Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I dn't think this is a done deal. The reply I received re: lifetime members & the new rule included, "We'll continue to monitor the feedback we receive about this recent policy change."
Keep on writing y'all
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
I dn't think this is a done deal. The reply I received re: lifetime members & the new rule included, "We'll continue to monitor the feedback we receive about this recent policy change."
As many active (and FT) LT members have sent or are sending emails, the volume of the mails will decrease over time. So unless the volume of complaints can sustain for some period of time, UA will stop the monitoring and close the case.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I received a call, which was somewhat similar in messaging: Just enough to give me hope, and just enough on their side to shut me up (for now).

This is one of those times when I REALLY, REALLY miss Scott O'Leary (the original CO Insider who became the original UA Insider). I'm convinced that if he were still at UA, he'd be our advocate. Scott was like the "Short-Sighted Decision Makers Whisperer." And if all of his whispering efforts failed, he'd come back to us with a solid (if not always popular) business case for the bad news*. I cannot think of one potential solid business case for not grandfathering in the lifetime members.

*Or at least he did back in the CO days -- before the merged UA-CO shut him down.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
I cannot think of one potential solid business case for not grandfathering in the lifetime members.
The business case might be coming from legal. UA fought hard in the Silver Wings and Million Miler lawsuits - the Court of Appeals basically saying UA committed consumer fraud but that the court did not have jurisdiction - the only remedy would be the Dept of Transportation who did not act.

I can definitely see legal saying - we have precedent here and a carve out for all lifetime club members can potentially impact other things you may want to do in the future.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The business case might be coming from legal. UA fought hard in the Silver Wings and Million Miler lawsuits - the Court of Appeals basically saying UA committed consumer fraud but that the court did not have jurisdiction - the only remedy would be the Dept of Transportation who did not act.

I can definitely see legal saying - we have precedent here and a carve out for all lifetime club members can potentially impact other things you may want to do in the future.

“We set a precedent for engaging in consumer fraud. So, we should keep engaging in consumer fraud because honoring contracts and promises is bad for our future interests.”
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Got a call today as well. Like another poster stated some hope but no promises. They are expecting more emails as the date nears especially the influx lately. Keep writing....I made a quip about the MP changes and that has blown up the lines too.

What I did mention is that the club membership was always a separate transaction from the flight. Even acces was granted without flying and this was allowed at the time of purchase. I even said most people were OK with the same day boarding pass requirement made a few years back as they likely would only have airside access when flying. This new restriction goes beyond that and directly ties an additional united transaction to a previously purchased membership...overall just asked they "make it right".
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
It's unfortunate that the timing of the MP changes means they are being inundated with those complaints this month. Those obviously pertain to a wider audience.

As a group, we still have the following tactics:
  1. Keep writing, for those who haven't written in recently.
  2. We can organize a day to take to Twitter with a joint message (e.g. "@United renegs on promise to 'lifetime' members over cost of soup and snack mix. Some paid $3000+ for access to lounge."). Maybe tag some industry news outlets.
  3. Contact media directly. See if they'll pick it up alongside other customer-unfriendly changes.
  4. After November 1 (assuming no changes), we'll need to document the harm caused to establish standing in court. The amount I want to recover is under the threshold for small claims court where I live.

I still hope they change their minds for lifetime members like Delta and American have done. It seems so obviously like the right thing to do.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:23 am

Going to the media is an awesome thing to do
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Halo117
Got a call today as well. Like another poster stated some hope but no promises. They are expecting more emails as the date nears especially the influx lately. Keep writing....I made a quip about the MP changes and that has blown up the lines too.

What I did mention is that the club membership was always a separate transaction from the flight. Even acces was granted without flying and this was allowed at the time of purchase. I even said most people were OK with the same day boarding pass requirement made a few years back as they likely would only have airside access when flying. This new restriction goes beyond that and directly ties an additional united transaction to a previously purchased membership...overall just asked they "make it right".
We should have fought back when they got rid of the gate pass feature with no air travel required. Who knows what they'll come after next. No club access on basic economy tickets?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA MM *G; Lifetime United Club; CX Gold; HH Diamond
I wrote and got the below response:

Dear 1K Student:

The details of your e-mail came to the attention of Mr. Oscar Munoz and the United Airlines Executive Offices.

I regret your disappointment with the recent United Club policy change. I understand you would like special consideration for lifetime members. We never want to turn anyone away, especially a valuable customer such as yourself. I've shared your concerns with our United Club team as well as with senior management. We'll continue to monitor the feedback we receive about this recent policy change.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with Mr. Munoz. As a Premier Gold Million Miler, we appreciate your business and MileagePlus loyalty.

Regards,

XXXXXXX XXXXXX
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care

Keep sending those emails in folks...
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 1K Student
I wrote and got the below response:
This response employs a virtually identical formula to those we legacy Million Mile Flyers received.

They regret your disappointment, they realize you would like special consideration, they never want to turn away a valuable customer like you, they're sharing your feedback, and they appreciate your business and loyalty.

I'm still on the sidelines rooting for you folks, but based on UA's past practices, I'm not optimistic.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Fredd
they never want to turn away a valuable customer like you
... unless they can make a dime by doing so.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
In the new "only money counts" elite qualification announcement, UA pointed out that those who fly a lot of miles can still look forward to the Lifetime MM program. If I were UA I would worry that once the the news of the treatment of Lifetime Club members is out, this argument may lose its effectiveness. Mileage flyers will lose their confidence in counting on the LT MM program. I hope UA realizes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
In the new "only money counts" elite qualification announcement, UA pointed out that those who fly a lot of miles can still look forward to the Lifetime MM program. If I were UA I would worry that once the the news of the treatment of Lifetime Club members is out, this argument may lose its effectiveness. Mileage flyers will lose their confidence in counting on the LT MM program. I hope UA realizes this.
Like how United got all worried about all the media on the Million Mile lawsuit and how people would lose confidence? The Million Miler and Silver Wings lawsuits were much bigger deals than this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:38 pm

Except that in this case, AA and DL made identical changes to their club membership entry terms, but exempted their lifetime members. So, there is industry precedent as to what the right thing to do is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.