Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
100 PQP says golds free lose E+
200 PQP says those PQP's will be effectively worthless by the time you have to pay off the bet.
drewguy and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked at some of these UA fares and they look nothing like DL C+ fares (which are available from the lowest fare classes starting at V on up and earn no class of service bonus). The UA fare filings seem to be only on domestic PE routes and just seem to be a variant of the existing domestic PE fares, but with different routing rules (connecting vs. non-stop) or advance purchase requirements. It would take a huge leap to say this is indicative of making E+ a separate fare class on UA.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 8, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
100 PQP says golds free lose E+
I've got a good idea for UA:
How about E+ costs 10-20 PlusPoints or 5,000 to 10,000 miles, depending upon the length of the flight?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
How about E+ costs 10-20 PlusPoints or 5,000 to 10,000 miles, depending upon the length of the flight?
Don’t give them (bad) ideas! They’re already executing on some of them!
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
You must root for the Yankees
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:55 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Maybe E+ customers will finally get free drinks?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Part of me is actually HOPING United does this. Please United. I beg of you!
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by bmw303
Hopefully United doesn't go the way of DL on this.
Delta elites get C+; just like United elites get E+. Assuming one has the proper level, end results for both are the same.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
If this all pans out, considering how much more E+ UA has compared to DL, I'd wager that UA would continue to give free E+ at booking to gold elites and above, as it is now. DL has much smaller E+ cabins and so naturally needs to be more restrictive. Of course, this assumes UA doesn't reduce the size of the E+ "cabins".
Well, they have been on widebodies, putting PP in place of E+ seats and somewhat reducing further the E+ cabin.

But that to me suggests that they haven't been selling E+ enough to justify the extra cabin space (or reduce E- seats) so they're "rightsizing" the available E+ seats. If they genuinely think they can sell more E+ through some other vehicle, it's inconsistent with that.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Delta elites get C+; just like United elites get E+. Assuming one has the proper level, end results for both are the same.
I suspect many DL Silver and Gold members would disagree with this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect many DL Silver and Gold members would disagree with this.
To clarify, I was only talking about getting C+/E+ upon booking being similar.

Yes, certain elite groups are excluded until closer to departure - UA (Silver) and DL (Silver and Gold).
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:56 am

Yeah.......

So a couple of thoughts on this:

1. DL not only limited C+ to Platinum and above, but they limited the number of seats. I literally have to buy C+ tickets to get my family into C+. UA allows up to 8 right now. I would guess that they are trying to cater to their high dollar fliers without paying anything - make sure that C+ is available for that person spending $900 to fly ORD-MSY or whatever.

2. I appreciate the screwing prior to Dec 31. I had already decided to leave UA, but if I had not this would have been a giant kick in the pants.

I am really confused by all of this - does UA not think their revenue will drop from this kind of behavior? Is there really that many people spending 20k+ a year traveling that they don't have to worry about the 10-20k people?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
I am really confused by all of this - does UA not think their revenue will drop from this kind of behavior? Is there really that many people spending 20k+ a year traveling that they don't have to worry about the 10-20k people?
I guess we'll find out if UA's bean counters were using good data and if UA marketing had a clue.

David
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by DELee
I guess we'll find out if UA's bean counters were using good data and if UA marketing had a clue.
If the economy keeps doing well and the load factors remain as they are the execs will look like geniuses implementing these new branded fares. If on the other hand we enter a recession and air travel tapers off they’ll sure regret shooing off their “bottom feeder” elites through reduction of benefits and increased earn requirements. Can UA make more marginal revenue by charging their lower and mid tier elites more for the same fare? Absolutely! But what they gain in short term revenue they’ll lose in long term loyalty. Many of us international travellers choose UA because it offers the lowest fares of the legacy, the best schedule, and good perks. When they start introducing complications for that like Economy Light (now Basic Economy) and new fare classes that in effect box in us k fare travellers those benefits erode.

Last edited by FlyerTalker70; Nov 9, 2019 at 10:36 am
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by j2simpso
If the economy keeps doing well and the load factors remain as they are the execs will look like geniuses. If on the other hand we enter a recession and air travel tapers off they’ll sure regret shooing off their “bottom feeder” elites through reduction of benefits and increased earn requirements.
Or replaced "bottom feeder" elites with "bottom feeder" BE buyers.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.