Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2020, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
AA has now, surprisingly, gotten into bed with the 2 best non big 4 airlines in the USA. I wonder if this move will have an impact on the future viability of UA. If you count AA, AS and B6 as one then they pretty much cover everywhere better than UA, except for Asia which is dead for the foreseeable future. I always thought AA would be the most likely to go belly up first but perhaps their moves have strengthened them a bit. With DL’s better financial metrics it’s looking like UA may be the first to take the plunge into Covid related BK.
But AA only made these moves because their own franchise was weak in these two respective areas? How is that a signal of strength and impending domineering over UAL? AA can make this (an un-elegant codeshare) work for them, sure, but not at the expense of UAL.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bear96
Most if not all of the world's major airlines are going to have to go through some sort of reorganizational bankruptcy (and/or get a massive cash injection from their respective governments or some other benefactor), or shut down, in the next 1-5 years. Get used to it.
I would say, at least for US airlines, it needs to be an absolute requirement that before any additional subsidies are paid by taxpayers, all shareholder equity must be terminated via Ch11, and going forward, the taxpayer assumes full equity ownership of the affected airlines using taxpayer funds to keep them viable until the situation stabilizes in 24-36 months, after which the airline can emerge from bankruptcy, and then re-issue new shares with 100% of the proceeds paid to the US Treasury.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's stay focused on UA situation and not wander into future bailout conditions nor into a fundamental restructuring of the airline industry -- those are OMNI subjects and are not UA specific.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:12 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
General article on unlikelihood of business travel rebounding any time soon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urce=applenews

So what does UA do, reduce premium cabins?

Stop all Polaris conversion work?

Raise prices for J fares?

Lower prices for J fares?

If it does take several years for business travel to approach 2019 levels again, do the airlines just drastically reduce premium cabin capacity?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exp
If it does take several years for business travel to approach 2019 levels again, do the airlines just drastically reduce premium cabin capacity?
I still think the entire industry files bankruptcy - and all the airlines look to the courts to try to slash any lease agreements, labor contracts, future obligations, etc.....
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
General article on unlikelihood of business travel rebounding any time soon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urce=applenews

So what does UA do, reduce premium cabins?

Stop all Polaris conversion work?

Raise prices for J fares?

Lower prices for J fares?

Once government aid stops, they'll probably simply have to reduce capacity, period, until that drives fares up enough to be sustainable. If the dire predictions about business travel not coming back are correct, the whole industry will have to rebalance to a new normal and will be much smaller. They are not going to be able to fly half-empty planes around indefinitely, or survive by filling them only with super-cheap fares.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Once government aid stops, they'll probably simply have to reduce capacity, period, until that drives fares up enough to be sustainable. If the dire predictions about business travel not coming back are correct, the whole industry will have to rebalance to a new normal and will be much smaller. They are not going to be able to fly half-empty planes around indefinitely, or survive by filling them only with super-cheap fares.
Well they might have helped themselves by going all in on mask wearing and actually following through on what (United at least did not) was promised re social distancing. I have gotten clear messaging from Delta and Alaska, and have flown them since I put my covid-19 pause on in February. United (and AA is as bad) they just reek lack of safety and a willingness to put a few short term $$$ over the longer term outlook, and I am not flying them.

United bet of the "it will all magically disappear, we will be down to zero cases by spring" and as cases instead climb to 2-3x what they were in the spring, the bill for that bad bet is coming in the form of chapter 11. Just sorry that employees are once again going to take it on the chin for short sighted management.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
United bet of the "it will all magically disappear, we will be down to zero cases by spring" and as cases instead climb to 2-3x what they were in the spring, the bill for that bad bet is coming in the form of chapter 11. ....
That seems to be an odd observation as UA has made the deepest cuts in service and has been roundly criticized on FT for taking a more conservative / pessimistic recovery position than the other majors in the US.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
Well they might have helped themselves by going all in on mask wearing and actually following through on what (United at least did not) was promised re social distancing.
No airline is going to be able to block out huge chunks of its inventory for social distancing for very long at current fares. Tough decisions are going to have to be made.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA MM
No airline is going to be able to block out huge chunks of its inventory for social distancing for very long at current fares. Tough decisions are going to have to be made.
The best thing that could happen for UA (and others) is for the government to mandate load factor maximum limits and then compensate the airlines for that. It will help make flying feel safer and more attractive to the public while providing the necessary cash to the airlines in return.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The best thing that could happen for UA (and others) is for the government to mandate load factor maximum limits and then compensate the airlines for that. It will help make flying feel safer and more attractive to the public while providing the necessary cash to the airlines in return.
I agree that would be a dream for both airlines and passengers, but why should the government pump even more money to the airlines and subsidize airline passengers like that? Not a good use of taxpayer money IMO.

People who want to fly should pay the full cost of that choice. There is no constitutional right to cheap airfare.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 21, 2020 at 2:01 pm Reason: unneeded phrase removed
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:27 pm

UA Announces Q2 2020 Financial Results 21 July / Conference Call 22 July

United Airlines Took Industry-Leading Steps to Manage Historic Impact of COVID-19 in Q2

CHICAGO, July 21, 2020
-- United Airlines (UAL) today announced second quarter 2020 financial results, the most difficult financial quarter in its 94-year history, with a net loss of $1.6 billion, and an adjusted net loss¹ of $2.6 billion. Total operating revenues were down 87.1% year-over-year, on an 87.8 percent decrease in capacity year-over-year. The company's total liquidity as of the close of business on Monday, July 20, 2020 was approximately $15.2 billion. United now expects liquidity at the end of the third quarter to be over $18 billion.

Cash burn2 during the second quarter averaged $40 million a day, including $3 million of principal payments and severance expenses. The company currently is forecasting average daily cash burn to be approximately $25 million during the third quarter of 2020 including $6 million of principal repayments and severance expenses.

United believes it did the best job of matching actual capacity to demand among its largest network peers. The company also expects to finish the quarter with the lowest average daily cash burn among large network carriers.

Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:52 pm

I agree that would be a dream for both airlines and passengers, but why should the government pump even more money to the airlines and subsidize airline passengers like that? Not a good use of taxpayer money IMO.

People who want to fly should pay the full cost of that choice. There is no constitutional right to cheap airfare.
I thought of that very question. The compensation is basically from the government's desire to implement social distancing of some sort. Let's remember Anthony Fauci called full planes "problematic" if I remember the wording right.

I'm not suggesting the government simply "buy" 30% of the seats on every flight in the country just to leave them empty. Instead, I think they could work something out which would cost less than that. I also don't think this just becomes a sunk cost for the government. Improved public confidence (if it happens) helps support employment and reduce unemployment benefits burden, increases economic activity, etc.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I thought of that very question. The compensation is basically from the government's desire to implement social distancing of some sort.
Airlines (and other industries) have to comply with a lot of safety regulations imposed by the government without the government directly compensating them for complying.

Improved public confidence (if it happens) helps support employment and reduce unemployment benefits burden, increases economic activity, etc.
I think there are a lot better ways to achieve those goals rather than payments to for-profit companies.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:30 am

Airlines (and other industries) have to comply with a lot of safety regulations imposed by the government without the government directly compensating them for complying.
I see your point but it's not quite the same thing. Sure, there are all kinds of costs associated with doing business and some of them are related to safety compliance. Mandating a max load factor is a forced reduction in revenue, not an increase in cost (which is actually lower).

I think there are a lot better ways to achieve those goals rather than payments to for-profit companies.
Oh, there are. So far we've found about three trillion ways to deal with this. I don't think my idea is worse than all of the others.
tcdtcd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.