FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19: PL/UCs Suspended Ops; 40 UCs are now opened; All PLs open. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2013274-covid19-pl-ucs-suspended-ops-40-ucs-now-opened-all-pls-open.html)

lincolnjkc May 6, 2021 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33231837)
While this is partly true, I think that route (i.e., nonstops) remains perhaps the key determining factor in selecting carriers, which is why we have many posters here who are continuing to fly UA despite their complaints about an uncompetitive soft product.

I think it depends on origin market and level of tie in. For example, growing up in Southern California and flying maybe one RT a quarter the idea of airline allegiance was foreign -- you just picked whomever had the best cost and/or schedule out of LAX. I think regardless of market the infrequent traveler feels less loyalty to a specific airline and why would/should they? On the other hand someone like me is so invested in the UA system (UC memberships, kickbacks in the form of free baggage/E+/upgrades) that while CLE-LAX nonstop on NK (or is it F9...) might make more sense on paper from both cost and time perspectives but I would never even consider it.

(My 6'7" father, on the other hand who is still LAX based and flies far less frequently, was lured in to try that once before I had a chance to warn him...and he hasn't come back to visit me since then)

LIH May 7, 2021 8:36 am

As a reflection of the lounge experience on UA I'm currently sitting at one of the restaurants/bars at EWR because even at 10:30AM, the lounge is untenable and pretty unenjoyable. The thing UA doesn't appreciate is that lounges are honestly an important input to my business travel math. I'll probably spend something like 250-300 hours in an airport this year, waiting. If I can do that a little more comfortably on a different airline I will absolutely prioritize that.

I did get a response from the GS desk for my up-thread note about being turned away from ORD B6 a week ago. They just said "sorry, we're opening these 6 lounges by the end of June and a bunch of others but we don't know which ones yet". They actually made the point that they received that information "late last night". So dumb.

HNLbasedFlyer May 7, 2021 10:54 am

Originally Posted by LIH (Post 33233323)
The thing UA doesn't appreciate is that lounges are honestly an important input to my business travel math. I'll probably spend something like 250-300 hours in an airport this year, waiting. If I can do that a little more comfortably on a different airline I will absolutely prioritize that.

To be fair, they probably don't appreciate your pain as you are probably in the 1% of fliers flying that much.

Flying Machine May 7, 2021 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 33227255)
Chase has free cards that do this.

$450 the second year and subsequent years if you’re not a churner! But then from your blog no one pays any fees :-)

ctownflyer May 7, 2021 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 33234259)
$450 the second year and subsequent years if you’re not a churner! But then from your blog no one pays any fees :-)

1.5ppd and $0/year with CFU/CIU. Just need someone in your household to have a $95/year CSP/CIP to transfer to United.

Flying Machine May 7, 2021 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 33234401)
1.5ppd and $0/year with CFU/CIU. Just need someone in your household to have a $95/year CSP/CIP to transfer to United.

Can you translate those acronyms please? I only have two credit cards in my wallet, so I’m not that well-versed. Thanks

SPN Lifer May 7, 2021 3:22 pm

CFU = Chase Freedom Unlimited
CIU = Chase Ink Unlimited
CSP = Chase Sapphire Preferred
CIP = Chase Ink Preferred

DELee May 7, 2021 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 33234429)
Can you translate those acronyms please? I only have two credit cards in my wallet, so I’m not that well-versed. Thanks

"Arrrr...defenseless in the credit card arena, are we? Prepare to be PC'd!"*

Back on topic, it's not like Mr. Dorow and UA didn't know this day was coming (i.e. the re-opening of the UCs and, hopefully, the Polaris Lounges). It is simply sad^2 that they a) didn't plan ahead and b) didn't plan ahead.

David

*: PC = Product Changed

Artpen100 May 7, 2021 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33234591)
It is simply sad^2 that they a) didn't plan ahead and b) didn't plan ahead.

And that’s not by accident!

st530 May 10, 2021 5:07 am

EWR UC 6-730 am May 10

Plenty of seating available. Oatmeal, muffins, fruit, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches. Not terrible.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a0314363d.jpeg

ctownflyer May 10, 2021 6:21 am

UA: Going for not terrible!

Kacee May 10, 2021 6:50 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 33240042)
UA: Going for not terrible!

"Our surveys confirm that we are meeting our goal of not being terrible almost 50% of the time."

unitedbusiness May 10, 2021 10:39 pm

The roast beef cheddar sandwiches / garden pasta salad / house salad / assorted new snacks are less terrible than the last incarnation of UC food
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c1f9e9f10.jpeg

uanj May 10, 2021 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness (Post 33242281)
The roast beef cheddar sandwiches / garden pasta salad / house salad / assorted new snacks are less terrible than the last incarnation of UC food

This thread seems to be a blood sport of picking on UA about the lounges and Polaris. But I agree with unitedbusiness, the United Club offerings right now are not worse than before and in some ways are almost better. Given the crowding it sounds like United has missed calibrating lounge visits to pax flying or have just gone cheap.

Still miss Polaris lounges, I appreciate them much more since they are closed. And the meals on board in no way make up for the Polaris lounges being closed.

cesco.g May 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by uanj (Post 33242345)
Still miss Polaris lounges, I appreciate them much more since they are closed. And the meals on board in no way make up for the Polaris lounges being closed.

Indeed; but the PLs made up for the inflight catering! :)