Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I will say, I don't know if I'm typical, but I touch my face a lot without thinking about it. So the mask could indeed help there
In that case you should probably get goggles too.

I'm only half-kidding; the mask doesn't cover your eyes. Touching / rubbing your eyes is a lot worse than touching your cheek. (I do this a lot too; I will never stop touching my face)
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm only half-kidding; the mask doesn't cover your eyes. Touching / rubbing your eyes is a lot worse than touching your cheek. (I do this a lot too; I will never stop touching my face)
Well, I do wear glasses so that helps involuntary eye-touching a bit
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla
Per CDC and per OSHA guidelines, N95 respirators are designed to reduce personal exposure to particles including small particle aerosols and large droplets, while surgical masks are designed to protect other people against infection from the person wearing the surgical mask and are not considered an appropriate form of personal respiratory protection.

A surgical mask could, therefore, indicate that the wearer has a communicable disease and is wearing the surgical mask in accordance with the CDC/OSHA guidelines, which qualifies for Refusal of Transport per the United Airlines CoC Rule 21, H, 13. If pax fails to present a medical certificate, a determination to re-accommodate the passenger can be made.
It's a cultural thing. In Asian cultures, post-SARS, masks are super prevalent. These days you can take the subway in Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, or anywhere in China, and you'll easily see 50%+ with masks, if not closer to 80% in the infected areas. Is it that 80% of the people are infected? Or are they just taking precautions? In America, maybe putting on a mask implies you're sick, but it's not hard to see why some passengers flying TPAC are aware of Asian cultures and also think it's appropriate to wear a mask on public transportation.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
have they figured out how long the infected cough "droplets" stay "alive" and are able to transmit the virus ?

I am amazed how many people sneeze and do not even cover their face with their hand ,
And many people cough or sneeze into their hands which puts the droplets & germs there, then they touch everything around them. Yuck

Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA
UA 850 from PEK to ORD today, the entire crew with the exception of the flight deck officers were in surgical masks
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vaguba
UA 850 from PEK to ORD today, the entire crew with the exception of the flight deck officers were in surgical masks

how about the passengers?

thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by zitsky
Why would it NOT be allowed?
Would it be permissible to wear a gas mask? Seriously. Guarantee you it will be happening.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky

thanks!
most of the passengers work masks. one person even asked a FA for extras and they went and found her some.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
The primary reason is to have one on hand if required for business or social reasons.
I've lived and worked in Japan for 25 years, and I never wear masks. When are they ever required for business or social reasons?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cornfedcowboy
Would it be permissible to wear a gas mask? Seriously. Guarantee you it will be happening.
Why wouldn't it be allowed? Also, it's a respirator, not a gas mask. And if I was flying TPAC, I'd have zero qualms about wearing a P100 respirator and eye protection. Other than basic hygiene, good PPE is key in prevention. With a high R0, potentially asymptomatic transmission, and an unknown mortality rate, I wouldn't be taking any chances.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
For all the UA planes that are coming back to the USA from China: are they spending more time and effort in cleaning/disinfecting the planes once they land?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I've lived and worked in Japan for 25 years, and I never wear masks. When are they ever required for business or social reasons?
required? probably never. (other than people in heathcare)

but it is a common courtesy... why would anyone want to release their virus or germ to the public and inconvenience them?
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky

thanks!
100% or close to 100% on my PVG-SFO two days ago. Everyone was well prepared. Some FAs worn more heavily protected masks.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kmxu
100% or close to 100% on my PVG-SFO two days ago. Everyone was well prepared. Some FAs worn more heavily protected masks.
Especially those FAs who are senior and/or post retirement ages. And there are a lot of them on long haul flights, almost 100% are "super senior".
It is well documented that older people are weaker in terms of fighting pneumonia.
I am sure these FAs are scared.

Last edited by Mama; Jan 29, 2020 at 6:41 am
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: united
Looks like some foreign carriers are really bringing the hammer down. No hot meals, everything in the cabin is disposible, etc.

https://news.yahoo.com/no-hot-meals-...070747364.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.