Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Sykes
fwiw, the WHO has released guidance about the use of masks in the context of 2019-nCoV: https://www.who.int/publications-det...ncov)-outbreak

In general, they discourage the use of medical masks by non-sick people in the community, and say they are only indicated when in the presence of suspected or confirmed cases of the virus. Some of that, however, is to discourage people from buying them to ensure that they're available to those that actually need them..
Reminiscent of the anthrax scare in the early 2000's, where people who had no business doing so and who were under no threat of exposure to anthrax hoarded Cipro and demanded bogus prescriptions from their doctor, thereby making the drug scarce at a time when some folks really needed it.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
fwiw, the WHO has released guidance about the use of masks in the context of 2019-nCoV

"...Individuals without respiratory symptoms should:
<snip>
a medical mask is not required..."

I agree that they seem to be heavily focused on discouraging hoarding of masks.
That quoted part above is a bit perplexing though, as I thought an infected person was contagious without necessarily showing symptoms.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by narvik
That quoted part above is a bit perplexing though, as I thought an infected person was contagious without necessarily showing symptoms.
I think what they're really trying to say is just that if you have no reason to believe you might be ill, and you're not caring for or living with anyone that is ill, there's no need to wear a mask. Asymptomatic transmission appears to be possible (although I think the WHO is still trying to determine to what extent), but I guess they feel like everyone everywhere wearing masks doesn't really help.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
...but I guess they feel like everyone everywhere wearing masks doesn't really help.

​​​​​​That is my issue: I don't think their statement is universally true, and needs more qualifiers.
Wearing a mask in crowded areas such as airports for instance surely helps, IMO.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by narvik
​​​​​​That is my issue: I don't think their statement is universally true, and needs more qualifiers.
Wearing a mask in crowded areas such as airports for instance surely helps, IMO.
I think that the message is largely targeted to busy areas, including buses and subways. There's a fair body of research that suggests that masks can actually make things worse because it gives people a false sense of security so they don't take other measures as seriously. Also, masks are often not worn properly, and removing a mask using improper technique after it's been worn (e.g. touching the front of the mask) can actually make things worse than not wearing the mask at all. While it can certainly help in some situations, I think the basis of their argument is that on a macro level it probably doesn't outside of specific areas.

Edit: I just happened to come across this article as well: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51205344

Some notable quotes that are relevant to this thread:
"Jonathan Ball, professor of molecular virology at the University of Nottingham, said: "In one well controlled study in a hospital setting, the [standard surgical] face mask was as good at preventing influenza infection as a purpose-made respirator."

"Dr Jake Dunning, head of emerging infections and zoonoses at Public Health England, said: "Although there is a perception that the wearing of facemasks may be beneficial, there is in fact very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use outside of these clinical setting."He said masks had to be worn correctly, changed frequently and got rid of safely if they were to work properly.

"Research also shows that compliance with these recommended behaviours reduces over time when wearing facemasks for prolonged periods," he added.

People would be better to focus on good personal and hand hygiene if they are concerned, Dr Dunning said."

Last edited by Sykes; Jan 30, 2020 at 8:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.