Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
I am not an Asian. And I can't say FAs tell me goodbye systematically.

But you know what is almost systematic? When I say hellonin Chinese to a Chinese FA, especially on a Chinese airline, 99% of the time they answer in English.

Because, you know, we not Asian cannot possibly speak Chinese.

Sorry but this laowai does. Often better than their own English. And English ain't my primary language anyway.

Systematically I have to explain to them, I am taking the time to address myself in your language because, yes, I KNOW Chinese.

So, I guess I am coming from an angle similar to yours. People judge on the color of your skin. But this is definitely not limited to whites, Westerners, etc.

Now, surprinsingly, when I speak Japanese - which I do a lot less than Chinese - FAs answer to me in Japanese about 50% of the time. Not sure what this is all about.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by skidooman
But you know what is almost systematic? When I say hellonin Chinese to a Chinese FA, especially on a Chinese airline, 99% of the time they answer in English.
I do not recall having encountered that experience in Vietnam, not a single time. My Thai is weak at best, but I can greet the FAs well enough & they always reciprocate in Thai.

I rarely pay attention to what FAs say when exiting a plane though I do pass on compliments if it was a good flight.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UNDLAC
This is an awkward topic that I don't discuss with people in real life, but it's been bothering me a lot recently:

As an Asian passenger, why do UA FAs and pilots almost never proactively say goodbye to me when I'm getting off the plane, which from my observation differs from the standard etiquette between the UA FAs and non-Asian passengers around me?

I've been flying at least 80 UA segments every year since 2016, and this has been true 9/10 times especially on short-haul domestic flights. Nowadays, I'd be surprised whenever the crew would proactively look at me and say "Thank you" or a simple "Bye" when I walk off the plane. Most commonly, the FA standing at the door would "conveniently" look away when I'm the one walking towards them and then off the plane. I always make sure to say thanks and goodbye, and it's a 50/50 chance they'd turn their head and respond.

This only stands out when I'm deplaning. I don't feel that I'm treated differently by the ground agents when boarding or FAs in-flight. My experiences on long-haul international flights are also very consistent, with FAs always thanking me when deplaning.

I moved to the U.S. in 2011 and have been flying UA regularly. I actually got an op-up on my very first CO flight from PEK to EWR. Now, I understand with its strong network to East Asia, UA crews probably run into many Asian passengers who don't speak much English. However in my experience, DL FAs (I did 70 DTW-BOS segments in 2018) would always thank and say goodbye to me. Also in my opinion, assuming the passenger doesn't speak English is not a very good reason to ignore them.

This is really a small thing, but with how frequently I get ignored it's been bothering me a lot recently. Putting ethnicity aside, I don't think I look intimidating enough (I'm 6'1 and probably bigger than an average guy from Asia, and honestly I'd rather have this be the actual reason I'm being ignored ) for almost all FAs to look away when I deplane, so I wonder for other Asian passengers if this has been your experience as well?

Edit: I'd like to appreciate everyone's replies here, as this is a topic I never have the courage to discuss in real life and it really isn't a huge deal to me on a personal level. Based on people's input, I conclude that -

1. Not everyone gets a goodbye at the end of a UA flight, regardless of ethnicity. This makes sense and does not indicate bad service at all, although my speculation is that, in comparison, DL may have specifically trained their crew to include a "friendly goodbye" for everyone, which when I fly a lot I do start to notice and appreciate DL's approach. Also, I forgot to mention originally - I do usually get a "Hello" (if I'm not the one who first smile & greet the FAs) on a UA flight when boarding if the FA is not busy, which partially sparked the confusion after being frequently ignored when deplaning in comparison to travelers around me.

2. On a broader-level, some fellow travelers of Asian background do notice subtle inconsistencies in services received by the UA staff. I wouldn't call this racism (or sexism as some replies mentioned) in a sense that the UA staff is intentionally providing bad service to Asians, but based on anecdotes (including mine), being treated differently outside of the standard services routine on a UA flight does seem to be potentially driven by ethnicity (or gender) bias. E.g., Asian face means most likely a traveler from Asia who doesn't speak English, so why bother saying "thank you" or repeat the question. There is no way to confirm this, and of course there could be many other factors, but I think the best I can do is to always assume the best intention and proactively respond with the same level of politeness.

I'd also like to again clarify that when flying in the U.S., I make my best effort to treat all staff with respect that aligns with my understanding of American etiquette (proactively smile, make eye contact & say thank you - in fact people usually assume I'm American until to be told otherwise). I do feel that I generally receive good service from UA whenever I get to properly communicate with the FAs and staff, however at this point it's very hard for me to believe that almost always being ignored when deplaning has absolutely nothing to do with some sort of bias based on my appearance and/or characteristics. However, being constantly ignored would not change how I behave when interacting with the UA staff at all. I will continue to respond to good service with my best self and hopefully change this subconscious bias, if there is any.

By the way, if there's anyone YVR-based: Are there any UA frequent fliers? I'm so excited to be moving to your fine city next year!!
Chinese, 5’10 and 225. 53 years young. Never experienced anything like this. Flew out of SFO regularly, but having moved to Portland, now fly out of PDX. Usually fly Z fares, but still have not encountered this. But I always try to say “howdy” first when boarding a flight.

Last edited by ekwang; Sep 21, 2019 at 9:03 am
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ekwang
Chinese, 5’10 and 225. 53 years young. Never experienced anything like this. Flew out of SFO regularly, but having moved to Portland, now fly out of PDX. Usually fly Z fares, but still have not encountered this. But I always try to say “howdy” first when boarding a flight.
Howdy would be a Texas thing. Do you say it with a proper Texas accent?
ekwang likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Howdy would be a Texas thing. Do you say it with a proper Texas accent?
I use howdy fairly regularly, and have never lived in Texas.
ekwang likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by ekwang
But I always try to say “howdy” first when boarding a flight.
Is that with or without a cowboy hat?

BTW, I believe OP had the issue LEAVING the plane, not entering it.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by narvik

And with or without sitting on a mechanical bull?
narvik likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I use howdy fairly regularly, and have never lived in Texas.
I live in Texas and wouldn't be caught dead saying that ; )
ekwang likes this.

Last edited by chavala; Sep 20, 2019 at 10:21 am Reason: adding winky before someone decides to be offended!
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik

Correct. Was just saying that I greet them when I board and s
deplane. Not sure if the proactive greeting at boarding has anything to do with my good fortune or not.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sevastras
I am white and have noticed that there are a good portion of flights that I take(mostly DL) that nothing is said to me until after I initiate. I always say thank you as I leave and have a good day/night. I spend most flights in J, but I always attribute it to me looking like I am 20. I feel as though not too long ago, it was common practice for whoever was standing there to say bye to each passenger.
I am a white female who has always looked young. At age 23 I was quite late and rushing to my seat in the exit row when I was asked by the FA if I was at least 15 years old. I was wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase so wasn't expecting that question. :-)

Now in my later 40s I am routinely referred to by airport personnel as "young lady", "dear", and "sweetie" (the latter two when flying United yesterday). Interestingly I noticed in my 30s, when I looked more like early 20s, that I was treated well on United and not as well on Continental. It seems that many people make a snap judgment about you based on certain physical characteristics and it does color interactions.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by skidooman
I am not an Asian. And I can't say FAs tell me goodbye systematically.

Because, you know, we not Asian cannot possibly speak Chinese.

Sorry but this laowai does. Often better than their own English. And English ain't my primary language anyway.

Systematically I have to explain to them, I am taking the time to address myself in your language because, yes, I KNOW Chinese.

So, I guess I am coming from an angle similar to yours. People judge on the color of your skin. But this is definitely not limited to whites, Westerners, etc.

Now, surprinsingly, when I speak Japanese - which I do a lot less than Chinese - FAs answer to me in Japanese about 50% of the time. Not sure what this is all about.
I get this in Taiwan all the time - I chock it up to Taiwanese wanting to practice English with a foreigner, so I just let them talk to me in English while I speak to them in Mandarin, a nice role-reversal. I've asked BR FAs to only speak to me in Mandarin and they obliged, although they were initially surprised. Ironically, the counter lady at 99 Ranch Market today in SoCal had no problem conversing with me in Mandarin while I was hunting for some products without an English name.

I don't get the whole doorway greeting thing anyway - it's not like we're at a wedding reception, and it just feels forced.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't get the whole doorway greeting thing anyway - it's not like we're at a wedding reception, and it just feels forced.
I actually think it is important as it can help speed up boarding (directing passengers to the right way), the FAs can get an idea who is onboard and the makes the passenger feel welcomed.

It seems UA requires an FA to be at the door and I bet its purpose is not to make the customer feel welcomed - probably has logistical and safety reasons behind it, right?
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:07 am

FAs looking for drunks?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen

Agreed - I find the whole "goodbye" thing pointless - but I get why they do it.

While it is of little consequence to me whether they want to greet me or not I understand where the OP is coming from - many people do not like being treated differently than others for seemingly no reason.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Thumbs up

Maybe there are many FAs monitoring this board (and this thread). For the past few flights, I have had FA's look me square in the eye thanking me for flying United.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.