FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   COVID19: PL/UCs Suspended Ops; 40 UCs are now opened; All PLs open. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2013274-covid19-pl-ucs-suspended-ops-40-ucs-now-opened-all-pls-open.html)

goodeats21 May 22, 2021 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Atuchan (Post 33269299)
Food selection is rather limited as many of our fellow flyers have reported.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2ad5b3aab.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f033eb9a9.jpeg

That's the updated, good selection. Just prior to this, EWR was truly woeful.

Did you get offered an upgraded snack with your punched boarding pass?

eng3 May 22, 2021 7:00 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 33270406)

I've seen it get better then get worse though the more recent photo is the best I've seen it since all this started.

Last time I was there, the punch just got you a better drink (which I don't drink so useless, I guess I should have given it away to someone but its hard to do that 6ft apart)

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 33269859)
Edited to add: reading through the job description for the ORD position it says under “general responsibilities”:
-greets and seats customers
-presents customers with menus
​​​​​​-serves food to customers at a limited number of tables, using proper rules of etiquette
​​​​
don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up, but that surely doesn’t sound like a United Club job, more like a Polaris Lounge…

Edit two: lol - it’s just a general job description- all “ club attendant” positions list those

Since we are speculating, maybe as a compromise/cost-savings measure, instead of reopening the PL, maybe in the future, they will just have a small area in the UC with tables for PL customers only. Ofcourse, I would think that if they did that, they'd want to sell meals to non-PL too.

seacarl May 22, 2021 2:51 pm

-ATL
-AUS
-BOS
-CLE
-DCA
-DEN
-DFW
-FLL
-HNL
-IAD
-IAH
-LAS
-LAX
-LGA
-MCO
-ORD
-SAN
-SFO

SEA is glaringly absent. But UA seems to be ceding SEA to AS & DL. AS operates more flights to many UA hubs than UA does.

ctownflyer May 22, 2021 8:30 pm

I’m bored right now, so I perused Sodexo’s careers page and saw positions listed for the following clubs-

-ATL
-AUS
-BOS
-CLE
-DCA
-DEN
-DFW
-FLL
-HNL
-IAD
-IAH
-LAS
-LAX
-LGA
-MCO
-ORD
-SAN
-SFO

Not sure if this is the first wave, or if other locations still have employees available to bring on. But good to see some hiring coming along.

Edited to add: reading through the job description for the ORD position it says under “general responsibilities”:
-greets and seats customers
-presents customers with menus
​​​​​​-serves food to customers at a limited number of tables, using proper rules of etiquette
​​​​
don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up, but that surely doesn’t sound like a United Club job, more like a Polaris Lounge…

Edit two: lol - it’s just a general job description- all “ club attendant” positions list those

Beat ya to it ;)

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 33268316)
Sleuthing the 8 clubs reopening by Labor Day on my blog: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...pen-labor-day/
FT disclosure: This link is to an online source in which I have a financial interest.

Summary of guesses from my post:
  • ATL
  • AUS
  • BOS
  • CLE
  • DCA
  • DFW
  • LGA
  • SAN

BDFlyer15 May 24, 2021 4:43 am

United ORD C Gates Club opened as of today, stopped by quickly this morning. Just pre-packaged to-go bags, coffee and water. Was in a rush so didn’t look really close but nice that it’s finally opened again.

LIH May 24, 2021 6:01 am

Just given my travel patterns the domestic lounge situation matters much more to me than PL because I probably only really experience PL 6-8 times a year and when I do, sometimes it's for a very short time (versus knowing full well that I'll be marooned at a domestic lounge for 4-6 hours at least a few times a year).

With that said, my firm has approved INTL travel for work as of 6/1. We'll have our first LHR trips in July. Hearing similar color in my industry (finance) from small and mid-sized firms that are basically moving back to more normal operations overall. Even the bulge-bracket firms in New York are starting to roll-out plans for return to in-office for post Memorial Day with the goal of looking much more "pre-COVID" by Labor Day. I know large companies will be much slower to return to INTL travel.

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 24, 2021 7:31 am

IAH E UC at capacity 8:30am. About 15 people lined up outside.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7a57292fa.jpeg

Atuchan May 24, 2021 9:42 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 33270406)

Actually I was not aware of enhanced snack selection. Bartenders never mentioned about them. Just premium drinks can be ordered. I wonder what would happen if you do not have paper boarding pass to punch in though.

goodeats21 May 24, 2021 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Atuchan (Post 33275000)
Actually I was not aware of enhanced snack selection. Bartenders never mentioned about them. Just premium drinks can be ordered. I wonder what would happen if you do not have paper boarding pass to punch in though.

You didn't miss much, just a single pack of slightly better salami / cheese / crackers.

I haven't done business class out of EWR lately. My guess is they would print you a boarding pass and then punch it for you to give the bartender.
When I departed ORD, they were supposed to give me some type of pass (according to the bartender), but he just looked at my BP and let it go at that.

They don't seem to have process down very well....not that surprisingly for United.

WineCountryUA May 24, 2021 11:02 am

Moved an extended discussion of broadening access to PLs to its own thread,
If and when Polaris Lounges re-open, should access be expanded? GS, transcons, ...

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

WineCountryUA May 24, 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 33274652)
IAH E UC at capacity 8:30am. About 15 people lined up outside.

UA reports opening another UC at IAH Terminal B, South Mezzanine {as of 24 May 2021} with limited amenities. Also today, ORD C16.

fumje May 25, 2021 12:10 pm

ORD PL

Something is going on at the ORD Polaris Lounge.

These guys were leaving the lounge with some sort of equipment carts.
The door was cracked, but I couldn't see anyone to ask any questions of. I didn't loiter as I was hurrying over to my boarding flight.

n8-the-gr8 May 25, 2021 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 33278240)

The door was cracked, but I couldn't see anyone to ask any questions of. I didn't loiter as I was hurrying over to my boarding flight.

I am guessing they were using space there for storage (given that they had those lifts parked in front of the lounge for a very long time) and needed to move things around or needed the equipment. This feels far too early for anything PL-specific to be happening...

hudsonlaluna May 25, 2021 12:32 pm

Has anyone received any indication or insight from United as to when the Polaris lounges are scheduled to reopen? If they've announced a set of UCs reopening in July 2021 and another set by Labor Day 2021, then I'm assuming the PLs will reopen after then but how much longer afterwards? Is it a function of international business class trave rebounding by X%, if so what is X?

lincolnjkc May 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 33278240)

That would appear to be something in the photo/video realm (the PortaBrace case would imply video to me, however the roll-down screen/backdrop implies still -- though with a tight shot might be useful for video... If I had to guess it's more "a quiet space to grab some shots [with a decent view of the ramp for a live background]" than anything having to with the lounge itself.