Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Treated Differently as an Asian Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see any different treatment by UA when boarding/deplaning. UA is just bad with the greeting / thanking. I tend to thank the FAs when I get off the plane (unless I am dissatisfied with the service). UA FAs a lot of the time would say "You are welcome" but in my mind the proper response would be thanking me back for being a customer, which very few FAs do.

I did get something I really did not like on UA once. The FA was doing her exit row briefing. The person next to me did not verbally respond. I was waiting for that when the FA already moved onto me. When I hesitated (since the person next to me has not responded as required), the FA said "Do you understand English?". I of course responded by pointing out what has happened.

UA actually has a Diversity group which is supposed to make sure things like this do not happen.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by username
UA FAs a lot of the time would say "You are welcome" but in my mind the proper response would be thanking me back for being a customer, which very few FAs do.
Quite curious. Haven't noticed it, but haven't really paid attention. Must check this on future flights.

Originally Posted by username
UA actually has a Diversity group which is supposed to make sure things like this do not happen.
They DO??? Sometimes I wonder!

I lost count of how many times a UA FA who doesn't speak Chinese would signal to a Chinese speaking FA and say, LOUDLY: "Hey [insert first name], can you come over here? This one here can't understand what I'm saying!"...or something like that.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of us know that racism still exists in America, as in most parts of the world. In addition to the one I described which was definitely race based, I certainly have observed suspect racist behavior by FAs but I just don't see it boarding/deplaning.

In the service industry, you do want to size-up your customer somehow. The trick is to not treat the customer worse because of one's inherent bias.
Santander likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I also have the experience where FAs usually say hello when boarding, and rarely goodbye or thanks when deplaning. However, I am aware that many people think I come across rather cold (but not rude), so I would prefer to think the FAs assessed during the course of our interactions that I would rather be left alone rather than racism. (which makes sense, since I feel I've observed this more since I started flying mostly in J where there is a bit more interaction)
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
This is why our world is so PC now. Who cares, move on with your life.

When the gas station attendant says "have a good one," instead of "have a nice day!" I don't get upset over it. I move on with my life because I have bigger issues to worry about.
This comment is completely unhelpful and irrelevant to the original post.

EDITED TO ADD: The cognitive and emotional contortions people put themselves through to deny the existence of systemic racism, bias (of varying degrees of consciousness), and the microaggressions is remarkable.
vaguba likes this.

Last edited by physioprof; Sep 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm Reason: Read Through More Responses
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by physioprof
This comment is completely unhelpful and irrelevant to the original post.

EDITED TO ADD: The cognitive and emotional contortions people put themselves through to deny the existence of systemic racism, bias (of varying degrees of consciousness), and the microaggressions is remarkable.
Actually it is completely relevant. People have nothing else better to do than overthink things these days, and apparently everyone must listen and be a therapist.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Actually it is completely relevant. People have nothing else better to do than overthink things these days, and apparently everyone must listen and be a therapist.
This comment, too, is completely unhelpful and irrelevant to the original post, or anything that has been posted since then. This is the UA forum, and the topic of this thread is the experience of the original poster and other people's related experiences on UA flights, whether similar or different. Whether people in general are "too PC", "have nothing better to do than overthink things these days", or unduly expect others to "listen and be a therapist" is completely off-topic and irrelevant to the discussion.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by physioprof
This comment, too, is completely unhelpful and irrelevant to the original post, or anything that has been posted since then. This is the UA forum, and the topic of this thread is the experience of the original poster and other people's related experiences on UA flights, whether similar or different. Whether people in general are "too PC", "have nothing better to do than overthink things these days", or unduly expect others to "listen and be a therapist" is completely off-topic and irrelevant to the discussion.
Apparently you didn't read the original post. May want to read it again.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

This obviously is a topic with ramifications much broader than the UA forum. This can easily turn into a topic about greater societal issues, but that is not the focus of this forum. Let's try to stay within the context the OP framed -- the interaction with crew on exiting the aircraft. If we can not stay within those boundaries or if the community does not feel that's a reasonable option, this thread may need to go to a different forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I’m Asian and I’ve never had this happen, but maybe because I ALWAYS say goodbye and thank you as I leave the plane.

Guess what, they always say goodbye back!
Aussienarelle and new_places like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I’m Asian and I’ve never had this happen, but maybe because I ALWAYS say goodbye and thank you as I leave the plane.

Guess what, they always say goodbye back!
ditto.
My question is whether the OP or anyone else bothers to look the attendants in the eye, and to initiate the thanks, greetings or bids of goodbye to them. Why or why not? For me, I initiate the thanks, greetings and farewells because that's part of me, and I believe the crew deserves to be treated with the highest respect.

And what the heck does Asian mean? South Asian, East Asian, what?

What I have noticed as an East Asian is going through customs in East Africa these days. Considering what China has done to the port logistics of countries like Kenya, I noticed that Kenya will severely go through everybody's luggage to tax things, unless they appear East Asian... hm.
new_places likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
My question is whether the OP or anyone else bothers to look the attendants in the eye, and to initiate the thanks, greetings or bids of goodbye to them.
Answered by OP in post number 29:

Originally Posted by UNDLAC
To clarify, when deplaning I always look at the FAs and say thank you & goodbye with a smile regardless if they ignore me or not.

Also, several references to not getting the same treatment on AA (better) vs. UA (worse) with exact same deplaning behavior.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I wish I could get them to stop
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Really? Why?
'Cause it's just unnecessary chatter. I get why they do it (QED: this thread) but I sill just find "boilerplate pleasantries" a waste of time.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I have never noticed any different behavior from a UA crew member due to race. In addition, I nearly always get a "thank you" when I leave. Obviously if a line of people are quickly leaving, I don't expect the FA to stop each person to say thank you.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
At least half the time on United Express flights the FAs don't say anything to me even when I make eye contact and say bye. I'm white.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.