Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
But wasn't the question whether it makes sense to operate a flight for mostly leisure passengers vs leaving it parked on the tarmac? The only relevant fixed costs in this case are the crew since they're paying for the aircraft regardless.
No. You still have to account for all of the fuel -- not just the marginal fuel requirements for each passenger, but the baseline amount required to get the plane into the air. You also have to remember that maintenance schedules for planes are based on the number of service hours, so each flight brings you a little closer to the next heavy maintenance check.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If this notion of leisure-only flights is truly cash-negative for UA, they wouldn't have added all of these new Florida flights in the middle of a pandemic.
That's fair; there must be some additional factors at play, such as keeping pilots current, meeting contractual minima, etc. But there's also a big difference between the costs involved in operating a network of regional Florida flights and returning 787s to service to fly to Singapore.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Outside of a miraculous event, I would say everyone will be filing by Q4 - I am just trying to time my purchase of puts across the industry. I think this is best for the business in general - dump the shareholders, renegotiate the contracts, get rid of excess leased capacity and maybe clean house at the management level and board, then start over with a clean slate based on the 'new normal'.
There doesn't have to be any new normal. Airlines are getting smoked and most people keep buying the baloney, hook line sinker. I'm sure United loves the paranoia....not.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
corporate travel, especially lucrative overseas business travel will be near zero in 1H21 and anemic at best in 2H21.

Remember that vaccines for kids are not available and won't be for a while and then that needs to roll out. So family vacation to Hawaii or overseas ... 2022 at the earliest.

I love the optimism ... but let's get down to reality
Totally agree on corporate travel. Somewhat disagree on travel RE kids (unless it is shown that new variants affect kids with greater virulence than the previous strains). I do agree that vaccines for kids will not be available for a while, something my kids cannot quite comprehend
Old Jan 28, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The whole argument of "well I have learned I can do everything from Zoom. we'll never go back to flying in for meetings etc" is bunk. Everybody said that during the Great Recession (albeit of course Webex the big one then wasn't what is possible now) but look how the growth of the 2010-2020 period was for business travel and companies paying for business class. UA wouldn't have dropped hundreds of millions on Polaris lounges otherwise. Likely the shift back to business travel will take much longer than leisure as we know, and in the next few years biz travel demand will go up and at some unknown point will be back where it was unless some unknown economic calamities continue. Businesses realize the value of face-to-face interactions. Just because they've been able to stay in business with Zoom, perhaps companies whose employees are more willing to get back in the skies will prosper more than those relying on Zoom? Nobody knows! But business-travel-is-dead is nonsensical.
st3 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
The whole argument of "well I have learned I can do everything from Zoom. we'll never go back to flying in for meetings etc" is bunk. Everybody said that during the Great Recession (albeit of course Webex the big one then wasn't what is possible now) but look how the growth of the 2010-2020 period was for business travel and companies paying for business class. UA wouldn't have dropped hundreds of millions on Polaris lounges otherwise. Likely the shift back to business travel will take much longer than leisure as we know, and in the next few years biz travel demand will go up and at some unknown point will be back where it was unless some unknown economic calamities continue. Businesses realize the value of face-to-face interactions. Just because they've been able to stay in business with Zoom, perhaps companies whose employees are more willing to get back in the skies will prosper more than those relying on Zoom? Nobody knows! But business-travel-is-dead is nonsensical.
Not so fast. The "Great Recession" was an economic, albeit a credit crisis. This is a health crisis - totally different, although this crisis includes economic damage. People are not avoiding travel because of economic reasons, they are avoiding travel because they learned in a very ugly way that other people have cooties, and interacting face to face is risk and icky. No one wants to go into an office and shake hands, and no one wants a stranger in their office offering to shake hands. Vaccines don't cure the 'ick' factor because they don't prevent you from getting the virus, they only prevent or reduce the risk of getting sick from the virus, so the ick of someone sneezing on you and delivering a pathogen you don't want nor need, is still just as much there with the vaccine.

The move to remote work from local employees in local offices, at least in North America, is dramatic and likely permanent in many business where hands-on work isn't needed. This spill-over into most of the use cases for business travel is also likely permanent. Many people will still travel for business, many have no choice, but looking at the totality of change, the heydays of 2018-2019 are gone, likely for good....and United didn't drop hundreds of millions in Polaris with coronavirus in mind.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

The move to remote work from local employees in local offices, at least in North America, is dramatic and likely permanent in many business where hands-on work isn't needed. This spill-over into most of the use cases for business travel is also likely permanent. Many people will still travel for business, many have no choice, but looking at the totality of change, the heydays of 2018-2019 are gone, likely for good....and United didn't drop hundreds of millions in Polaris with coronavirus in mind.
There will be practically no business travel in 2021. With that said, business travel will be a new normal when competitors are face to face with prospects and others are left in the dust over zoom calls. Likely sometime in 2022 starting slow and picking up.
SPN Lifer, st3 and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:58 am

Indeed, United themselves have just announced they are giving up 3 of their 17 floors at the Willis Tower.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Indeed, United themselves have just announced they are giving up 3 of their 17 floors at the Willis Tower.
Really nothing to do with remote work than empty space from people losing jobs.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Really nothing to do with remote work than empty space from people losing jobs.
Really it's both furloughs and remote working that has caused it. All Willis department leaders were asked to submit who needs a desk there and who doesn't.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtrav

Not sure how remote working connects with business travel. I know many people in the tech field that WFH and have no office cube but spend the majority of their time traveling to client sites. A lot of the business travel will never come back move to zoom talk that I encounter is coming from 'business consultants' who are trying to sell a concept to fit the current environment. Some of who ironically are trying to schedule face to face meetings... I actually sat next to one on a flight last week.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Vaccines don't cure the 'ick' factor because they don't prevent you from getting the virus, they only prevent or reduce the risk of getting sick from the virus, so the ick of someone sneezing on you and delivering a pathogen you don't want nor need, is still just as much there with the vaccine.
This assertion is stated as if it is scientific fact, when it is not at all clear one way or the other the extent to which it is or isn't true. Obviously, discussing whether it is or isn't true is OMNI material and not on-topic for this forum, but if we are assessing the effects of vaccination on future business prospects of UA, the uncertain validity of this assertion needs to be taken into account.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Daily cash burn in Q4 20, per financial reports. UA is in the middle of the pack:
DL $12 Millions,
UA $19 M;
AA $30 M

Just questionable if the numbers are based on identical metrics, and thus comparable?
Spanish likes this.

Last edited by cesco.g; Jan 29, 2021 at 1:41 pm Reason: added Q
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My company is itching to have us come back to the office and resume business travel as soon as it is deemed safe to do so.

I have greatly enjoyed working remotely instead of going into the windowless coal mine, err, I meant office, every day, and 90% of what I did pre-Covid when not traveling was talking to people on the phone in other states, which of course can be done from anywhere. (My company is not that enlightened and still sees a lot of value with in-person "face time." )

However, the Covid business travel limitation has shown that 99% of what I traveled for is much more effective and better done by traveling and meeting in person rather than via awkward videoconference.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by Bear96; Jan 29, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Old Feb 19, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
What a great week for United.

1. UAL stock soars, leading a broader airline rally
2. New BOS-LHR service
3. Retaliated against Jetblue's EWR encroachment
4. $1B of taxis ordered

Looks like UA is positioned to thrive coming out of the Pandemic. As entertaining as this thread was over the past year, the final chapter is one where UA took a few dollars from the govt, but didn't end up needing any of it. Hopefully the loan will be paid back shortly, followed by the resumption of share buybacks!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
What a great week for United.

1. UAL stock soars, leading a broader airline rally
2. New BOS-LHR service
3. Retaliated against Jetblue's EWR encroachment
4. $1B of taxis ordered

Looks like UA is positioned to thrive coming out of the Pandemic. As entertaining as this thread was over the past year, the final chapter is one where UA took a few dollars from the govt, but didn't end up needing any of it. Hopefully the loan will be paid back shortly, followed by the resumption of share buybacks!
This assumes many things.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.