Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador

I'm trying to booking flights with SQ 21/22 SIN-EWR in the itinerary through united.com but the booking engine just won't show any direct SIN-EWR or vv. flights. Have to do this over the phone (agents will see the flights). Does anyone know why?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kittiyut
Does anyone know why?
UA would prefer to sell you a seat on their own flights (through SFO/LAX) or joint venture flights (through EWR) than sell a competitor's flight.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Intentional? Accidental? With UA IT you never really know.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mduell
Intentional? Accidental? With UA IT you never really know.
Probably intentional. I don’t see SQ’s JFK-FRA flight available on UA’s website either.
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If UA is even able to book it on 016 stock, note it will likely be a full fare ticket - SQ is one of the carriers that only allows discount fares to be booked on their own stock. If you’re expecting to get PQD on the lowest SQ fares, prepare to be disappointed.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Taking a look at SQ SIN-EWR D fare and the fare rules say:
Code:
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON SQ OR MI AND MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN
SIN/JHB
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It really has very little to do with UA. It's SQ's plating restrictions. You'll have to buy a full C fare to ticket this through UA. That's going to be awfully expensive.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Airline website is not public travel booking engine website. It does not work like Expedia, Kayak, Orbitz etc.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It really has very little to do with UA. It's SQ's plating restrictions. You'll have to buy a full C fare to ticket this through UA. That's going to be awfully expensive.
UA could show the flights at full-fare. They elect not to do so, presumably for competitive reasons in this case. In other, more complicated cases, I'd think search engine incompetence, but when flights aren't showing up on a simple one-way/round-trip search (as opposed to part of a complicated multi-city itinerary), it's because UA has chosen not to display them.
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA could show the flights at full-fare. They elect not to do so, presumably for competitive reasons in this case. In other, more complicated cases, I'd think search engine incompetence, but when flights aren't showing up on a simple one-way/round-trip search (as opposed to part of a complicated multi-city itinerary), it's because UA has chosen not to display them.
Perhaps, but my experience is there are very limited circumstances where UA will show *A flights that aren't codeshared, and usually, they will only show *A flights that as the UA #. Not always, but usually. I've definitely seen limited amounts of LH flights show up as native LH flight numbers, even when they do have a codeshare number, but again, usually will only show as the UA codeshare and not native. Sometimes I've called to get an agent to book a AC-UA connection, for example, with the AC number vs. the UA codeshare it shows on the web. And obviously, connections on non-partner carriers - CX, JetStar, etc. are booked as their native flight numbers.

There used to be a workaround on flights where award space was available, as before checkout, there used to be a place where it would suggest to buy in cash instead if you wanted. That went away a couple of years ago, maybe, when UA started showing the bundles just before checkout.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:26 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Tried this recently and failed. Even with a feeder flight on UA at the beginning of the itinerary. Tried web, phone, and TA.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
RE-launched SQ direct flight from EWR

does anyone know when UA is going to offer the codeshare flight for the relaunched SQ direct flight from EWR to Singapore in October? I’m searching on UA flight search and it is not showing it. The pricing for the SQ direct on the Singapore Airlines website is significantly cheaper vs the connections on UA site. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
SQ generally has plating restrictions and few codeshares with UA, so you may be waiting for a long time.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by raiachat
does anyone know when UA is going to offer the codeshare flight for the relaunched SQ direct flight from EWR to Singapore in October?
"Never" would be my guess.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: '19 Global Services, 1.9m+ lifetime CO miles
Well that’s a bummer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.