FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19: PL/UCs Suspended Ops; 40 UCs are now opened; All PLs open. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2013274-covid19-pl-ucs-suspended-ops-40-ucs-now-opened-all-pls-open.html)

FreqFlyerCLE Mar 17, 2020 2:52 am

Any word on the non-hub UA Club locations? Are these remaining open?

EWR764 Mar 17, 2020 8:37 am

Airport operations are generally exempted from the capacity/gathering rules that I've seen from most states, but (especially in SFO/EWR) I can envision UA/contractors beginning to encounter staffing issues with school closures,curfews, etc.

Sadly this will result in layoffs of contractors for sure, and probably of UA staff before long.

mrmoo Mar 17, 2020 9:53 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32197369)
Airport operations are generally exempted from the capacity/gathering rules that I've seen from most states, but (especially in SFO/EWR) I can envision UA/contractors beginning to encounter staffing issues with school closures,curfews, etc.

Sadly this will result in layoffs of contractors for sure, and probably of UA staff before long.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the workers in UCs are contractors, right? If I recall the ticket agents are UA, but food service were Sodexo or the like.

iluv2fly Mar 17, 2020 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mrmoo (Post 32197676)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the workers in UCs are contractors, right? If I recall the ticket agents are UA, but food service were Sodexo or the like.

You are correct.

lhrsfo Mar 17, 2020 10:16 am

It would be crazy to keep Polaris lounges open when there's next to no Polaris service. The wise airline would simply give people a $50 voucher for use in airport concessions.

gmt4 Mar 17, 2020 10:38 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 32197750)
It would be crazy to keep Polaris lounges open when there's next to no Polaris service. The wise airline would simply give people a $50 voucher for use in airport concessions.

It would make more sense to just refer people to the UC, which J pax are already entitled to anyway. Closing the PL is a way to save money. Handing out $50 bills when there are other lounge options isn't.

iluv2fly Mar 17, 2020 11:29 am

I recall many, many years ago when there was no food service in the IFL at ORD. They gave me a $35 voucher.

seanp7 Mar 17, 2020 11:42 am

Nice thought, but that's OPEX they can't afford right now. Not happening.

Exleftseat Mar 17, 2020 11:59 am

For those of us who have UC membership, paid or via the card, can we expect some credit or extension from UA? Could probably answer myself with a big fat NO!

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat (Post 32198184)
For those of us who have UC membership, paid or via the card, can we expect some credit or extension from UA?

Credit for what? Just because some of the extra hub clubs are closed and they are mostly empty anyway?

Exleftseat Mar 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Seems I misunderstood, although my answer still is probably correct. I thought all clubs were closing.

uastarflyer Mar 17, 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32198212)
Credit for what? Just because some of the extra hub clubs are closed and they are mostly empty anyway?

Being grounded and unable to fly. Same concept as extending status

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 17, 2020 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 32198611)
Being grounded and unable to fly. Same concept as extending status

I think we will see all sorts of promotions - extensions, etc - but no need for them to address this now. Address when we've turned the corner.

WineCountryUA Mar 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat (Post 32198323)
Seems I misunderstood, although my answer still is probably correct. I thought all clubs were closing.

No, the statement seems to suggest that 1 UC will remain open at present airports where UA flights are still operating but if the airport has multiple UCs, UA will be consolidating into the single UC at domestic hubs. So if traveling you should have access to a UC at UC airports with UA flights.

Will Dearborn Mar 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4 (Post 32197844)
It would make more sense to just refer people to the UC, which J pax are already entitled to anyway. Closing the PL is a way to save money. Handing out $50 bills when there are other lounge options isn't.

No good if the UC are also closed or have no service.