FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19: PL/UCs Suspended Ops; 40 UCs are now opened; All PLs open. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2013274-covid19-pl-ucs-suspended-ops-40-ucs-now-opened-all-pls-open.html)

WineCountryUA May 1, 2020 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 32341209)
I’m taking a trip to London in late July( I’m going regardless of how things are, only thing that would stop work from letting me go is a 14 day quarantine in london) do you think the Ord Polaris lounge will be open by then. ....

IMO, no -- Q4 maybe.

cesco.g May 1, 2020 12:27 pm

In case of continued reduced inflight J-catering, I would see the PL dining & beverage offerings (incl sit-down restaurant) to be even more appropriate than pre-Covid!

Xyzzy May 1, 2020 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 32341209)
I’m taking a trip to London in late July( I’m going regardless of how things are, only thing that would stop work from letting me go is a 14 day quarantine in london) do you think the Ord Polaris lounge will be open by then. My thought is 90% because it’s a major hub and they will for sure have international Polaris pax by then. However I’m inclined to believe that lax, Houston, definitely Dulles might now be open. With only ewr,sfo, and Ord open.

I don't expect any Polaris lounges to be :open until after July.

Ari May 2, 2020 12:01 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32341229)
IMO, no -- Q4 maybe.

Sounds about right. Perhaps late Q3.

thaliajen May 18, 2020 7:51 am

I’ve got a trip to Greece planned, my 3rd Polaris Flight but the club’s weren’t done yet when I flew from EWR. My flight isn’t until August but I’m wondering if I’m just not meant to see these meccas. In fact, my flight was from ORD-EWR-ATH, so 2 chances at a club. But who knows? August might be too early to travel?

If anyone hears of clubs opening, please do post a reply or PM me!

chemengin May 18, 2020 4:44 pm

I'm also interested in the board's thoughts on Polaris lounge reopening timeline + expected service changes (no buffet?).

WineCountryUA May 18, 2020 5:03 pm

I would be surprised if there are many reopenings much before Q4 and buffets will likely be restricted by local health codes for longer.

Originally Posted by thaliajen (Post 32385062)
.... If anyone hears of clubs opening ....

You can "subscribe" to threads to get a notification.

Click on the Thread Tools dropdown or look for the Subscribe button below the last post in the thread.

cesco.g May 18, 2020 10:55 pm

My guess on the PL reopening would be EWR, SFO. ORD being among the first three.

UA_Flyer May 19, 2020 5:14 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 32386820)
My guess on the PL reopening would be EWR, SFO. ORD being among the first three.

I expect it will be later than sooner.

There has to be enough flights to make a business case for the reopening of PL.

With most of the countries likely won’t open the borders to fully while creating regional “bubbles” for air travels, it would not surprise me it will be 2021 for any lounges to be reopened if international travels are still restricted for the rest of 2020.

I agree SFO will most likely be the first, follow by EWR, and ORD later. Not sure how to make of LAX P.L.

eng3 May 19, 2020 8:36 am

Over the past few years, my intl travel has migrated from biz to personal. I've been holding off on booking any leisure travel to make my GPUs more "worth it" so PL and J service returning to "normal" becomes a factor (as well as borders and tourist attractions opening ofcourse). I'm glad they've extended the expiration. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a trip before the end of the year otherwise those PP will get backed up. I wonder what will become of the IAD PL.

cesco.g May 19, 2020 11:45 am

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 32387641)
Over the past few years, my intl travel has migrated from biz to personal. I've been holding off on booking any leisure travel to make my GPUs more "worth it" so PL and J service returning to "normal" becomes a factor (as well as borders and tourist attractions opening ofcourse). I'm glad they've extended the expiration. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a trip before the end of the year otherwise those PP will get backed up. I wonder what will become of the IAD PL.

Given cash preservation being the highest priority, work at IAD might be postponed for quite some time.
Hope you have a chance to use some of your GPU-points! (I am in a similar position ......)

bocastephen May 22, 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 32387641)

This is how I am looking at things - I do not need to travel, I *want* to travel, so my approach for the rest of the year given that I no longer need to requalify for 2021 is to use PPs or miles and fly late summer or early fall, but if the product is not ready, then I am not going to waste the points or miles on it, I will either take a different airline or just not go at all. I will not pay for a dumbed-down product regardless of the excuse used by the airline to justify the service reductions.

The lounges can re-open when demand is there, but the only thing separating the old food service from the new possible new food service standards is the behavior of customers and the willingness of staff to supervise them - United has apparently instructed its lounge contract staff that they are to have no contact with customers regarding behavior, rules or issues within the club - this dumb policy needs to change. If someone is found to be violating safe food handling standards, they should be removed from the club by any available staff, and if they are caught doing it more than twice, their membership should be terminated and/or permanently banned from entry to a UA operated lounge regardless of ticketed cabin or status.

HNLbasedFlyer May 22, 2020 11:14 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32395817)
United has apparently instructed its lounge contract staff that they are to have no contact with customers regarding behavior, rules or issues within the club

That is a great policy - nobody wants to belong to a club where staff is micromanaging and scrutinizing every guests behavior to the point it makes people uncomfortable.

bocastephen May 22, 2020 11:29 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32395837)
That is a great policy - nobody wants to belong to a club where staff is micromanaging and scrutinizing every guests behavior to the point it makes people uncomfortable.

{M}ost people who belong to private clubs, expect staff to ensure rules are being followed and enforced. Every private club I have ever been a member or guest of has rules that everyone follows with repercussions for those who do not - and this includes every private organization from HOAs and condo associations to Mar-A-Lago. To think that enforcing safe food handling practices by people inside the club in this day and age given everything that we know is even open for discussion is really beyond me.

HNLbasedFlyer May 22, 2020 11:46 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32395877)
If you feel that guests should be allowed to use their hands to take food, re-use dirty dishes, eat over/at the buffet, stuff their bags with food for later consumption, or take large amounts of food for waste, then perhaps a private club is not the right environment for you to feel personal freedom. Every private club I have ever been a member or guest of has rules that everyone follows with repercussions for those who do not - and this includes every private organization from HOAs and condo associations to Mar-A-Lago. To think that enforcing safe food handling practices by people inside the club in this day and age given everything that we know is even open for discussion is really beyond me.

I didn't say any of that - I said, That is a great policy - nobody wants to belong to a club where staff is micromanaging and scrutinizing every guests behavior to the point it makes people uncomfortable.