Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

[deleted]

Last edited by UNDLAC; Oct 20, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
It may be just UA vs DL things. I will pay more attention to this next time.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I haven’t had this in UA, but plenty of times on AA. (Although I rarely fly UA these days...trying to move from AA to Delta, but difficult unless I want to add connections in my travel plans.)
UNDLAC likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are the FAs at the door the same ones as you have interacted on board? For example, if you're seated in FC, does the FC ignore you when deplaning? If it's another FA, that FA might be assuming that you don't speak English.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's another FA, that FA might be assuming that you don't speak English.
Although maybe true, it is a poor excuse, as there's hardly anyone alive on this planet who wouldn't understand a nod and a "Goodbye" in that context.

Maybe silence is better than this though:

Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:34 am

At least you didn't get Dao'd!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

[deleted]

Last edited by UNDLAC; Oct 2, 2019 at 8:48 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yes, I have observed OP's assertion, a lot.

I have seen it the other way, recently on a regional UX flight - EWR to CVG. Apparently a large contention of Asian travelers on the flight, FA greeted each of them; however, no responses whatsoever from almost all of them.
UNDLAC likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm white and get a goodbye of some on maybe a 3rd of flights, maybe less.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
As an Asian American man in his 30s, I haven’t noticed different treatment by FAs because of my race (though I’m also not looking out for it).

I’m based in New York and only fly UA domestically since they are the only airline that flies to SNA non-stop from the NYC area.

One time, while flying HKG-EWR on UA180, I handed a FA my water bottle to be filled with water. It was a clear plastic water bottle (as opposed to an insulated metal bottle). The FA handed my water bottle back to me filled with hot water. I was surprised... because I asked for water (which, in my mind, would be room temperature water... if I wanted hot water, I would’ve asked for hot water). I told the FA I didn’t want hot water, I just wanted water at room temperature or cold water. She was like, “oh!” and somehow made it out to be my fault.

I think most of her Asian passengers in the past have asked for hot water, so naturally, she would assume that I also wanted hot water because I am Asian. I chalked that encounter up to habit.

Another time, while flying SNA-SFO on UX in F, the FA serving our cabin didn’t believe I was over 21 and refused to serve me wine. I was 28 at the time, had left my ID in my backpack, and wasn’t going to get out of my seat just to prove to her my age. I know they’re required to ask for your ID when you look under the age of 35, but that experience did leave a bad taste in my mouth (I was on my way to Paris and wanted to treat myself!). She might not have asked a 28 year old white guy for his ID, but this is definitely an instance where the “Asian don’t raisin” euphemism can definitely work against you! After that incident, my ID is always handy, though I’m only ever carded on the west coast.

Nowadays, FAs will usually acknowledge me as I’m exiting the aircraft, but it’s probably because I’m more inclined to speak up (my IFE isn’t working! The internet isn’t working! My ‘vegetarian meal’ consisted of lettuce and slices of lemon... what the hell?!).

I’d also draw the distinction between foreign born Asian Americans who immigrated to the U.S. later in their lives; Asian Americans who came to the U.S. when they were young; and Asian Americans who are born in the United States. Most Asian Americans are from the first two categories and may experience more discrimination.
UNDLAC likes this.

Last edited by NYC2SGN; Sep 14, 2019 at 8:08 am
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Poster

[deleted]

Last edited by UNDLAC; Oct 2, 2019 at 8:51 am
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
My Korean wife is treated much better than me on United. I am treated much better than her on Asiana.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
My Korean wife is treated much better than me on United. I am treated much better than her on Asiana.
On Asiana I would attribute the difference to the observation that you're apparently male and your wife is apparently female. In Korea, men are treated much better than women in many situations.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm a white dude who did an expat assignment in China last year. Believe it not many places would give me a fork even though I have reasonable skill with chop sticks. And I had to ask to get non room temperature beer. Oh the horror.
Maybe they don't say good bye because you don't engage them. Try smiling and give a head nod and you'll get a hello or good bye every time.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:28 am

As someone who stands at the door saying goodbye, I try to say something to almost everyone. Occasionally I do take a brief timeout especially with certain passengers, who for reasons I don't fully get, walk up the aisle and out the door without so much as a lookup. Those passengers are less likely to get at "Buh Bye", "thanks for flying with us", "have a nice day" etc.

If you walk up, make eye contact and say something, anything, I guarantee you almost everyone in my industry will say something back to you. So I would ask the OP, forget about race for a second, what is YOUR behavior as you walk up the aisle towards those standing there? That would give us more information about what might be going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.