Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by cjermain
I flew for the first time today since the end of February, but not on UA---on Delta for the first time in years. GJT->SLC->IAH. Was a very nice experience (FA in first class second leg was awesome, had the name of all passengers memorized before boarding). As long as there are airlines that will guarantee an empty seat next to me, I won't be flying UA, unfortunately.
Rumor has it Delta is removing the seat restrictions in September, especially in FC. They now want to book FC to 75% instead of the 50% they are capped at now to allow for physical distancing. Why 75% and not 100% if they're going to remove the physical distancing guidelines I don't know unless they want to make it easier for couples to sit next to each other. Southwest continues to offer no middle seats.

Originally Posted by cjermain
PS: I felt quite safe, except on the bus ride to the rental car center at IAH. The sign on the door said max 14 passengers, and they had 25 or so, quite crowded, and one near me had his mask down.
This is the same thing with the IAD people mover. They are supposedly limited to 50 people if I remember the sign correctly. Well, they're chock full every time I ride them (about 2x a week when I'm traveling). Not one person counting passengers, enforcing masks, etc.

Originally Posted by JWSCHERER
but do hope we have proper ice / cocktail service available.
So if you've been flying consistently then you know ice & cocktail service came back weeks ago. I would def expect it heading to Cabo. I am more curious if they cater the flights differently ex-Mexico now given Mexico has had a lot of flare ups as well.

-RM
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Rumor has it Delta is removing the seat restrictions in September, especially in FC. They now want to book FC to 75% instead of the 50% they are capped at now to allow for physical distancing. Why 75% and not 100% if they're going to remove the physical distancing guidelines I don't know unless they want to make it easier for couples to sit next to each other. Southwest continues to offer no middle seats.
Uh, no. Today's Delta e-mail:

David
Boraxo and DenverBrian like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2020 at 11:25 pm Reason: Snarky comment removed
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From the DL forum, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...h-jan-6-a.html, where it is best to discuss this.

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Some changes though. Groups of 3 can sit together and raise the overall cap as high as 75%. F on 2-1 regional aircraft will go up to 67%. Delta One 100%. No change fees extended through September 30th.
Delta Extends & Scales Back Seat Blocking Policy
Delta will block middle seats into January, but the airline plans to fill more of its seats
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RNE
*Nephew 3 (the savviest of the bunch) selected Hawaii.
No PPG?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:35 am
RNE

Originally Posted by findark
No PPG?
Those corn-fed Midwestern boys haven't heard of Pago Pago.
iluv2fly and findark like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
I have not flown since COVID but now I have to do a transcon round-trip for work.
Many of my colleagues have been traveling (much less but as needed to do their jobs) and we have been avoiding AA, and preferring DL/AS/WN over United because of middle seat blocking policies and general attitudes toward COVID safety.

I'm usually a pretty strict *A flyer but for these upcoming trips I'm looking at the alternatives. The pretty paltry offering at the lounges are also a factor, so what's the point of flying UA as *G if there are no perks/food.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by pprrff
I have not flown since COVID but now I have to do a transcon round-trip for work.
Many of my colleagues have been traveling (much less but as needed to do their jobs) and we have been avoiding AA, and preferring DL/AS/WN over United because of middle seat blocking policies and general attitudes toward COVID safety.

I'm usually a pretty strict *A flyer but for these upcoming trips I'm looking at the alternatives. The pretty paltry offering at the lounges are also a factor, so what's the point of flying UA as *G if there are no perks/food.
just curious but what type of employer requires people to fly for work during COVID? Can’t think of any companies around here that do unless you are a doctor or working on an oil rig.

I know everyone has their own requirements - personally I would value an empty middle seat over a lounge but I guess you can’t get either right now flying UA. Then again B6 has no lounges
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:01 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Uh, no. Today's Delta e-mail:
David
Wow. Making UA look bad. Come on...figure it out, UA.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
just curious but what type of employer requires people to fly for work during COVID?
Some lawyers I work with (remotely) are flying to eastern Texas for a trial which is running next week. If the judge is sitting the jury and holding the trial, they sort of have to go, if they want to keep their jobs.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
just curious but what type of employer requires people to fly for work during COVID? Can’t think of any companies around here that do unless you are a doctor or working on an oil rig.

I know everyone has their own requirements - personally I would value an empty middle seat over a lounge but I guess you can’t get either right now flying UA. Then again B6 has no lounges
In my case I have to go close-out a small office we have in the west coast without any staff left. There’s some equipment I need to recover, make final arrangements with landlord and dispose/sell of a company vehicle. If I could do it remotely Or had someone I could trust to sort through the equipment I would. The only other staff that could do this are out of the country.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Self employed but have partners and staffing needs require movement around the country. Mostly western US including Hawaii. I do have two partners that has refused to fly due to age and prior illness so the rest of us our picking up the duty. In my case it was either sink or swim and I am swimming. Travel comparatively speaking is still WAY DOWN over what I would normally due, I would say 25% of normal travel now.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Some lawyers I work with (remotely) are flying to eastern Texas for a trial which is running next week. If the judge is sitting the jury and holding the trial, they sort of have to go, if they want to keep their jobs.
Good point. Most everything in California is being handled remotely so we tend to forget that other states are open for business as usual (well, maybe with masks),
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Wow. Making UA look bad. Come on...figure it out, UA.
I find it fascinating that UA and Delta can look at the same market and come to such different conclusions about middle seat blocking. I likely won't fly UA until the pandemic subsides (even if it means a connection on Delta) but I feel like I'm not typical, maybe even a very rare exception. If the last two decades have shown anything, it's that the domestic market values 1. price and 2. route, and competing on anything else (product quality) simply wastes money. That's why I think UA is making the right move business-wise, even though I won't fly them.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
I still have some flying, but zero UA. After the MileagePlus Changes done I am out. I am taking my money elsewhere.

I guess being greedy towards money has some downturns, especially in a recession and crisis like this one.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by 330
I guess being greedy towards money has some downturns, especially in a recession and crisis like this one.
Haven't you watched that wonderful financial training film hosted by Gorden Gekko - greed is good! I actually don't blame UA specifically. The big three (and to a lesser extent SWA) were driven to the previous pricing model by Wall Street, which in turn were reflecting the views of the owners. The largest of which are retirement funds for everyday people - teachers, nurses, truck drivers, etc..

That said, if there's a silver lining to come from the pandemic, all those golden threads that were holding passengers captive to a particular airline and it's associated business model have either been broken or seriously weakened. Corporate contracts expiring, networks and fleets being drastically shrunk, frequent flyer programs devalued to the point of the average flyer seeing little to no benefit.

Taking a slightly optimistic view, there really seems to be an opening for new operators with new business models to come in and see if they can make a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.