Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
Why do you think I haven't sued them over their website indicating that tickets have a 24 hour flexible booking policy and finding out the hard way that this didn't apply to tickets purchased less than a week before departure?
Because UA is following the guidance of the DOT?

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...al20130530.pdf

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I will wait a while to see if a class action is filed before going to Small Claims. If there's no class action I have to believe that defending dozens of Small Claims cases will cost UA enough to get their attention..
Respectfully disagree. It doesn't cost UA much to handle a lawsuit given they have a team of in house lawyers that are designed to be putting out the various fires any major corporation may encounter. If anything UA's resources may make small claims cases untenable for small litigators since they can use their resources to bully the plaintiff (i.e. unnecessary discovery, requesting to change venues to Chicago where they are HQ'd, etc.) The benefit of having a class is everyone can pool their resources on one major case to take battle the dragon!

The most telling thing will be if any law firm is willing to take up the class action on a consignment basis (i.e. you don't pay the law firm unless you win). If you can cross that hurdle then it means that the lawyers think you have a strong case (why else would they put all their resources on the line?)

-James
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Do you honestly think that if the numbers are low, they're going to reverse course and say "our bad, you all now can have access?" I think that's about as naïve as you can possibly get. What they're looking for is a way to justify what they did, but they have absolutely no intention of changing.

I agree that there are certain people in very high positions at UA (possibly just one person) who have absolutely no intention of changing their mind. But I also believe there are a number of good, influential people at UA who think what they are doing is not right, and are powerless to do anything about it. And I wouldn’t put it past the former to tell the latter “Show me the numbers, and if they really are as low as you claim, and if it won’t cost us more than $X, we will grant the exemption.” All decisions which UA makes these days are hyper-focused on the bottom line, to the exclusion of everything else. It’s a terrible way to run a company.

I think that we should still complain to whomever we can when we are flying UA/*A and at the UC’s.
Mikey and Halo117 like this.

Last edited by SS255; Nov 13, 2019 at 9:09 am
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Because UA is following the guidance of the DOT?

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...al20130530.pdf
I am aware of the DOT rules. However the DOT just sets minimum requirements; airlines are allowed to do more than the DOT requires. The issue is that the website will regurgitate the 24 hour flexible booking policy rule when purchasing a flight that departs less than 7 days from the time of booking, and (at least in some cases) UA strictly enforces the DOT rules. In other words, the website says it's safe to book because you can cancel within 24 hours, but this is in fact not the case. UA's not running afoul of DOT rules but is probably running afoul of some FTC truth in advertising guideline when it does this. Similarly, if all of you who bought lifetime Club memberships reasonably believed that you could use the Clubs any time, even when not flying UA/*A, well, you might have a case. But I wouldn't expect your lifetime memberships to stand if you take UA to small claims and win.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
D'ya know, sometimes you just have to honour what you said you were going to do and admit a mea culpa. But when their egos are the sizes of solar systems there is no backing down. I would trust them as far as I could drop kick a moose.
SS255 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by SS255
I agree that there are certain people in very high positions at UA (possibly just one person) who have absolutely no intention of changing their mind. But I also believe there are a number of good, influential people at UA who think what they are doing is not right, and are powerless to do anything about it.
This scenario seems totally plausible. My sense is that at Delta there was one key decision maker (Sandeep Dube) who made the argument that Delta wants to be viewed as a premium brand which means that removing access benefits from lifetime members would undermine this proposition...and that AA followed in line. His analog at AA used to be Maya Liebmann, but she moved from AC to The Club; not sure who replaces her.

Might we be more effective if we can figure out which executive is either the blocking force, or the key decision maker? It probably is not the CEO. Is it Toby Enqvist? Someone else?
PS: Mods please feel free to redact executive names if you feel this violates a community norm. Know we are not suppose to name front line employees, but that there is a different standard for execs.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
This scenario seems totally plausible. My sense is that at Delta there was one key decision maker (Sandeep Dube) who made the argument that Delta wants to be viewed as a premium brand which means that removing access benefits from lifetime members would undermine this proposition...and that AA followed in line. His analog at AA used to be Maya Liebmann, but she moved from AC to The Club; not sure who replaces her.

Might we be more effective if we can figure out which executive is either the blocking force, or the key decision maker? It probably is not the CEO. Is it Toby Enqvist? Someone else?

PS: Mods please feel free to redact executive names if you feel this violates a community norm. Know we are not suppose to name front line employees, but that there is a different standard for execs.

And not a very high one at that! I'll get me coat........
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am aware of the DOT rules. However the DOT just sets minimum requirements; airlines are allowed to do more than the DOT requires. The issue is that the website will regurgitate the 24 hour flexible booking policy rule when purchasing a flight that departs less than 7 days from the time of booking, and (at least in some cases) UA strictly enforces the DOT rules. In other words, the website says it's safe to book because you can cancel within 24 hours, but this is in fact not the case. UA's not running afoul of DOT rules but is probably running afoul of some FTC truth in advertising guideline when it does this. Similarly, if all of you who bought lifetime Club memberships reasonably believed that you could use the Clubs any time, even when not flying UA/*A, well, you might have a case. But I wouldn't expect your lifetime memberships to stand if you take UA to small claims and win.
Whenever you book a ticket on UA's website, there is a link about it:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-policy.html

United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees if you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100 percent refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations are not eligible for changes within 24 hours, they are still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight.

Suing for truth in advertising? Come on now. Do you want UA to spell out every single word on the same page? Design matters, which is why UA has a separate T&C section with additional details.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:28 am

I'm going to contact the law firm within the next week
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Mikey
I'm going to contact the law firm within the next week
I’m wondering if it might be more appropriate for the resident lawyer on this thread to reach out since he would likely speak more eloquently/technical than any of us could ever dream of?

-James
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I’m wondering if it might be more appropriate for the resident lawyer on this thread to reach out since he would likely speak more eloquently/technical than any of us could ever dream of?
The person with 5 total posts on FT and a join date of this month? Versus a person with over 1,000 posts and 20 years on FT?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The person with 5 total posts on FT and a join date of this month? Versus a person with over 1,000 posts and 20 years on FT?
I don't know I'm not a lawyer
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:30 am

If the folks here want me to cede this effort to someone else I'm perfectly fine with that. Let's see what people think.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey
If the folks here want me to cede this effort to someone else I'm perfectly fine with that.
If you want to ensure 100% it actually happens, then make the call
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If you want to ensure 100% it actually happens, then make the call
I second this. To clarify, my suggestion was just that a suggestion! At the end of the day any of the veterans on FT who are regulars on this thread could easily plead the case to the lawyers. Whether they choose to take our case is a whole other matter and I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

We have been deliberating over this topic for ages and I suspect many in the community just want to get the ball rolling. The time for contemplating, debate and discussion are over (we've had over a year for that!)

As they say in my home country Give'er

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.