FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19: PL/UCs Suspended Ops; 40 UCs are now opened; All PLs open. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2013274-covid19-pl-ucs-suspended-ops-40-ucs-now-opened-all-pls-open.html)

Weatherboy Mar 16, 2020 7:28 pm

COVID19: PL/UCs Suspended Ops; 40 UCs are now opened; All PLs open.

Guess there's not enough paid Polaris service around to justify the Polaris lounges, so they're closing all of them and closing United Clubs up, except for keeping at least 1 open in their hubs.

COSPILOT Mar 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32195580)
Guess there's not enough paid Polaris service around to justify the Polaris lounges, so they're closing all of them and closing United Clubs up, except for keeping at least 1 open in their hubs.

Link?

DenverBrian Mar 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT (Post 32195587)
Link?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/corona...ounges-closed/

The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak continues to have a significant impact on travel demand and that has resulted in far fewer customers visiting the airports where we do business. As a result, we will temporarily suspend operations at some United Club locations at our hubs and Polaris lounges starting on Wednesday, March 18. For now, each of our U.S. hub locations will continue to have at least one United Club location open for customers.

Kleinnaf Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Polaris Lounges & some hub UCs temporarily suspend operation due to reduced demand

All Polaris lounges are temporarily closed starting March 18th.

Will Dearborn Mar 16, 2020 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf (Post 32195607)
All Polaris lounges are temporarily closed starting March 18th.

Source?

COSPILOT Mar 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 32195604)

odd that as a member of the club no email yet. Yes I checked my junk folder.

Kleinnaf Mar 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Will Dearborn (Post 32195733)
Source?

Not sure if against the rules to post

Mods please remove if against the rules.

buckeyefanflyer Mar 16, 2020 10:45 pm

Polaris Lounges & some hub UCs temporarily suspend operation due to reduced demand

Many states are closing bars and restaurants excepts takeout and now per the President should not be with groups of people now 25 was 100. Based on this I would guess all airlines will close clubs. Any update.

cosflyer Mar 16, 2020 11:01 pm

recv a text msg from a DEN west UC agent that a bunch of clubs are closing...including polaris at the intl hubs.....goodbye my favorite club in den(west)till this gets sorted out and i see mayor hancock closed everything with in the city limits to carryout only till may 11th

WineCountryUA Mar 16, 2020 11:13 pm

These closures seem to be more capacity related than health issue.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak continues to have a significant impact on travel demand and that has resulted in far fewer customers visiting the airports where we do business. As a result, we will temporarily suspend operations at some United Club locations at our hubs and Polaris lounges starting on Wednesday, March 18. For now, each of our U.S. hub locations will continue to have at least one United Club location open for customers.

LangerhansCellHistiocytosis Mar 16, 2020 11:34 pm

I wonder if these closures are any indication of the dire financial situation the airline finds itself in.

WineCountryUA Mar 16, 2020 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by eric.chen3742 (Post 32196107)
I wonder if these closures are any indication of the dire financial situation the airline finds itself in.

With reduce demand, you need to reduce operating costs -- these closures are a sign of the significantly reduced demand.

tomwhom Mar 17, 2020 12:24 am

At least UA is honest this time vs NRT VIP closure.

bhunt Mar 17, 2020 12:59 am

I went into ORD Concourse B UC around 5:00 pm. There was like 5 people in there. No food no bar tender. Just the soda machine. I was using a chase pass. Walked.back downstairs told them I didnt want to use my pass at this time.

They said they reversed it. But has not showed back up on my app yet.

Weatherboy Mar 17, 2020 1:34 am

It's also away to reduce service without impacting UA headcount; all the servers/bartenders/meal prep folks are contracted Sodexo workers.

FreqFlyerCLE Mar 17, 2020 2:52 am

Any word on the non-hub UA Club locations? Are these remaining open?

EWR764 Mar 17, 2020 8:37 am

Airport operations are generally exempted from the capacity/gathering rules that I've seen from most states, but (especially in SFO/EWR) I can envision UA/contractors beginning to encounter staffing issues with school closures,curfews, etc.

Sadly this will result in layoffs of contractors for sure, and probably of UA staff before long.

mrmoo Mar 17, 2020 9:53 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 32197369)
Airport operations are generally exempted from the capacity/gathering rules that I've seen from most states, but (especially in SFO/EWR) I can envision UA/contractors beginning to encounter staffing issues with school closures,curfews, etc.

Sadly this will result in layoffs of contractors for sure, and probably of UA staff before long.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the workers in UCs are contractors, right? If I recall the ticket agents are UA, but food service were Sodexo or the like.

iluv2fly Mar 17, 2020 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mrmoo (Post 32197676)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the workers in UCs are contractors, right? If I recall the ticket agents are UA, but food service were Sodexo or the like.

You are correct.

lhrsfo Mar 17, 2020 10:16 am

It would be crazy to keep Polaris lounges open when there's next to no Polaris service. The wise airline would simply give people a $50 voucher for use in airport concessions.

gmt4 Mar 17, 2020 10:38 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 32197750)
It would be crazy to keep Polaris lounges open when there's next to no Polaris service. The wise airline would simply give people a $50 voucher for use in airport concessions.

It would make more sense to just refer people to the UC, which J pax are already entitled to anyway. Closing the PL is a way to save money. Handing out $50 bills when there are other lounge options isn't.

iluv2fly Mar 17, 2020 11:29 am

I recall many, many years ago when there was no food service in the IFL at ORD. They gave me a $35 voucher.

seanp7 Mar 17, 2020 11:42 am

Nice thought, but that's OPEX they can't afford right now. Not happening.

Exleftseat Mar 17, 2020 11:59 am

For those of us who have UC membership, paid or via the card, can we expect some credit or extension from UA? Could probably answer myself with a big fat NO!

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat (Post 32198184)
For those of us who have UC membership, paid or via the card, can we expect some credit or extension from UA?

Credit for what? Just because some of the extra hub clubs are closed and they are mostly empty anyway?

Exleftseat Mar 17, 2020 12:25 pm

Seems I misunderstood, although my answer still is probably correct. I thought all clubs were closing.

uastarflyer Mar 17, 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32198212)
Credit for what? Just because some of the extra hub clubs are closed and they are mostly empty anyway?

Being grounded and unable to fly. Same concept as extending status

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 17, 2020 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 32198611)
Being grounded and unable to fly. Same concept as extending status

I think we will see all sorts of promotions - extensions, etc - but no need for them to address this now. Address when we've turned the corner.

WineCountryUA Mar 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat (Post 32198323)
Seems I misunderstood, although my answer still is probably correct. I thought all clubs were closing.

No, the statement seems to suggest that 1 UC will remain open at present airports where UA flights are still operating but if the airport has multiple UCs, UA will be consolidating into the single UC at domestic hubs. So if traveling you should have access to a UC at UC airports with UA flights.

Will Dearborn Mar 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4 (Post 32197844)
It would make more sense to just refer people to the UC, which J pax are already entitled to anyway. Closing the PL is a way to save money. Handing out $50 bills when there are other lounge options isn't.

No good if the UC are also closed or have no service.

Weatherboy Mar 17, 2020 3:23 pm

Is Classified srill open at EWR still? I know UA would sometimes send passengers there at their expense. Wonder if anyone is getting vouchers to dine there while the other lounges close.

Darlox Mar 17, 2020 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32199113)
Is Classified srill open at EWR still? I know UA would sometimes send passengers there at their expense. Wonder if anyone is getting vouchers to dine there while the other lounges close.

Not likely... remember that restaurants are closed unless it's for delivery or takeout. As far as I'm aware, that includes airports. Classified isn't a takeout restaurant, so I presume it's completely shut.

Weatherboy Mar 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Darlox (Post 32199131)
Not likely... remember that restaurants are closed unless it's for delivery or takeout. As far as I'm aware, that includes airports. Classified isn't a takeout restaurant, so I presume it's completely shut.

Ohh..I didn't think that applied to the restaurant since you're in close quarters anyway. And even "take out", you're sitting in close quarters in the gate or on the plane.

flyingrohit Mar 17, 2020 9:54 pm

What are people's (very rough) predictions that Polaris lounges will re-open by august? Have a J trip from FRA to LAX second week fo August and deciding whether to take UA via EWR, Swiss via ZRH, Austrian via VIE. This will be the end of a work trip so trying to enjoy the return journey. Thanks for your inputs!

WineCountryUA Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm

When will TATL traffic return to normal? -- that is your answer. Best case in my mind is July, worst could be months later.

Ari Mar 17, 2020 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit (Post 32200315)
What are people's (very rough) predictions that Polaris lounges will re-open by august? Have a J trip from FRA to LAX second week fo August and deciding whether to take UA via EWR, Swiss via ZRH, Austrian via VIE. This will be the end of a work trip so trying to enjoy the return journey. Thanks for your inputs!

I think you should plan your trip around other considerations.

uastarflyer Mar 17, 2020 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32200366)
When will TATL traffic return to normal? -- that is your answer. Best case in my mind is July, worst could be months later.

I have leisure TATL late July. That feels about the earliest. I suppose Italy, Austria etc may be a few weeks ahead of us on recovery.

I expect Polaris to be closed through August and limited UC through similar.

Weatherboy Mar 17, 2020 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit (Post 32200315)

Unlikely to see any recovery before the fall.

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 17, 2020 10:31 pm

At this point - I can't imagine Europe opening itself back up smack in the middle of what is usually high season unless warm weather truly does wipe this out and this thing is proven to be seasonal.

My bet is September/October at the earliest.

flyingrohit Mar 17, 2020 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 32200380)
I think you should plan your trip around other considerations.

Sorry if what I said came off as ignorant given the current situation. I've canceled all trips for the next 4 months (and probably won't make gold next year) for this reason alone. This is the first trip I have lined up for more than 4 months from now and was considering adding a fun element to the trip. If the situation isn't resolved by then, that's a different issue. Obviously no one knows how things will fair out, but I feel as of now, 4.5 months is a sufficient enough buffer (for now).

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32200398)
Unlikely to see any recovery before the fall.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32200400)
At this point - I can't imagine Europe opening itself back up smack in the middle of what is usually high season unless warm weather truly does wipe this out and this thing is proven to be seasonal.

My bet is September/October at the earliest.

thanks for your inputs guys!