Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:30 am

Been flying almost nothing but Asia for last 8 years. Always say goodbye sometimes in mandarin or japanese depending on destination. Always observed FA’s largley doing the same.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Surely, it is not as bad as Air Afrikaan

Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:20 am

I'm a white male who flies UA regularly and notices the same thing. Sometimes I'll be greeted by name whilst in F, other times no. Sometimes I'll get a thank you and goodbye, other times no.This is very much a case of YMMV across all airlines.

Getting consistently friendly cabin crew is near-impossible given the number of hubs, outstations and employees servicing these routes. Even at out-station hubs like ORD, things can become inconsistent. I'll ask a UA agent where the Polaris lounge is and they'll (still) refer to it as the GlobalFirst lounge. I would encourage you to try different times, routings and destinations and you'll quickly discover the only thing consistent about airline quality is its inconsistency.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I'm a white male who flies UA regularly and notices the same thing. Sometimes I'll be greeted by name whilst in F, other times no. Sometimes I'll get a thank you and goodbye, other times no.This is very much a case of YMMV across all airlines.

Getting consistently friendly cabin crew is near-impossible given the number of hubs, outstations and employees servicing these routes....
OP was describing something else though; the DIFFERENT treatment based on being Asian, not whether crews were friendly or unfriendly.
In your example it would be somewhat comparable if you were flying an Asian airline, and you observed/noticed/felt that you were treated different than other passengers because of your race.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
OP was describing something else though; the DIFFERENT treatment based on being Asian, not whether crews were friendly or unfriendly.
In your example it would be somewhat comparable if you were flying an Asian airline, and you observed/noticed/felt that you were treated different than other passengers because of your race.
I agree that is the right logical transposition, except that there are different cultures with different sets of assumptions.

In US culture it is generally viewed as unfair to judge by race and to act differently because of it. Of course, there is a complicated discourse around how to then act fairly. However, in many Asian cultures there is no concept that race should not be a primary basis for some decision, and it is not seen as clearly unfair to differentiate by race.

I think this question of this thread is one that is very difficult or maybe impossible to answer conclusively, and certainly it cannot be done with single anecdotes.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.