Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To be fully vaccinated for the presently approved vaccines it takes 2 shots...
Agreed, the offset is 30 days, so instead of 100 days, it's probably 130 days, but that's manutiae. The broader point is a large Covid-free country, with a robust domestic economy, has shown us what domestic air travel looks like. What makes anyone think Americans will behave differently? Assuming Americans mirror the behavior above, it bodes well for UA financially. It also explains why UA's earnings call mentioned they are beginning 'heave maintenance' on the idle fleet. They think they'll need these birds later this year.

​​​
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Agreed, the offset is 30 days, so instead of 100 days, it's probably 130 days, but that's manutiae. The broader point is a large Covid-free country, with a robust domestic economy, has shown us what domestic air travel looks like. What makes anyone think Americans will behave differently? Assuming Americans mirror the behavior above, it bodes well for UA financially. It also explains why UA's earnings call mentioned they are beginning 'heave maintenance' on the idle fleet. They think they'll need these birds later this year.

​​​
Apples vs. oranges. Also, if you actually believe the other country is Covid-free, then you are sadly mistaken.

On topic, every time I am traveling from east coast to west coast, I fear the worst for UA, but then when I am traveling back to east coast from west coast, I remain hopeful for better days ahead at UA.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, the offset is 30 days, so instead of 100 days, it's probably 130 days, but that's manutiae.​​​
At a one million dose per day rate, which I believe the US just passed for the first time, with 330 million Americans, you're looking at nearly two years, not 130 days.

As far as the financial markets go, my interpretation is that the investment community has decided the airlines, including UA, are Too Big To Fail and that they will be propped up with endless government money until they can recover on their own. I believe all of the domestic airlines would otherwise either already be in bankruptcy proceedings or well on their way.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
with a robust domestic economy, has shown us what domestic air travel looks like.
​​​
Well, how many years until the US has a robust economy? Certainly not anytime soon.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Well, how many years until the US has a robust economy? Certainly not anytime soon.
Earnings reports are coming in substantially higher than Wall Street estimates.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
. As far as the financial markets go, my interpretation is that the investment community has decided the airlines, including UA, are Too Big To Fail and that they will be propped up with endless government money until they can recover on their own...
A stock price is simply the present value of future cash flows. The reason UA's stock price had doubled over the past few months is the investment community sees growing future cash flows. Stocks don't double due to handouts, they actually go down, because the handouts dilute the equity holders. And recall, the majority of the money airlines received was simply passed through to the employee base.

I actually find it amusing we're having a debate on whether UAs stock trajectory is up or down from this point forward.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2021 at 1:08 pm Reason: COVID vaccination projections removed per Moderator note; discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 26, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
6.7% unemployment (and that doesn't include those furloughed or stopped looking for work). Ten of thousands of small business out of business. Are all those hunger charities not needed? Trillions more in stimulus not needed?

I'm not convinced Wall Street estimates are a real reflection of the economy for people wanting to take a vacation but I hope you are right.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I actually find it amusing we're having a debate on whether UAs stock trajectory is up or down from this point forward.
If bankruptcy were foreseen, that would be reflected in the stock price.
jsloan, JimInOhio and ChurnieEls like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:34 pm

Boom! And so it begins...

If Thailand follows through, I could see UA turning SIN back on which would consume 4-5 long-haul birds. Assuming a few countries definitively announce such reopening policies in Feb, it will impact forward bookings in March, which will make for a very well-received UA earnings call in early April!

Anyone thinking of shorting UA stock, as described above, may want to reconsider given the recent re-opening sentiment from Hawaii and now Thailand.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
6.7% unemployment (and that doesn't include those furloughed or stopped looking for work). Ten of thousands of small business out of business. Are all those hunger charities not needed? Trillions more in stimulus not needed?

I'm not convinced Wall Street estimates are a real reflection of the economy for people wanting to take a vacation but I hope you are right.
My point wasn't about Wall Street estimates. It was about how companies are reporting actual Q4 earnings much higher than those estimates. Higher real earnings must be indicative, in some way, of the economy being in better shape than people have been claiming.
SPN Lifer and ChurnieEls like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A stock price is simply the present value of future cash flows.
Tell that to GameStop investors.
tcdtcd and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Not for any businesses related to travel and tourism. We can't compare Microsoft to United.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
If bankruptcy were foreseen, that would be reflected in the stock price.
I wouldn't consider the stock price an accurate crystal ball, only a hope and dream often driven by stupidity, because:

Originally Posted by jsloan
Tell that to GameStop investors.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Keeping strictly to UA, as has been mentioned already in this thread, UA debt is trading around par thus the market clearly thinks there is no significant Ch.11 risk or otherwise that debt would be trading at a material discount.

Indeed their issuance back in June was oversubscribed.
SPN Lifer and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
...thus the market clearly thinks there is no significant Ch.11 risk or otherwise that debt would be trading at a material discount..
The "market" is not exactly a leading indicator. Its forecast of the future of United, or America's global airlines in general, is not entrenched in reality given that we have no idea what reality really is or will be even 30 days from now. One mutant strain that slips past today's vaccines requiring a do-over and another round of vaccinations, with the risk that this scenario might repeat over and over, will send the airline industry into a very long, but abrupt tail-spin.

The key issue is whether or not United management has a realistic Plan B to deal with type of outcome, or if they are still in this stage of their forecast:

Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The "market" is not exactly a leading indicator. Its forecast of the future of United, or America's global airlines in general, is not entrenched in reality given that we have no idea what reality really is or will be even 30 days from now. One mutant strain that slips past today's vaccines requiring a do-over and another round of vaccinations, with the risk that this scenario might repeat over and over, will send the airline industry into a very long, but abrupt tail-spin.

The key issue is whether or not United management has a realistic Plan B to deal with type of outcome, or if they are still in this stage of their forecast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRnv7Pp9T5Y
You do realize that the price the debt trades at is forward looking, right?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2021 at 7:31 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.