FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1963401-possible-get-singapore-airlines-sq-flight-016-stock.html)

kittiyut Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

I'm trying to booking flights with SQ 21/22 SIN-EWR in the itinerary through united.com but the booking engine just won't show any direct SIN-EWR or vv. flights. Have to do this over the phone (agents will see the flights). Does anyone know why?

jsloan Aug 16, 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by kittiyut (Post 30089714)
Does anyone know why?

UA would prefer to sell you a seat on their own flights (through SFO/LAX) or joint venture flights (through EWR) than sell a competitor's flight.

mduell Aug 16, 2018 10:38 am

Intentional? Accidental? With UA IT you never really know.

PsiFighter37 Aug 16, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 30089865)
Intentional? Accidental? With UA IT you never really know.

Probably intentional. I don’t see SQ’s JFK-FRA flight available on UA’s website either.

emcampbe Aug 16, 2018 11:15 am

If UA is even able to book it on 016 stock, note it will likely be a full fare ticket - SQ is one of the carriers that only allows discount fares to be booked on their own stock. If you’re expecting to get PQD on the lowest SQ fares, prepare to be disappointed.

hirohito888 Aug 16, 2018 11:54 am

Taking a look at SQ SIN-EWR D fare and the fare rules say:
Code:

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON SQ OR MI AND MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN
SIN/JHB

Kacee Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm

It really has very little to do with UA. It's SQ's plating restrictions. You'll have to buy a full C fare to ticket this through UA. That's going to be awfully expensive.

UA_Flyer Aug 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Airline website is not public travel booking engine website. It does not work like Expedia, Kayak, Orbitz etc.

jsloan Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30090279)
It really has very little to do with UA. It's SQ's plating restrictions. You'll have to buy a full C fare to ticket this through UA. That's going to be awfully expensive.

UA could show the flights at full-fare. They elect not to do so, presumably for competitive reasons in this case. In other, more complicated cases, I'd think search engine incompetence, but when flights aren't showing up on a simple one-way/round-trip search (as opposed to part of a complicated multi-city itinerary), it's because UA has chosen not to display them.

emcampbe Aug 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30090415)
UA could show the flights at full-fare. They elect not to do so, presumably for competitive reasons in this case. In other, more complicated cases, I'd think search engine incompetence, but when flights aren't showing up on a simple one-way/round-trip search (as opposed to part of a complicated multi-city itinerary), it's because UA has chosen not to display them.

Perhaps, but my experience is there are very limited circumstances where UA will show *A flights that aren't codeshared, and usually, they will only show *A flights that as the UA #. Not always, but usually. I've definitely seen limited amounts of LH flights show up as native LH flight numbers, even when they do have a codeshare number, but again, usually will only show as the UA codeshare and not native. Sometimes I've called to get an agent to book a AC-UA connection, for example, with the AC number vs. the UA codeshare it shows on the web. And obviously, connections on non-partner carriers - CX, JetStar, etc. are booked as their native flight numbers.

There used to be a workaround on flights where award space was available, as before checkout, there used to be a place where it would suggest to buy in cash instead if you wanted. That went away a couple of years ago, maybe, when UA started showing the bundles just before checkout.

Ted Aug 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Tried this recently and failed. Even with a feeder flight on UA at the beginning of the itinerary. Tried web, phone, and TA.

raiachat Sep 26, 2018 7:21 pm

RE-launched SQ direct flight from EWR

does anyone know when UA is going to offer the codeshare flight for the relaunched SQ direct flight from EWR to Singapore in October? I’m searching on UA flight search and it is not showing it. The pricing for the SQ direct on the Singapore Airlines website is significantly cheaper vs the connections on UA site. Any thoughts?

WineCountryUA Sep 26, 2018 7:25 pm

SQ generally has plating restrictions and few codeshares with UA, so you may be waiting for a long time.

Kacee Sep 26, 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by raiachat (Post 30250231)
does anyone know when UA is going to offer the codeshare flight for the relaunched SQ direct flight from EWR to Singapore in October?

"Never" would be my guess.

raiachat Sep 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Well that’s a bummer