Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Looks like some foreign carriers are really bringing the hammer down. No hot meals, everything in the cabin is disposible, etc.

https://news.yahoo.com/no-hot-meals-...070747364.html
well one foreign carrier - only China Airlines (Taiwan) would be dumb enough to try something like this, way up there on the useless scale.

all flights and passenger traffic between Taiwan and China should have already been grounded long ago.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm very uncomfortable with this kind of grossly speculative non-expert medical advice being posted on the UA forum.

just came back from a check-up with my doctor.... she said that the CDC reported around 140,000 flu deaths in the last two years. the media didn't seem remotely freaked out by 140,000 deaths.

kind of puts things in perspective for me.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
how about the passengers?

thanks!
Flew yesterday HKG-NRT-HNL. I would say 75%+ in HKG were wearing masks, every staff member was wearing masks including the ANA cabin crew. In NRT maybe 15-25% of gen pop wearing masks, don't remember any staff at the UC or NH lounges wearing masks, none of the cabin crew, maybe 5% of passengers.

While waiting to board, someone went up the to the GA coughing pretty bad, got the stink eye from everyone in line.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang

While waiting to board, someone went up the to the GA coughing pretty bad, got the stink eye from everyone in line.
seems to me that they should screen passengers at the origin airport, before they step on the aircraft....

I sincerely hope that the researchers are wrong about healthy people being able to spread the virus.(while they feel or show zero symptons)
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Reported as being seen in YVR yesterday.

ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: united
(in nasal voice) I am Beldar....
iluv2fly, Fizzer, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fizzer
Reported as being seen in YVR yesterday.

oh great.. now there will be a shortage of water jugs as well?

UA will definitely not allow those jugs

cur and Fizzer like this.

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Jan 29, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:59 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
A respirator would be a bit of overkill. Maybe a surgical style mask?
those do 0 in preventing this glorified flu
most people that wear masks are wearing them wrong
65,000 people in usa were killed by the flu last year (8,000 so far this season) yet that is not deemed a crisis
wash your hands

AND BUY LOTS OF WATER JUGS

Last edited by cur; Jan 29, 2020 at 5:05 pm
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: united
oh great.. now there will be a shortage of water jugs as well?

UA will definitely not allow those jugs

Not in basic economy.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:31 pm

Have you worn those masks for extended period of time? They are pretty uncomfortable.
Also per several studies flying on a plane is not as dangerous as most people seem to think. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ds-on-a-plane/; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...us-window.html
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
.... she said that the CDC reported around 140,000 flu deaths in the last two years. the media didn't seem remotely freaked out by 140,000 deaths.

kind of puts things in perspective for me.
Originally Posted by cur
65,000 people in usa were killed by the flu last year (8,000 so far this season) yet that is not deemed a crisis
It is not inconceivable that China may see a considerable drop in overall flu related infections that amount to more lives being spared than lost to 2019-nCoV.

Potential end-of-2020 headline: "Conovirus Saved Lives"?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
We will be flying NRT-LAX on Tuesday and wearing plain surgical masks. Tokyo is full of Chinese visitors. NRT even more. Don't expect UA to deny us boarding. At my age I don't even know why I bother.
A surgical mask will not protect you. It protects others from you. If you want to be protected from others you need to wear an N 95 or higher mask which are very uncomfortable.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpremex
A surgical mask will not protect you. It protects others from you. If you want to be protected from others you need to wear an N 95 or higher mask which are very uncomfortable.
I think I mentioned this upthread, but I recommend the 3-panel / "Aura" (from 3M) style ones. They are extremely comfortable (unlike the dome-shaped ones)
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have a fair number of the N95 ones (from California wildfire season), not too uncomfortable! Honestly feels better on my face being nice and snug than surgical masks which move around and can feel scratchy. Probably won't bother wearing it unless I have a sudden impromptu required trip to Hubei
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
fwiw, the WHO has released guidance about the use of masks in the context of 2019-nCoV: https://www.who.int/publications-det...ncov)-outbreak

In general, they discourage the use of medical masks by non-sick people in the community, and say they are only indicated when in the presence of suspected or confirmed cases of the virus. Some of that, however, is to discourage people from buying them to ensure that they're available to those that actually need them. They do note, however, that "a medical mask is not required, as no evidence is available on its usefulness to protect non-sick persons. However, masks might be worn in some countries according to local cultural habits. If masks are used, best practices should be followed on how to wear, remove, and dispose of them and on hand hygiene action after removal."

Also notable is that they generally recommend surgical masks for medical professionals, and only recommend N95 masks for medical professionals who are explicitly performing aerosol-generating procedures (e.g. intubation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.