FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:59 am
NYC2SGN

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
As an Asian American man in his 30s, I haven’t noticed different treatment by FAs because of my race (though I’m also not looking out for it).

I’m based in New York and only fly UA domestically since they are the only airline that flies to SNA non-stop from the NYC area.

One time, while flying HKG-EWR on UA180, I handed a FA my water bottle to be filled with water. It was a clear plastic water bottle (as opposed to an insulated metal bottle). The FA handed my water bottle back to me filled with hot water. I was surprised... because I asked for water (which, in my mind, would be room temperature water... if I wanted hot water, I would’ve asked for hot water). I told the FA I didn’t want hot water, I just wanted water at room temperature or cold water. She was like, “oh!” and somehow made it out to be my fault.

I think most of her Asian passengers in the past have asked for hot water, so naturally, she would assume that I also wanted hot water because I am Asian. I chalked that encounter up to habit.

Another time, while flying SNA-SFO on UX in F, the FA serving our cabin didn’t believe I was over 21 and refused to serve me wine. I was 28 at the time, had left my ID in my backpack, and wasn’t going to get out of my seat just to prove to her my age. I know they’re required to ask for your ID when you look under the age of 35, but that experience did leave a bad taste in my mouth (I was on my way to Paris and wanted to treat myself!). She might not have asked a 28 year old white guy for his ID, but this is definitely an instance where the “Asian don’t raisin” euphemism can definitely work against you! After that incident, my ID is always handy, though I’m only ever carded on the west coast.

Nowadays, FAs will usually acknowledge me as I’m exiting the aircraft, but it’s probably because I’m more inclined to speak up (my IFE isn’t working! The internet isn’t working! My ‘vegetarian meal’ consisted of lettuce and slices of lemon... what the hell?!).

I’d also draw the distinction between foreign born Asian Americans who immigrated to the U.S. later in their lives; Asian Americans who came to the U.S. when they were young; and Asian Americans who are born in the United States. Most Asian Americans are from the first two categories and may experience more discrimination.

Last edited by NYC2SGN; Sep 14, 2019 at 8:08 am