FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1993879-lifetime-member-edition-uc-access-changes-nov-1-2019-same-day-bp-ua-partner.html)

MSPeconomist Nov 3, 2018 2:11 pm

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

I wonder how many lifetime UC members will be impacted.

HNLbasedFlyer Nov 3, 2018 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30389300)

I'd bet well under 1% of the total UC Membership is a lifetime UC member.

scubadu Nov 3, 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30389300)

Likely an exceedingly, almost immeasurable percentage of overall membership, but likely be an exceedingly vocal and overly miffed group of folks on FT.

Regards

iluv2fly Nov 3, 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30389680)
Likely an exceedingly, almost immeasurable percentage of overall membership, but likely be an exceedingly vocal and overly miffed group of folks on FT.

Regards

You rang?

ctownflyer Nov 3, 2018 6:25 pm

I paid for a lifetime CO Club membership based on being able to access it regardless of what airline (or even if) I was flying. I would not have paid if it was this limited.

Sounds like it's time for a class action if UA doesn't carve out an exception for lifetime members.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Nov 3, 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 30389908)
I paid for a lifetime CO Club membership based on being able to access it regardless of what airline (or even if) I was flying. I would not have paid if it was this limited.

Sounds like it's time for a class action if UA doesn't carve out an exception for lifetime members.

Do you srilll have the T&Cs at original purchase? Be interesting to see if CO has an out.

SS255 Nov 3, 2018 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 30389918)

Do you srilll have the T&Cs at original purchase? Be interesting to see if CO has an out.

I checked to see if I still had my original CO PC lifetime membership agreement, but I guess I tossed it. I'm banging my head against the wall, cursing whatever spring cleaning year resulted in that purge.

ctownflyer Nov 3, 2018 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 30390123)

I checked to see if I still had my original CO PC lifetime membership agreement, but I guess I tossed it. I'm banging my head against the wall, cursing whatever spring cleaning year resulted in that purge.

I have a receipt in my email for the purchase, but there are no terms.

I've emailed GS CS, United Club CS, and Oscar. I'm sure they'll say too bad, but let's see where this goes

deek Nov 3, 2018 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 30389856)
You rang?

Me too; I use the UC for many non-UA trips since I'm Lifetime UC and Lifetime 1K. I no longer fly much on UA; moved most of my travel to DL.

UA_Flyer Nov 3, 2018 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 30389290)
UA continues to help me justify my AMEX Platinum card and entrance to Centurion lounges and Priority Pass lounges. With the change in 1K PQD qualification next year, OAL are my future. This lifetime member will be "unleashed" in 2020.

I have never paid for the UC as never saw the benefit (and rarely flew domestic on a regular basis until last year) and rarely use the UC when eligible these days as better options, but I would be annoyed if I paid for the UC and my usage would now decrease. Perhaps a matter or perspective of whether you are based in a hub or not.

I am also looking at Priority Pass Lounges now, because of my international travels.

This policy impacts me because I do fly OAL out of HKG often and the UC membership has been a benefit to use HK United Club.

Lifetime member here! Not happy at all!

AAdmiral Nov 3, 2018 11:51 pm

I agree. I also purchased a CO Club lifetime and would like to know how they can change our particular benefit. I can understand when people renew having the new rules apply but they need to exempt lifetime members. I'd join onto your class action.

wxguy Nov 4, 2018 5:31 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 30389308)
I'd bet well under 1% of the total UC Membership is a lifetime UC member.

I'm in the 1%. I bought my LT membership from EA in the late 1980s with 100,000 EA miles. That transferred to CO, then to UA. I think I've gotten my "miles worth." Since UA and AA are in the same terminal at BOS, I do use the UA Club a few times a year when flying AA. It was nice while it lasted.

scubadu Nov 4, 2018 6:17 am

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 30391114)
I'm in the 1%. I bought my LT membership from EA in the late 1980s with 100,000 EA miles. That transferred to CO, then to UA. I think I've gotten my "miles worth." Since UA and AA are in the same terminal at BOS, I do use the UA Club a few times a year when flying AA. It was nice while it lasted.

I think your response/approach is far more rational than the "lets start a class action lawsuit" approach.

Regards

ctownflyer Nov 4, 2018 6:41 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30391224)
I think your response/approach is far more rational than the "lets start a class action lawsuit" approach.

Regards

Easy to be rational when you've gotten 3+ decades of use for 100K miles versus a decade at an upfront cost of thousands of dollars paid under the promise of lifetime airport club membership without airline restrictions.

FlyingHighlander Nov 4, 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 30391278)
Easy to be rational when you've gotten 3+ decades of use for 100K miles versus a decade at an upfront cost of thousands of dollars paid under the promise of lifetime airport club membership without airline restrictions.

When one airline buys another, do they have to grandfather in such things?