Surely the demand is exceeding supply

Old Jun 29, 20, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Surely the demand is exceeding supply

I have flown 4 flights in the last few weeks. All flights were 100% full. IAH-SNA is running 1 flight daily. IAH-LAX is running 2 - 1pm and 1am with A319's. Loads seem to be 100%. Surely with those markets, UA needs to add another flight. I tried to make a change to my return from SNA and the only way I managed was to set an alert on EF. As well, F seems to be full a week out.
Old Jun 29, 20, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
...IAH-LAX is running 2 - 1pm and 1am with A319's....
You mean LAX-IAH? I wouldn't think UA had a 1am to LAX from IAH.

Maybe United is either providing no flights or flights that are full to limit encountering too many customers
Old Jun 29, 20, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
With increasing COVID numbers, this is a tough call. Traffic is increasing (per TSA numbers but that is potentially showing some flattening) as is COVID, which will create the narrative for July is uncertain. AA is betting on traffic increases with continued, the others are not as outwardly optimistic

The coming holiday weekend will create some anomalies. The airlines know what the sales for rest of July and August are.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 20 at 2:27 pm Reason: July/Aug
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
I've been solicited to volunteer for DB more times in the past two weeks than I was the entirety of 2019 (based on flight availability I declined all and I didn't hear anyone actually get picked...but still... Capacity seems to be at best at parity with demand if not slightly lagging for domestic flights... INTL would seem to be a different can of worms entirely.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:29 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
My data point. Flying a short hop IAH-MSY and back. UA has 2 flights per day, each full or nearly full, at $235 and (way) up with short notice. WN has 4 flights per day at $129. I am guessing UA is restricting supply to keep planes full and fares up. They would rather leave planes parked on the taxiways at IAH. Since I do not have to worry about status, guess who is going to fly WN.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:31 pm

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I had to fly American because: United was 3 times the cost for Coach compared to American in First. United flight was almost 7 hours connecting vs American 1.5 hours non-stop. Crappy flight times for United. One flight bookable per day vs 6+.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walkerci View Post
I had to fly American because: United was 3 times the cost for Coach compared to American in First. United flight was almost 7 hours connecting vs American 1.5 hours non-stop. Crappy flight times for United. One flight bookable per day vs 6+.
Would that be 6+ on AA currently or on pre-Covid UA?
Old Jun 29, 20, 4:40 pm

Well, domestic capacity is going up like 75% from June to July. I think this concern that demand is outstripping supply is not going to be an issue pretty soon.
Old Jun 29, 20, 5:23 pm

Anecdotal but im a UAX pilot whose base is closed so now commuting to IAH and i have about triple the options on AA vs UAL. The flights i fly on the 145 always have 40 plus pax and we've had multiple legs oversold. Mainline UAL pilots always complained to me that UAL is directionless and reactionary. That seems to be the case. Im checking multiple flights in july trying to work out my commute and theres already legs that are negative seats available and im gonna have to triple leg it to get to work if i take UAL.
Kacee and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Falconkidding View Post
...Mainline UAL pilots always complained to me that UAL is directionless and reactionary...
I believe this. DL, American, and Hawaiian are picking up the passengers UA is leaving in a lurch. Either because of price or schedule (or, in some cases, non-schedule), UA, IMHO, might be annoying more of it's frequent flyers than AA, WN, or DL are.
Dyce, Kacee and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Just the opposite here. short notive PHL-LAX AA is 2X EWR-LAX. I don't have 2X reasons to go out of PHL
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 7:16 pm

Programs: United 1K
i had a similar decision to make last week. Was thinking of flying instead of driving from somewhere near GSP back to PIT. Of course no nonstops by anyone. Similar connections and total times. UA: $650. AA: $250
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:21 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by arisaa View Post
My data point. Flying a short hop IAH-MSY and back. UA has 2 flights per day, each full or nearly full, at $235 and (way) up with short notice. WN has 4 flights per day at $129. I am guessing UA is restricting supply to keep planes full and fares up. They would rather leave planes parked on the taxiways at IAH. Since I do not have to worry about status, guess who is going to fly WN.
I want to fly home early tomorrow. UA has Y=0 and J=1 for $859. WN has several flights for me to chose from at $129.
Old Jun 29, 20, 9:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1K
Originally Posted by arisaa View Post
And on WN the center seat is blocked. UA lost my short term business when they started to fill the planes to 100%. So at least until end of Sept I'll most likely be on WN domestic
MojaveFlyer and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Capacity management. Apparently UA management and ops thinks is the cat's meow at this point.

Whatever.

Similar: LAX-IAD/IAD-LAX has only 1 NS flight per day. Any guesses how not empty each flight is?

David

Search this Thread
Search Engine: