Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2020 MP changes — Will you switch loyalty programs? What program will you switch to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Will you switch frequent flyer programs / what will you switch to?
Stay with UA (or join UA - please post)
42.75%
Change to American Airlines
5.14%
Change to Delta Air Lines
8.07%
Change to Alaska Airlines
5.14%
Change to non-US Star Alliance (please post which program)
9.72%
Change to non-US Oneworld (please post which program)
1.83%
Change to non-US SkyTeam (please post which program)
0.37%
Split alliances / programs (please post which programs)
5.14%
Cease preference for any program
16.70%
Retain no preference for any program
5.14%
Voters: 545. You may not vote on this poll

2020 MP changes — Will you switch loyalty programs? What program will you switch to?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Do we have a separate thread for people announcing/discussing switches to OAL? I am going to be moving to DL. I just looked at their status match page, and noticed something interesting: it used to be that UA Silver matched to DL Silver and UA Gold to DL Gold, but now UA Silver matches to DL Gold and UA Gold matches to DL Platinum. I think this is a recent (last couple of months) change, I am sure it is in response to UA qualification changes: DL is trying to incentivize as many people to switch as possible by being more generous with their match status.

Note that matching from AA to DL is the opposite: DL gives a lower status level to AA flyers who switch. (I.e., AA Gold gets DL Silver, etc.)

The major negative is that DL matches 1K down to Platinum.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bart889
Do we have a separate thread for people announcing/discussing switches to OAL?....
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:57 pm

I am going to be moving to DL. As a long-time EWR and then IAH-based flyer, I didn't have much choice, but since I have retired and moved back to Canada, it isn't such a lock any more. DL gives me somewhat better connectivity out of YEG, and their partnership with WS really helps things.

I just looked at their status match page, and noticed something interesting: it used to be that UA Silver matched to DL Silver and UA Gold to DL Gold, but now UA Silver matches to DL Gold and UA Gold matches to DL Platinum. I think this is a recent (last couple of months) change, I am sure it is in response to UA qualification changes: DL is trying to incentivize as many people to switch as possible by being more generous with their match status.

Note that matching from AA to DL is the opposite: DL gives a lower status level to AA flyers who switch. (I.e., AA Gold gets DL Silver, etc.)

Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
My last booked flight on United is on 11/30. I will be status matching to DL and won't be spending a dime on UA in 2020.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

I just looked at their status match page, and noticed something interesting: it used to be that UA Silver matched to DL Silver and UA Gold to DL Gold, but now UA Silver matches to DL Gold and UA Gold matches to DL Platinum. I think this is a recent (last couple of months) change, I am sure it is in response to UA qualification changes: DL is trying to incentivize as many people to switch as possible by being more generous with their match status.

Note that matching from AA to DL is the opposite: DL gives a lower status level to AA flyers who switch. (I.e., AA Gold gets DL Silver, etc.).

This is very interesting.

Is DL trying to get those "low margin elites" fired by UA?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by kb1992
This is very interesting.

Is DL trying to get those "low margin elites" fired by UA?
Initially, I thought AA or DL wouldn’t be interested in getting them, but I can see how it makes sense. If these flyers are angry or feel let down by United, even when DL and AA implement their own version of the program (spend rather than distance), the hope is that these UA emigrants will stay put.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Initially, I thought AA or DL wouldn’t be interested in getting them, but I can see how it makes sense. If these flyers are angry or feel let down by United, even when DL and AA implement their own version of the program (spend rather than distance), the hope is that these UA emigrants will stay put.
Another possibility:

UA miscalculated by raising the bars for elites too high across the board. The arrogance pissed off lots of elites.

Many of them are profitable customers whom DL and AA would be happy to have.

It's much easier to lose a customer than gaining a new one. Not sure Kirby et co. understand this.
Silver Fox and LC757 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:07 pm

Do we have a separate thread for people announcing/discussing switches to OAL? I am going to be moving to DL. I just looked at their status match page, and noticed something interesting: it used to be that UA Silver matched to DL Silver and UA Gold to DL Gold, but now UA Silver matches to DL Gold and UA Gold matches to DL Platinum. I think this is a recent (last couple of months) change, I am sure it is in response to UA qualification changes: DL is trying to incentivize as many people to switch as possible by being more generous with their match status.

Yes, it appears Delta is trying to do some serious poaching of UA Elites.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
That's not correct
AA Gold = DL Silver = UA Silver
AA Plat = DL Gold = UA Gold
AA Plat Pro = DL Plat = UA Plat
AA EXP = DL Diamond = UA 1K

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 18, 2019 at 2:53 pm Reason: split post
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by LC757
My last booked flight on United is on 11/30. I will be status matching to DL and won't be spending a dime on UA in 2020.
Mine is on 12/26. Then I'm done with them.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
AA Gold = DL Silver = UA Silver
AA Plat = DL Gold = UA Gold
AA Plat Pro = DL Plat = UA Plat
AA EXP = DL Diamond = UA 1K
You are right about AA Gold=UA Silver.

Still, it's telling that DL is giving UA elites preferential treatment by matching UA Silver to DL Gold and UA Gold to DL Platinum.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge

I found it fascinating.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Another possibility:

UA miscalculated by raising the bars for elites too high across the board. The arrogance pissed off lots of elites.

Many of them are profitable customers whom DL and AA would be happy to have.

It's much easier to lose a customer than gaining a new one. Not sure Kirby et co. understand this.
I’m sure they understand the customer retention dynamic. It will be interesting to see the reaction of flyers when AA and DL eventually change their programs.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I’m sure they understand the customer retention dynamic. It will be interesting to see the reaction of flyers when AA and DL eventually change their programs.
One thing they could do is even if they move to their own PQP system is to put the qualification requirements a little bit lower than UA. Then they can say "At leat we're not as bad as UA!" Or maybe they hope they're last ones to change so that there's no one left to run to.

Of course, there's always the risk that people will just become free agents instead as well instead of staying put...
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:46 pm

You are right about AA Gold=UA Silver.

Still, it's telling that DL is giving UA elites preferential treatment by matching UA Silver to DL Gold and UA Gold to DL Platinum.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge

I found it fascinating.
Thank you Delta, you now have my attention!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
AA tiers are off-by-one relative to DL/UA. At AA Gold is 25k, Plat is 50k, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.