Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by exp
Wonder if the deal Aeroplan just announced with Chase UR will siphon any UA MP elites, at least at the margins.

Let's see, if it's still true, after the temporary MP qualification levels are gone, that AC flights can earn more PQP than UA's own flights, the last thing they need was an enticement of transferring UR to Aeroplan.
If you are crediting AC flights to earn more PQP (maybe due to partner PQP cap), how are you utiilizing Aeroplan in anyway?

Personally, I have no interest in any co-branded airline credit card due to its limited earning potential, and it locks you into one program.

Side note, I am still waiting for my award taxes/fee refund from Air Canada cancelled in April 2020. Grass is not greener on the other side...
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: Many
UA now expects average daily cash burn to rise to between $34 million & $36 million

Cash burn accelerates again

Two months ago, United Airlines reported average daily cash burn of $25 million for the third quarter, including average debt principal and severance payments of $4 million per day. That marked an improvement from cash burn of $40 million per day in the second quarter.

Entering Q4, management expected daily cash burn to average $25 million to $30 million for the period, including debt principal and severance payments averaging $10 million per day. However, the COVID-19 pandemic has taken a turn for the worse since October. Last month, United was one of several airlines to report a slowdown in air travel demand and bookings. However, at the time, the company stuck by its initial cash burn forecast for the quarter.

In an investor update issued last Friday, United acknowledged that booking trends had continued to deteriorate. As a result, the company now expects revenue to plunge 70% year over year this quarter, compared to its prior guidance for a 67% revenue decline.

More importantly, United now expects average daily cash burn to rise to between $34 million and $36 million this quarter. That still includes $10 million per day for debt principal and severance payments. The increase in projected cash burn was driven in part by a shift in the timing of certain cash flows -- which shouldn't be a concern for investors -- but also by the drop in booking activity.

Digging a deeper hole

Prior to the recent guidance update, United Airlines had expected to end the year with nearly $19 billion of liquidity. Factoring in the new forecast for higher cash burn, the company's year-end liquidity might be closer to $18 billion. Liquidity could increase further if United sells more stock under its ongoing at-the-market equity offering. Thus, there's no real risk that United would run out of cash. Furthermore, in the recent investor update, management said that it expects demand to recover meaningfully by next summer, thanks to the global rollout of COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...s-q4-forecast/

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2020 at 7:52 pm Reason: Moved to existing / ongoing discussion
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Poor planning from UA to some extent. One didn't need to be a super genius to see some of this coming. Have been looking at their ridiculous new BOS-Florida flights a few days ago and they were all PZ9 with I/IN wide open. Definitely not selling; a r/t was selling for $41 ... not kidding. So I am not sure how much sympathy I have for an airline that has started a ton of speculative new routes in the middle of a pandemic and now realizes that things are not selling.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dsftm
In an investor update issued last Friday,
Posted last week here

this is the key statement
Originally Posted by dsftm
there's no real risk that United would run out of cash.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Poor planning from UA to some extent. One didn't need to be a super genius to see some of this coming. Have been looking at their ridiculous new BOS-Florida flights a few days ago and they were all PZ9 with I/IN wide open. Definitely not selling; a r/t was selling for $41 ... not kidding. So I am not sure how much sympathy I have for an airline that has started a ton of speculative new routes in the middle of a pandemic and now realizes that things are not selling.
In September, and even in to October, the sentiment and booking trends were very, very different. Demand is unpredictable right now and there’s no precedent for airlines to manage through this.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fly18725
In September, and even in to October, the sentiment and booking trends were very, very different. Demand is unpredictable right now and there’s no precedent for airlines to manage through this.
I would tend to disagree and what data did UA have to start a ton of new routes with zero historical experience? In the midst of a pandemic?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:06 am

I would tend to disagree and what data did UA have to start a ton of new routes with zero historical experience? In the midst of a pandemic?
Booking trends. Literally people buying tickets to/from the destinations being served.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
BE tickets on select days of the week to get people down to Orlando during winter months (thru. February 10, 2021). UA filed this fare for purchase only until this Friday, may or may not extend.

The load is pretty good on a random day I pulled up (Dec 28). Most of the days have fares higher than $41 roundtrip.

PZ9 since most are leisure travelers.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Completely agree - this is really common sense 101. Literally everyone with scientific knowledge was warning about a second surge, yet United among other airlines and various businesses assumed this was all wrapped up and done last May-June and happy days are close at hand. Wrong. When the smart money is telling you months ago there is a dark winter coming with a major surge of new cases, you plan for that, not a forecast of sunshine that is nothing more than a hope and dream.

Yes, are people still flying to Florida for the winter? Sure, even Canadians are crashing across the border and running for Florida, Arizona, Palm Springs, etc - but we're talking numbers down 80% vs 2018-2019, and even US based travelers who would be making these trips are now opting to stay home or travel local. It's not really rocket science to know that you cannot make a forecast in this industry until there is a vaccine or treatment, and widely accepted standards that can determine who can or should be traveling to various destinations - only when that is clear do you dust off your expansion plans and get moving. Since the travel industry has never, ever faced this kind of scenario before, it's not really the right time to be swinging for the fences and taking a chance, data or not.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2020 at 8:40 pm Reason: Removed inappropriate characterization per FT Rule12.2
Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Completely agree - this is really common sense 101. Literally everyone with scientific knowledge was warning about a second surge, yet United among other airlines and various businesses assumed this was all wrapped up and done last May-June and happy days are close at hand. Wrong. When the smart money is telling you months ago there is a dark winter coming with a major surge of new cases, you plan for that, not a forecast of sunshine that is nothing more than a hope and dream.

Yes, are people still flying to Florida for the winter? Sure, even Canadians are crashing across the border and running for Florida, Arizona, Palm Springs, etc - but we're talking numbers down 80% vs 2018-2019, and even US based travelers who would be making these trips are now opting to stay home or travel local. It's not really rocket science to know that you cannot make a forecast in this industry until there is a vaccine or treatment, and widely accepted standards that can determine who can or should be traveling to various destinations - only when that is clear do you dust off your expansion plans and get moving. Since the travel industry has never, ever faced this kind of scenario before, it's not really the right time to be swinging for the fences and taking a chance, data or not.
Vaccine is being rolled out NOW.

If I am not mistaken, every major US carrier has had new routes this year. Running a business requires fortitude and taking calculated risks. Yes, we are still very much in a pandemic, but should UA (and other airlines) just give up and shutter their operations? New routes may or may not work, before or during COVID, this will be a similar test.

B6 is expected to announced major routes into MIA. The reaction in that thread is much cheerful than here.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Vaccine is being rolled out NOW.

If I am not mistaken, every major US carrier has had new routes this year. Running a business requires fortitude and taking calculated risks. Yes, we are still very much in a pandemic, but should UA (and other airlines) just give up and shutter their operations? New routes may or may not work, before or during COVID, this will be a similar test.

B6 is expected to announced major routes into MIA. The reaction in that thread is much cheerful than here.
The vaccine is months away from widespread distribution to the general public, and probably a numbers of months after that before anyone can tell for sure that the virus is truly subsiding - then there are details to work out on who can travel where internationally, or whether travel will pick up, to what level and to where. There is a dramatic difference between being prudent, conservative and taking a wait-and-see approach before big investments vs "giving up and shuttering their operations". The middle of a global health crisis that has all but grounded travel is not the right time for testing how routes would perform under normal circumstances - and all of this from a company that is burning cash faster than my fireplace burns gas, and is probably ready to come back to the US taxpayer weeping with its hand out for free giveaways of cash to reward irresponsible behavior.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The vaccine is months away from widespread distribution to the general public, and probably a numbers of months after that before anyone can tell for sure that the virus is truly subsiding - then there are details to work out on who can travel where internationally, or whether travel will pick up, to what level and to where. There is a dramatic difference between being prudent, conservative and taking a wait-and-see approach before big investments vs "giving up and shuttering their operations". The middle of a global health crisis that has all but grounded travel is not the right time for testing how routes would perform under normal circumstances - and all of this from a company that is burning cash faster than my fireplace burns gas, and is probably ready to come back to the US taxpayer weeping with its hand out for free giveaways of cash to reward irresponsible behavior.
Random date - most of the main cabin non-E+ seats seem to have been reserved

Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Random date - most of the main cabin non-E+ seats seem to have been reserved
Well we all know on FT that you can't equate booking levels by the seat map - however, if United needs to price at $41-71 a seat to put people on these flights, that's not exactly "winning" unless they plan on selling onboard sandwiches for $200 and making the purchase mandatory.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well we all know on FT that you can't equate booking levels by the seat map - however, if United needs to price at $41-71 a seat to put people on these flights, that's not exactly "winning" unless they plan on selling onboard sandwiches for $200 and making the purchase mandatory.
Those fares are only available for selected flights and on selected days of the week over the next few weeks, and needs to be purchased by Friday unless UA extends the sale. Sometimes you price certain routes to be loss leader in order attract new customers. It's one route out of thousands UA operates daily. I wouldn't use this as the measuring stick for UA finances.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booking trends. Literally people buying tickets to/from the destinations being served.
Probably IM & yield management software is overwhelmed given the current, unusual booking & travel conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.