Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zombietooth

Frequent travelers to China might consider getting a measles booster before they travel.[/color]
I have not kept up with the outbreaks as much as I should...

are there any cases where a non-Chinese or non-Asian person has been diagnosed as infected with the coronavirus?

by the way, I am shocked(well, maybe not so shocked) that so many people are taking advantage of the situation and hoarding/selling the respirators/masks for a ridiculous profit. I believe in karma. Making such profits on a life and death situation and causing a shortage is morally wrong.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Seems like complete overkill for domestic US flights or even flights from the US to Asia. The number of potentially infected people becomes astronomically small as you go further away from Wuhan.

Might consider it though for all flights out of China and around Chinese airports though... if only to fit in better!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
The number of potentially infected people becomes astronomically small as you go further away from Wuhan.
There's about 170000 people that made it to Beijing from Wuhan just before the shutdown happened, FWIW.
🤔

Added: Just as a small reference point. We HAVE to fill out an [almost] daily form from our local industry zone, stating if we had any visitors from Wuhan, and where our employees have traveled to during the holidays.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by narvik
There's about 170000 people that made it to Beijing from Wuhan just before the shutdown happened, FWIW.
🤔
Sure, but how many of those people made it to the US? And how many of those people who were infected weren't quarantined? It just seems like lots of small percentages all multiplied together by the time you get to domestic US flights... On the flights back to China you have even the additional step of the infected person being asymptomatic throughout their stay in the US. A lot of these mitigating factors don't come into play if you are transiting in Beijing and flying to the USA though, hence saying that I would consider taking additional protective measures there.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Sure, but how many of those people made it to the US? And how many of those people who were infected weren't quarantined? It just seems like lots of very small percentages all multiplied together by the time you get to domestic US flights... On the flights back to China you have even the additional step of them being likely asymptomatic throughout their stay in the US, which is quite a while on average. A lot of these mitigating factors don't come into play if you are transiting in Beijing and flying to the USA though, hence saying that I would consider taking additional protective measures there.
It's probably prudent to point out at this stage, that there an average of 130 people per DAY in the USA that die of "normal" pneumonia, and about 100 per day die of traffic accidents per day in the USA.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Seems like complete overkill for domestic US flights or even flights from the US to Asia. The number of potentially infected people becomes astronomically small as you go further away from Wuhan...
The two cases in Orange County announced in the press yesterday are a little close to home (SAN) for my liking. I believe in both cases the infected people had travelled from Wuhan. I tend to concur about your comment on domestic flights except for flights with gamblers, i.e. LAS.

It is not the infection rate it is the death rate that is the concern for me, and at this stage China is announcing a death rate of about 3% (81/2,700) but I am not sure the death rate is that low, and if it were I would not be concerned about traveling but the Chinese response appears over the top to me if it is a 3% rate.

I am practicing good hygiene (and it always amazes me when I travel how many people do not wash their hands upon exiting the bathroom stalls at airports). My next flight is not until later next month so watching the death rate which will determine what I choose to do then as I am going to LAS.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
It is not the infection rate it is the death rate that is the concern for me, and at this stage China is announcing a death rate of about 3% (81/2,700) but I am not sure the death rate is that low, and if it were I would not be concerned about traveling but the Chinese response appears over the top to me if it is a 3% rate.
The response doesn't surprise me. China was widely criticized over how they handles SARS - and China has much more at stake regarding their standing in the world economy than they did 20 years ago.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

It's probably prudent to point out at this stage, that there an average of 130 people per DAY in the USA that die of "normal" pneumonia, and about 100 per day die of traffic accidents per day in the USA.
like the Powerball lottery(currently at almost $400 million), someone will win it... (preferably me)

unlike the Powerball, I'll take the appropriate steps to make sure that my family/friends/coworkers/neighbors and I don't become the luck ones. (within reason, of course... not gonna rent the excavator to dig a secure shelter in my backyard.. not yet anyway)
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:24 pm

Exactly... Although if I'm hit by a car it is unlikely that might cause my close friends and families to get hit by a car in the coming days/weeks :P

But, in case it wasn't clear from my posts, I agree that there is not a reason to be highly concerned or start wearing a scuba suit whenever in public.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Just drink a few more whiskeys on the plane. Alcohol kills germs right?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Sorry, I misread the report. 20% of those who get the viral pneumonia are dying while the overall death rate is 3% of those who test positive for nCoV.

Below is something interesting from Foreign Policy magazine:

"Yet few children have yet been reported with coronavirus symptoms. That does not mean that no children have been infected. A similar pattern of benign disease in children, with increasing severity and mortality with age, was seen in SARS and MERS. SARS had a mortality rate averaging 10 percent. Yet no children, and just 1 percent of youths under 24, died, while those older than 50 had a 65 percent risk of dying. Is being an adult a risk factor per se? If so, what is it about childhood that confers protection? It may be the nonspecific effects of live vaccines such as for measles and rubella, which already have been found to provide protection from diseases beyond their immediate target. That may also explain why more men than women have been infected by the coronavirus, because women routinely are given a rubella vaccine booster in their teens to guard against the dangers of having rubella while pregnant. While we wait for an accelerated coronavirus vaccine to be ready, could innate immunity in adults be boosted by giving measles vaccines?"

Frequent travelers to China might consider getting a measles booster before they travel.
I'm very uncomfortable with this kind of grossly speculative non-expert medical advice being posted on the UA forum.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by chrisl137
That said, probably the most effective thing you can do is wash your hands regularly and don't touch your eyes, nose, and mouth. Basically good BSL 1 lab practice.
This is spot on, and one of the few ways a mask helps prevent the spread of illness TO an individual, essentially people touch thier face and mouth less often while wearing. As an unexposed, healthy individual, double your hand washing (and not touching your face/noze/mouth would likely make more of a difference than wearing a mask.

The masks are designed to catch particulates FROM coughs, talking, and sneezing. Since they are not air tight, as a non-ill wearer they really only protect against a percentage of airborne saliva that you happen to be in close proximity to. For example, the person sitting next to you sneezes in your direction and you breathe in the particulates, a percentage of air containing saliva would get caught in the mask, and a percentage would "leak" around it.

However if the I'll person was wearing a mask while they sneezed, the velocity of the sneeze forces the particulates into the mask, and if the particulates are larger than the masks coverage, they are trapped. Hence why it's more effective for people who are ill (or potentially exposed), to wear masks, over otherwise healthy individuals to wear them.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm very uncomfortable with this kind of grossly speculative non-expert medical advice being posted on the UA forum.
You'll note that I quoted an article in Foreign Policy magazine, a quite respectable publication. If you had gone there and read the article, you would have found that the quoted passage was made by Annie Sparrow, assistant professor of population health science and policy at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NY.

In addition, the MMR vaccine is recommended for most international travelers and is quite harmless, unless you believe Jenny McCarthy.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by scracer14
This is spot on, and one of the few ways a mask helps prevent the spread of illness TO an individual, essentially people touch thier face and mouth less often while wearing. As an unexposed, healthy individual, double your hand washing (and not touching your face/noze/mouth would likely make more of a difference than wearing a mask.
I will say, I don't know if I'm typical, but I touch my face a lot without thinking about it. So the mask could indeed help there
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:43 pm

have they figured out how long the infected cough "droplets" stay "alive" and are able to transmit the virus ?

I am amazed how many people sneeze and do not even cover their face with their hand ,

And as far as the face mask not working 100% , even if it works 80% thats a lot better since your real chances of catching this virus even if you are Wuhan today are very very small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.