Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Poll on 2020 reservations on non UA *A for qualification status

Old Nov 21, 19, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Can we put up a poll?

Question is how many have already purchased tickets on other *A carriers instead of UA to because of PQP earning rules for MP?

Answers would be:

1. Yes
2. No, will not be pursuing this strategy but still will try to qualify
3. No, but plan to make *A bookings instead of UA.
4. Won't bother trying to qualify.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:18 pm

1) Yes

For first time in a couple of years, not entering new year w/ a Polaris reservation. Instead, have a HNL-LHR AC r.t. business class trip booked for April. Also flying SYD-HNL via AKL on NZ in January, but that was booked prior to changes announced. Those two trips alone knock out 8k PQPs and 6 PQFs.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 21, 19 at 8:24 pm
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
1) Yes. 25% more PQP by doing so. And cheaper.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mods please insert a poll.
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
1) Yes
Trying AC Signature class for the first time and it's the best PQP return on deep discount business.
Hipplewm likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 10:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG/Mar Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
1) Yes

Booked ANA biz (in the new “The Room”!) from JFK to SIN instead of Polaris. Will get around 2.5x more PQPs than booking on UA. Honestly, I prefer the food and service on NH as well, and with the new hard product, may also end up preferring the seat!
Hipplewm likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K&1.88MM, MR lifetime Gold, HZ PC,
mostly 4) for me but perhaps partly 1)

I have a booking on NH, but I also have a trip to India on UA (which was booked before the changes were announced). The key is that I'm only focused on finishing my run to 2MM, which will happen probably by mid-year or so. Beyond that, I won't be making any particular effort for status, not least because I won't have the job I currently have that affords me international business class travel a few times a year.

AC is the way to go, but it's a tough seat to sleep on as your knees and shins can get destroyed. Same for most of the NH seats. So bottom line for me is I'll just book what works best, and end up where I end up. Ironically, after years of infrequent international work travel keeping me as a 1K, one of the new roles I'm considering would likely get me a good 30-40 PQF's and 10K PQP's.
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
AC is the way to go, but it's a tough seat to sleep on as your knees and shins can get destroyed. Same for most of the NH seats. So bottom line for me is I'll just book what works best, and end up where I end up. Ironically, after years of infrequent international work travel keeping me as a 1K, one of the new roles I'm considering would likely get me a good 30-40 PQF's and 10K PQP's.
You're talking about in Y, not J?
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
You're talking about in Y, not J?
I'm talking about J. The AC pods are the diamond reverse herringbone seats, with tray table under the fixed screen, and insufficient height to bend your knees or roll unless you're well under 6 foot tall.

Of course, I'm expressing a purely personal opinion/perspective. I'm very much in the minority - love the old QR, TK seats. Prefer the UA 2-4-2 to Polaris, etc etc.
Old Nov 21, 19, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hmm, I'm 5-9. Only time I took AC was YVR-HKG in J. I think it was a 777.

Don't recall any problems so hope it's at least that on the rest of their fleet, to other destinations.
Old Nov 22, 19, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
I (hopefully) will reach 1k on an upcoming flight, at which point my plan is to look to see if there are confirmable GPUs at booking on United, then look to see if there deep discount partner business, and then look to see if there is a reasonable United Eco option. For spring trips I've already scoped out the *A partners I would take if the United upgrade availability disappears between now and my flight
Old Nov 22, 19, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Hmm, I'm 5-9. Only time I took AC was YVR-HKG in J. I think it was a 777.

Don't recall any problems so hope it's at least that on the rest of their fleet, to other destinations.
You'll be absolutely fine at 5'9". My general estimate is that it's at around 5'10" that these types of seats become annoying (again, if you are a knee bender and roller - if you're a flat back sleeper it won't be an issue anyway)
Old Nov 22, 19, 12:58 am

Programs: Starriott PP, UA 1K, Hertz PC
1) for sure

AC in P and Z return much more PQP
If I can find PE on ANA or LH with confirmable GPU
Holy Grail - Have to book a last minute ticket on LH/ANA in C,D,J and can use a GPU and then have it clear

Buying an international ticket on 016 ticket stock is literally my last option
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:57 am

Programs: OnePass, PriorityClub
4. Not much point as I am a mm.

However, my husband is only 200k to mm. We will be flying the next 200k on United unless the price and/or schedule is better on partners as with our January trip to Africa. We do prefer Polaris over LH business, thou. That said, price and schedule will be the determining factors.
Old Nov 22, 19, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'll keep flying UA and *A depending on product/price/schedule, I'll just get PQP for more of my *A flying now. Maybe a little more *A in PE/J than before since I won't miss PQD by doing so, but in Y it's all UA anywhere they fly because of E+. Probably end up around the same status.

Search this Thread