Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Did you forget the "d." As in "p.t.s.d." service?
Yup.

What was the margarine for? The crackers?
Don't think that it was for the UA executives...

David
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:20 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DELee
Don't think that it was for the UA executives...David
Indeed. Unless it's some regional habit to slather margarine on crackers, that margarine is eating into the executive bonus money pool.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dkc192
I can mayyyybe accept the Dole fruit cup, but margarine? Seriously?
Remember no limes? Same airline!
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:57 am

SAT-IAH-SAT (as a matter of perspective, for those who don't know, short flight usually about 40 minutes in the air) in F

Outbound

Clear open and staffed. Modified precheck.

United Club-closed

Terminal-One shop and two coffee stands were open. Parking lot has opened another floor. No issue finding a close space.

SAT-IAH-was offered a pre-departure beverage other than the water already at the seat and an apology for the no ice coffee etc... Went with apple juice. FA came through the cabin once in the air and asked if I wanted anything else. Also, seat blocked next to me.

Inbound

Terminal-I only saw Wendys, a few stores, and coffee shops open. But they have opened more gates since I was there a few weeks ago and there was BA and Lufthansa, but with smaller equipment, Only one at security in Terminal E, clear was open, but no one was there. Modified TSA precheck screening.

United Club Terminal E-full bar available but no draft beer-free beer is Budweiser in the bottle. Very limited snacks and all packaged-carrots, gold fish, lays chips, granola bars, and pudding cups. Nice to see some of the staff I know. I was there 3:30 pm to about 6:15. For the first two hours I was one of four to five people in the club. More staff than customers. On a plus note, one of the others was Gordon Ramsey and we chatted for a bit about different topics. Only food related topic was about eating insects. He told me about recently eating spiders and we mostly spoke about airplanes, travel and Richard Branson. I did not let on that I knew who he was, and honestly didn't realize it until I asked him to look after my stuff while I went to the RR. He had already been there 5 hours when I get there and was not leaving until the later SFO flight.

IAH-SAT-No water, no contact with FA, Did announcements and sat in jump seat flipping through her phone. Never walked through. I did put this on the survey.

Normal service would have been PDB, and at least one pass through the cabin, if not two with drinks and snack basket. Am flight you also get a warmed scone or muffin. Although I have heard the FA's on this route pre-Covid call up to the cockpit to get them to say no there will be service because of weather/turbulence which was not true.

Ticket was not cheap and a D fare. It was about 20 percent more than normal for a D fare.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I may have a TRANSCON (not premium) trip later in July to Sacramento. Is UA not serving or providing liquor in First Class?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I may have a TRANSCON (not premium) trip later in July to Sacramento. Is UA not serving or providing liquor in First Class?
Wine and beer
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Wine and beer
Thanks!

I don't get it though. If you can hand out wine or beer why not a small nip bottle. I guess cost savings?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mh3265a
... I don't get it though. If you can hand out wine or beer why not a small nip bottle. I guess cost savings?
Likely a factor but as this thread has extensively debated this issue -- best to suggest reviewing the debate.

DL has cut all alcohol, AA is pretty unchanged and UA chose beer & wine. Each can find support for their thoughts with that wide diversion of responses.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
IAH-IAD in F - C1 UC was closed. Seats were not assigned in F until at the gate. No PDB, just a water bottle. Snack was a tapas or select box (which frankly is often better than pre-Covid F food). Beer was Next Coast IPA. I came away feeling that I had spent more for less than pre-COVID.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I booked a flight today that includes a 4 hour flight. If UA clubs are closed, we are supposed to live on a snack box that contains water and Purel? And that is for 1st Class up until 2 hours 20 minutes. What then? I have a 6 hour layover at ORD. I sure hope one club is open or we get some sort of food at the 2 hour 20 point. I’ll be watching this closely until my flight on 7/5, then adding to it. I wonder what other airlines are doing...
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thaliajen
I booked a flight today that includes a 4 hour flight. If UA clubs are closed, we are supposed to live on a snack box that contains water and Purel? And that is for 1st Class up until 2 hours 20 minutes. What then? I have a 6 hour layover at ORD. I sure hope one club is open or we get some sort of food at the 2 hour 20 point. I’ll be watching this closely until my flight on 7/5, then adding to it. I wonder what other airlines are doing...
Hate to ask: is AA an option? At least they're feeding folks in F.

David
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:41 pm

...I have a 6 hour layover at ORD. I sure hope one club is open or we get some sort of food at the 2 hour 20 point. ...
Expect only light package snacks. You have to find an open food vendor in the concourse.

... I wonder what other airlines are doing...
DL and nearly every other domestic carrier is worse than UA, AA is the only carrier providing anything resembling pre-COVID in-flight food service.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 24, 2020 at 9:02 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I am considering trying new airlines. I’m a Million Miler so I’m not worried about losing status. I need to check out other airlines. If UA can’t even feed 1st Class in a 4 hour flight, maybe it’s time to fly elsewhere. My July trip is United and my August trip is Polaris but beyond that, I’ll check others out.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just cancel and book on AA - the service might be a little wishy-washy, but the overall experience present-day will be much better than UA. Even better, cancel your UA ticket, book AA and then email 1KVoice with a copy of your AA ticket and UA cancelation receipt with a message about going where the service levels are appropriate.
DELee and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just cancel and book on AA - the service might be a little wishy-washy, but the overall experience present-day will be much better than UA. Even better, cancel your UA ticket, book AA and then email 1KVoice with a copy of your AA ticket and UA cancelation receipt with a message about going where the service levels are appropriate.
Agreed especially given the OP's concerns regarding availability of food and a long layover in ORD.

And UA's complete disregard for the Domestic F traveler right now.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.