Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hamman
The N95 mask is only effective if worn correctly. Few wear the mask correctly while awake much less asleep. They are really uncomfortable for long periods of constant use.
The virus is spread via droplets when a person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread when someone touches a contaminated surface. As such a N95 is overkill. The surgical mask catches spittle, is easier to wear correctly and much more comfortable.
The N95 is suppose to catch 95% of particles 300 nanometers or larger. Coronavirus is around 100 nanometers so the N95 is not rated for that size particle.
Yeah but how big is the droplet of bodily fluid that the virus is in? This: https://lms.learning.hhs.gov/content...5_FAQ_2011.pdf suggests that blocking out 500 nanometer is sufficient.

I'd be more worried about the 5% leakage. Although I'm not sure what the leakage is on larger particles.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A mask can still be effective even if it doesn't filter out 100% of the bad stuff. Even worn incorrectly, it could be much better than nothing.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by risenmyth
I will be wearing a N95 respirator on my next flight, no chances should be taken.
With the limited airflow in a plane, I wouldn't want to be caught in such a situation unprepared. Regular surgical masks usually aren't helpful in a case where smaller particles are able to pass through it, so N95/N99 (or P/R series) are suggested.
In the past, I've worn a N100 mask and no one has said anything to me - and if they did, my answer would likely be "too bad, deal with it". What are they going to do? Divert the flight because I refuse to remove my mask? Wrestle me to the ground and pull of my mask? Have the police meet the flight? None of those outcomes end well for United, so I wouldn't worry about wearing a mask.

A regular surgical mask as mention upthread, is almost completely useless for filtering what comes in - it's used for blocking something from coming out.

On ALL flights, for years, long before this mess started, my standard protocol is to use Lysol wipes on EVERY part of the seat I will/might touch or eat from - headrest, table tray includes edges and handles, arm rests, seat belt buckles, air vent, AVOD controls/screen, and for lie flat seats like Polaris, aside from all tables, storage bins where I will put things, I also move the seat back down and wipe the interior walls where I will be sleeping.

I don't see how the N95 mask will help when a N100 mask is the only option for complete coverage, but they are very uncomfortable, cannot be worn while sleeping unless you're on your back and won't move around, and you can't eat or drink with it on, so you need to be exposed for a good portion of the flight unless you plan on declining all services.

If someone coughs and throws out enough tiny droplets to land in your eye, or on your hand which you use to touch something before cleaning it, then it doesn't matter if you're wearing a mask or not.

What I would like to see is an order from the DOT that forces all airlines to stop any recirculation of cabin air regardless of the impact to fuel burn - all incoming cabin air, 100%, must be from the outside, until this health emergency is resolved.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah but how big is the droplet of bodily fluid that the virus is in? This: https://lms.learning.hhs.gov/content...5_FAQ_2011.pdf suggests that blocking out 500 nanometer is sufficient.

I'd be more worried about the 5% leakage. Although I'm not sure what the leakage is on larger particles.
The P100 masks are available. They block out 99.9% but I don't know about flying with one. I guess most here fly J or above. I would rather take my chances to enjoy the liquor and food aboard. Further, how will you drink water or any liquids? If you think you need a mask then I would not fly.

P.S. Most planes use HEPA filters for their air.

Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I can see 3M not saying anything that will get them into a lawsuit sometime down the road.....

I have a couple boxes of N95 masks , I wish they made them in colors !
Just use colored markers and draw faces on them.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:51 am

One of the first things I do when entering Japan (2 - 3 times a year) I stop in a 7&i and purchase a second pack of surgical masks. The primary reason is to have one on hand if required for business or social reasons (or a breakout of the Zombie Apocalypse) On most trips I hand off the unopened pack to someone at the United counter for their use.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Jan 26, 2020 at 6:57 am Reason: Additional details
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
One of the first things I do when entering Japan (2 - 3 times a year) I stop in a 7&i and purchase a second pack of surgical masks. The primary reason is to have one on hand if required for business or social reasons (or a breakout of the Zombie Apocalypse) On most trips I hand off the unopened pack to someone at the United counter for their use.
Not sure it will help during a zombie apocalypse
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala
Not sure it will help during a zombie apocalypse
for that, the only defense is a nice Glock with lots of extra mags. (or a samurai sword)
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The best use of a respirator is when walking through the chemical warfare zones known as perfume counters in the duty-free shops that some airports force you to walk through. (Thankfully, YVR now has a bypass around the zone.)
JetBunny, MSPeconomist and ajGoes like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The best use of a respirator is when walking through the chemical warfare zones known as perfume counters in the duty-free shops that some airports force you to walk through. (Thankfully, YVR now has a bypass around the zone.)

I never realized how much perfume and cologne bothered people until I went to my primary doctor's office recently. It's a practice with about 10 to 15 doctors.

They put up a sign at the check-in desk that said (exact quote from the picture that I took):

"Please refrain from using perfume or cologne on the day of your appointment. If the receptionist finds that you're wearing too much, your appointment today will be rescheduled at no charge to you. Please be considerate of our nursing assistants, staff and doctors. Thank you for your cooperation!"

Of course, I have my own OCD... for dozens of years, I've always taken a shower(including washing my hair) before visiting any doctor.. .unless it's an emergency, of course.
Dublin_rfk and oopl like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:24 am

anyone know the life of this Virus if someone with the Virus does cough near you and it gets on the table etc.....

And I have a full beard so I guess the droplets can somehow sneak around the edge of the mask and get me !

Hand me another beer .......hahaha.......
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: United 1K
Flying on a plane always brings out the hypochondriac tendencies in a lot of people. If you think you need a respirator, you really should not fly at all or go to any public place. Plus, the most likely source of transmission is not airborne but simply touching things that other people have touched.

Took a flight ORD-LGA a couple days ago with tons of mask-wearers, including a few respirators. The most amusing part was watching the guy with the respirator across the aisle from me messing with his shoe (including touching the bottom of it) and then using the same hand to adjust his mask (and in the process touch all over his face).
JetBunny and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bengals311
Flying on a plane always brings out the hypochondriac tendencies in a lot of people. If you think you need a respirator, you really should not fly at all or go to any public place. Plus, the most likely source of transmission is not airborne but simply touching things that other people have touched.

Took a flight ORD-LGA a couple days ago with tons of mask-wearers, including a few respirators. The most amusing part was watching the guy with the respirator across the aisle from me messing with his shoe (including touching the bottom of it) and then using the same hand to adjust his mask (and in the process touch all over his face).
That guy was obviously not Paulie Walnuts...

leng, dmurphynj, chavala and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Jan 26, 2020 at 10:22 am
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
That guy was obviously not Paulie Walnuts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1r73mYfKY
A fairly accurate description of conditions of the lavs on a long haul flight.
JetBunny likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
A fairly accurate description of conditions of the lavs on a long haul flight.

I didn't need another reminder not to use the lavatory unless absolutely necessary. I should also throw out that UV flashlight in my carry-on case. As if hotel beds aren't scary enough. <sigh> I don't have extreme case of OCD... but for those who do, I wonder if any of them go as far as wearing adult diapers just to avoid using lavatories on 14-hour flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.