Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by soartoday
So, am I still the only person here who got United to write me a big check after they lost a small claims lawsuit, even after they refused mediation beyond offering me 5000 miles?

Check your state rules, and see if November 2019 is still within statute of limitations.
You've been asked a few times for details - perhaps it would help other poster with the contract you used as evidence of a breach - the State - amount of judgement - etc

Although at the end of the day - I don't think most people want to lose the lifetime membership considering the cost nowadays.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:53 pm

Well for me United has severely cut down the service out of my local airport so there aren't very many places I can go in United anyway. So I switched allegiances to Alaska and Southwest and I joined the Alaska club.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
AA and DL have kept their promises to club member Lifers. UA has not.
They did not, initially. But they were good enough to reverse after the ethical pressures piled on.

Nothing will change so long as UA CEO John Scott Kirby '89 continues to ignore or forget the Honor Code he learned and practiced as a USAFA Cadet.
Do not forget he is a card player. And he also learned from USAFA and now practice resilience.

So, am I still the only person here who got United to write me a big check after they lost a small claims lawsuit, even after they refused mediation beyond offering me 5000 miles?.
At least in the early period after the announcement, UA, in responding to complaints, gave 10,000 miles to some who paid cash for lifetime membership.
SPN Lifer and soartoday like this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Mikey
Well for me United has severely cut down the service out of my local airport so there aren't very many places I can go in United anyway. So I switched allegiances to Alaska and Southwest and I joined the Alaska club.
Maybe @soartoday can share some information with you on how he proceeded. You are probably among the most disadvantaged by this change. Good luck.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Already talked to Mikey! Wishing the best for that lawsuit too

Originally Posted by uanj
Maybe @soartoday can share some information with you on how he proceeded. You are probably among the most disadvantaged by this change. Good luck.
uanj likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Already talked to Mikey! Wishing the best for that lawsuit too
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 10:00 pm

I'm trying not to be too public (or specific) about my case because I still have my lifetime United Club membership despite the judgement in my favor, and I don't want that to change.

It was small claims, so this was adjudicated by a commissioner. I've shared details with everyone who's asked in DMs, but here's the general gist.
  • Filed small claims case. Reached out to United to see if they wanted to meditate. I had separately reached out to two UA employee contacts via mutual contacts to see if there was appetite to carve out lifetime members (seemed like no).
  • In the small claims filing, I asked for a prorated refund of the membership fee I had paid circa 2010 plus legal fees. I could have adjusted for inflation but decided not to. A lawyer who advised me said I could have also asked for additional compensation for alternate arrangements (e.g. other lounge membership fees, etc.), but I did not (despite having paid for AA lounges).
  • I tried to keep my claim very simple. Rather than attach pages and pages of supporting documentation, I just wrote one paragraph with a summary of my complaint and amount. I did not include any receipts or other documentation. It's always possible to elaborate on it during the trial/hearing. Service to United was by certified mail.
  • After a while, I was contacted by a person who works for United in handling these types of "cases." She seemed a bit rude and very dismissive of my plight. She confidently told me that United will fully defend the claim. Offered me a token number of miles. I refused the token settlement offer. I did not talk to her again before the trial date.
  • The court date finally arrived. When my case was called, I was delighted to see that nobody from United showed up. The commissioner still asked me to summarize my complaint. He repeated parts of the claim back to me and asked a few questions. No idea if he was genuinely curious about the situation or was just going through the motions. In retrospect, I wonder if he was trying to nudge me to add additional amounts to my claim.
  • I have no idea if I would have won if United showed up. Lawyers with whom I spoke told me I had a decent case because it's not just about the text terms and conditions but what was represented at time of purchase in the "adhesion contract." They told me that the legal principle is that if you don't have a chance to negotiate the agreement, then the agreement isn't as black as white as a contract that both sides knowingly sign. Based on that, I can argue that I didn't receive what should have been delivered. Furthermore, lawyers advised me that in my state, small claims commissioners can pretty much decide whatever they want, regardless of the letter of the law. They advised me to play up the fact that airlines are tough to deal with, and that this was just one more betrayal. Again, not a legal principle but anything to gain sympathy from the commissioner.
  • The commissioner checked the paperwork to ensure that United was served correctly. After that, he summarized his judgement with the exact award that I had asked for, including legal fees.
  • The judgement was entered, but I had to wait out the appeal period. After the appeal period expired, I reached back out to the United contact. After she realized the case was already over, she was pretty cordial. None of the previous rudeness.
  • After a while I got my check in the mail! I was half hoping United wouldn't pay up on time, and I could leverage local law enforcement to seize some office furniture or something.
  • My United Club membership is still active, despite United writing me a check for a large chunk of what I paid.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Maybe if you pointed to the court case online, it might help others. They'd be able to sue United and show it as a finding of court and therefore, a precedent.

Per below, are you actually unable to demonstrate your "victory"? Seriously - documented outcome of your win would really be helpful to others.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You've been asked a few times for details - perhaps it would help other poster with the contract you used as evidence of a breach - the State - amount of judgement - etc

Although at the end of the day - I don't think most people want to lose the lifetime membership considering the cost nowadays.

Last edited by soartoday; Aug 18, 2023 at 10:07 pm
Old Aug 18, 2023, 10:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...I asked for a prorated refund of the membership fee I had paid circa 2010 plus legal fees. ....
How did you handle the proration?
2010-2019-date of filing???
Since you only loss partial access, when not flying UA, how did you factor that in?
Old Aug 19, 2023, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How did you handle the proration?
2010-2019-date of filing???
Since you only loss partial access, when not flying UA, how did you factor that in?
Rough math on my life expectancy, subtracting the years 2010-2019 when I got full use of the membership. I didn't have a good way of accounting for times when I would still fly UA domestically or in coach, so I just ignored that. I would have been perfectly fine if United cancelled my membership along with the refund I asked for. But they refused to discuss settlement beyond the token miles.

To be honest, I've probably used my membership less than 10 times since 2019. By 2015 or so, I had already switched most of my domestic flying to AA/AS, and I was only flying UA when their schedule was significantly better. I told the commissioner that I relied on the fact that the membership allowed access when not flying United when I purchased it. This is absolutely true: the United lounge location in my home airport is easily accessible when flying other airlines.

​​​​​​
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So does lifetime membership to RCC still work when flying United same day? Way to many posts to sort through...maybe we can add that info to the sticky?
Old Dec 26, 2023, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So does lifetime membership to RCC still work when flying United same day? Way to many posts to sort through...maybe we can add that info to the sticky?
If taking a same day, same airport *A flight, yes which is what the thread title states.
If no *A flight, no.

The main thread is Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) - FlyerTalk Forums

This thread is about objections by some LT members to being subject to the same restrictions as regular members.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2023 at 6:20 pm Reason: This thread is ....
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Lifetime Plat;Hilton Diamond
Yes, I have a lifetime RCC and still use it. Unfortunately only when flying UA, not other airlines like when we got it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.