Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I understand the OP post/perspective but as a Black-American w/status in many programs, I can only give this advice. If you walk around comparing your experience to everyone else (especially majority population) you WILL drive yourself crazy! It will NEVER be equal nor will most people understand so probably best to simply applaud the FAs who did greet/salute you upon exit. Also as post #8 implies it is important to also recognize the few of your kind/hue on most flights (non-TAPAC) may also jade FA perception.

As someone who witness & complained of a UA FA grab an Indian/Indian American man's (in business attire) mobile phone seated in first class because she assumed he was video taping the cabin vs. he just needed a bunch of light to view his phone because of poor vision. I guarantee you if we think about it we have witness mistreatment of other minorities without representation to complain. This poor man was embarrassed and ridicule but reality what could he do (say she profile him as a terrorist because of his brown skin vs ignore 17 yr Molly who wants to record her first flight experinece)?
So, my final advice - change the narrative and YOU SAY 'GoodBye, A great flight and have a wonderful remainder of your day!' when you exit to the plane to all FA, pilots, etc. Make them talk about you, favorably and the fact you are Asian.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I understand the OP post/perspective but as a Black-American w/status in many programs, I can only give this advice. If you walk around comparing your experience to everyone else (especially majority population) you WILL drive yourself crazy! It will NEVER be equal nor will most people understand so probably best to simply applaud the FAs who did greet/salute you upon exit.....
So, my final advice - change the narrative and YOU SAY 'GoodBye, A great flight and have a wonderful remainder of your day!' when you exit to the plane to all FA, pilots, etc. Make them talk about you, favorably and the fact you are Asian.
Best post on this thread. I think how much better the world could be if we all followed that advice.

One time when I was walking around in Hyde Park in South Chicago, a woman with kids in her car hit the door lock button as I went by. Chunk, chunk, chunk went the locks. I could have seen that as bias and gone and lectured the woman through the glass. Or I could just pass it off as a parent being protective of her kids and move on.
RooseveltL likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Sep 14, 2019 at 4:27 pm
Old Sep 14, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Confirmation bias.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another example is that in much of Western Europe (and especially Germany and France), it's considered rude not to say the equivalent of hello or good morning at the beginning of an interaction
This is a great lead-in to the concept of "high context" vs "low context" cultures. Ever since taking a cultural awareness class in a previous job, I always start all my emails with a greeting instead of just diving into the subject.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
As a tall Asian passenger on UA for more than 20 years, I have noticed that the FA at the boarding door are often getting distracted doing something else instead of greeting customers, and I'm usually the first one to say hello before they do. They all will respond once they realized that someone is saying hello to them.

DL crew, on the other hand, tends to have a stronger sense of customer service and generally consistent with the greetings, from the agent (they have a required script to say thanks for being ____ status, which I noticed that most United gate agents don't do anymore) to the flight attendant at the door. In fact, when I was visiting DL's inflight training center earlier this year, all the FA trainees (they are identified by the jumpsuits) were greeting visitors who do not have a Delta badge as we walk past them.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA
If you don't feel different when boarding or in flight, maybe you are exhibiting some sort of behavior that makes them not want to thank you or offer you some sort of pleasantry on the way out?

Just playing devil's advocate here...
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by theshaun
If you don't feel different when boarding or in flight, maybe you are exhibiting some sort of behavior that makes them not want to thank you or offer you some sort of pleasantry on the way out?

The answer to this could be found in Post Number 16!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
As someone who makes a living interpreting data, I can tell you: if you're looking for something, somehow and some way you can always find it.
Also known as nothing ever happens
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another example is that in much of Western Europe (and especially Germany and France), it's considered rude not to say the equivalent of hello or good morning at the beginning of an interaction, for example when you approach the clerk in a store, when you enter a small establishment, or before you aska question at an information desk. Most Americans wouldn't bother this and would just immediately ask the question or order their food, etc.
Really? My experiences in the States almost always uniformly start with "How you all doing?" ... and then a (pointless) conversation on this topic ...
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
I'm Asian with a Caucasian last name -- treated no differently than others. Although sometimes some will be surprised at how I speak fluent English.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Instead of always quoting the entire post, try only quoting the part(s) you're responding to. It would also make those posts much easier to read.
Personally I find it confusing when the quoted text is stripped of context, but perhaps still there is a better way. We work with the tools we have.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I am a British born Indian and I have had the same thoughts as the OP.

I actively say goodbye/thank you when deplaning but sometimes the FAs at the door will ignore me even though I’ve just heard them acknowledge the person in front / behind me.

I don’t feel that the onboard inflight treatment is different though.

I normally fly AA.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:43 pm

I know exactly how you feel OP. Unfortunately, even if what you and I agree to be a fact, there’s really nothing we can do about it. At least they don’t spit on you. You were transported safely to your destination equally as all your fellow passengers, and United (and every other airline) does not offer an upgrade to “pleasantries at egress”. If they did offer it, and you paid, then you’d have a case. Just move on. Maybe make some friends at United by getting to know them and showing pictures of your kids, etc. if it really means that much to you.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Since you say you moved to the US in 2011, my guess is that you are somehow giving unconsciouss signals that you don't want to talk. I don't know what kind of signals they might be but our demeanor and behavior often comes from our cultures and upbringing. I'm an Asian-American male, born and raised here,and in 40+ years of flying, I've never encountered what you say you observe.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Is

Originally Posted by UNDLAC
This is an awkward topic that I don't discuss with people in real life, but it's been bothering me a lot recently:

...I've been flying at least 80 UA segments every year since 2016, and this has been true 9/10 times especially on short-haul domestic flights. Nowadays, I'd be surprised whenever the crew would proactively look at me and say "Thank you" or a simple "Bye" when I walk off the plane. Most commonly, the FA standing at the door would "conveniently" look away when I'm the one walking towards them and then off the plane. I always make sure to say thanks and goodbye, and it's a 50/50 chance they'd turn their head and respond...
Since you state this behavior happens especially on short haul domestic flights it makes me wonder a couple things.

Are you flying a subsidiary like Skywest or some such? If so one would think you’d get to know the crews since you fly short haul segments presumably on small aircraft that they should know you and your habits. Including deplaning. So I wonder how they’re reading your body language.

My husband is Asian, and like you taller/bigger than average.

I haven’t noticed this behavior and with him deplaning is getting off as fast as possible to get up and out. I don’t think he even notices the crew as he leaves.

Last edited by Bear4Asian; Sep 15, 2019 at 11:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.