FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1993879-lifetime-member-edition-uc-access-changes-nov-1-2019-same-day-bp-ua-partner.html)

ctownflyer Nov 23, 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 30457922)
I'd wager more likely than not, UA lawyers haven't debated this whatsoever and haven't even been looped in. My opinion, DL havesn't debated this either and they announced months ago before UA.

I'm working my way through another lifetime dispute with Fairmont and their lawyers are heavily involved.
I'd be very surprised if UA makes a decision here without involving their legal team.

PanAmWT Nov 24, 2018 1:17 am

I bought my lifetime RCC membership around 2000. At that time membership allowed access to any RCC (both land side and air side) with no restriction of same day travel and certainly no restriction of airlines we fly. I used the HKG RCC many times when I flew other airlines, and continued to do so today flying non *A airlines. Actually that was the main benefit for me because most my flights are international on UA or *A and always have lounge access per *A Gold. Now this will not be possible next year according to recent news.

Since San Diego 1K mentioned a 2000 RCC book, I wonder if the right of access under lifetime membership is in a contract good for lifetime or if UA can change rules every year? I know the 4 hours free conference room use was honored until there was no more conference room, so it appears that the benefit stated in the original lifetime membership was still valid relative recently. What about access to all RCC (or UC now) without special conditions? If UA has the right to change the rules and the rules bound on original lifetime members, what if they decides in the future that each use will cost $27 as the basic level of Priority Pass membership stipulates? Or each guest has to pay $27?

flyer austin Dec 6, 2018 11:50 am

interested

I'm too new to the sight to edit the post and add my name, but I am interested.
My wife and I both bought lifetime passes from CO prior to the merger with UA.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 6, 2018 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyer austin (Post 30505845)
I'm too new to the sight to edit the post and add my name, but I am interested.
My wife and I both bought lifetime passes from CO prior to the merger with UA.

I did it on your behalf

radonc1 Dec 10, 2018 1:06 pm

A little help please
I have been looking at what UC life time members are doing in regards to the new rules limiting admission to passengers on UA or *A tickets only. As probably previously noted, the new rules are not what we agreed to at the time of purchase.
When I wrote to customer service, they basically told me to go suck eggs but do it with a $100 e-cert :mad: The last thing I was trying to do was shake them down for a certificate.

While I don't fly on other airlines very much, I go through CLE, and there is only 1 lounge (UC) and i use both UA and AA. Losing the UC will not make me happy in the slightest.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LegalTender Dec 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 30519815)
When I wrote to customer service, they basically told me to go suck eggs but do it with a $100 e-cert :mad: The last thing I was trying to do was shake them down for a certificate.

I doubt UA plans to exempt LIfetime members if they're offering a door prize. They've spoken.

Buy-ins stopped 09/30/2011. A $5900 membership divided by 7 comes to $842.85/year. They're the ones to be consoled.

ctownflyer Dec 24, 2018 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 30457786)
Hence the question, does a paid club membership that had no airline ticket requirement fall under the ADA?
And does UA want this to be the test case?
I'd wager that UAs lawyers have been debating this since I raised the issue.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 30457922)
I'd wager more likely than not, UA lawyers haven't debated this whatsoever and haven't even been looped in. My opinion, DL havesn't debated this either and they announced months ago before UA.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 30458105)
I'm working my way through another lifetime dispute with Fairmont and their lawyers are heavily involved.
I'd be very surprised if UA makes a decision here without involving their legal team.

"Dear ctownflyer,

I have been in contact with our Director of Premium Services who is working with our legal department to determine if there is an exception. Again, I am so sorry this is taking so long. As a goodwill gesture for your patience while we look into this matter, I have deposited 10,000 bonus miles to your MileagePlus account. I will update you as soon as I know more.

Regards,
xxx
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care

PanAmWT Dec 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Thank you for your leadership in this matter and thank you for keeping us posted.

soartoday Dec 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 30569922)
"Dear ctownflyer,

I have been in contact with our Director of Premium Services who is working with our legal department to determine if there is an exception. Again, I am so sorry this is taking so long. As a goodwill gesture for your patience while we look into this matter, I have deposited 10,000 bonus miles to your MileagePlus account. I will update you as soon as I know more.

Regards,
xxx
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care

I received a small e-cert goodwill gesture as well, but this seems to indicate that perhaps they do not plan to change the policy... Hoping for the best, though.

jiburi Jan 9, 2019 10:46 am

Just posting from Delta, Delta Sky Club did make a last minute change to lifetiime Sky Club Members.

While I do not know what details (other than many angry correspondence with the change policy) transpired to making the last minute change, here is the language of the policy change.

All Delta Sky Club Members* and their guest may only gain access to the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines.

*Excludes existing Delta Sky Club Lifetime Members and their guests. Lifetime Members may continue to access the Club with same-day ticketed air travel on any airline. Note: Delta Sky Club Lifetime Membership are no longer offered.
Best,
Jiburi

soartoday Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 30632506)
Just posting from Delta, Delta Sky Club did make a last minute change to lifetiime Sky Club Members.

While I do not know what details (other than many angry correspondence with the change policy) transpired to making the last minute change, here is the language of the policy change.

Best,
Jiburi

Thank you for sharing! Hope this bodes well for United following suit. It's the right thing to do.

ctownflyer Jan 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi (Post 30632506)

Best,
Jiburi

Thanks, I've passed this onto the UA Exec dealing with this issue.

Xyzzy Jan 10, 2019 1:16 pm

^ UA is good at following DL...

RichardInSF Jan 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Premier Plat lifetime member here. I wrote UA to complain about this change and got nothing: A canned response that didn't even mention the issue, just a general meaningless apology. They even got my elite level wrong. I guess the door prizes go to people with higher status than Premier Plat!

soartoday Jan 15, 2019 2:17 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 30653850)
Premier Plat lifetime member here. I wrote UA to complain about this change and got nothing: A canned response that didn't even mention the issue, just a general meaningless apology. They even got my elite level wrong. I guess the door prizes go to people with higher status than Premier Plat!

Well, hopefully we get the issue resolved rather than compensation, but you probably haven't reached the tight department. Try emailing Oscar.