Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
My corporate TA just happily plated RGN-SIN-EWR(SQ)-DCA(UA) on 016 stock this week for a mere $12k. Which I was fine with, because full fare is all that was left on the RGN-SIN-EWR segments anyway, and I quite like double-dipping with PPS value and UA miles.

Annoyingly, neither the UA or SQ websites would spit out that itinerary at all, regardless of ticket stock...
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Scifience
Annoyingly, neither the UA or SQ websites would spit out that itinerary at all, regardless of ticket stock...
I would never expect either carrier to offer that. UA's not going to offer the SQ flight SIN-EWR, and SQ's not going to offer the UA flight EWR-DCA. TA is the ONLY way you will ever get that plated, and it will require paying full fare.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:15 am
koi

SQ flights not available on UA booking site?

I'm trying to get a flight from LAX/SFO to SIN to finish my shangri-la / Krisflyer challenge, and since I have a sizable UA bank Travel Cash, I wanted to book it through UA booking site. but I'm having trouble finding SQ coded / operated flights. Does UA not sell SQ flights? Seems weird given they're on the same alliance
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:22 am

See Best options from NYC to SIN

You can probably do full fare SQ on United 016 ticket. But you won't find deep discount SQ fares on United.com.

They are same alliance but doesn't mean they want to sell tickets for the other - ANA is United's partner for CONUSA-USA and you can find NH deep discounted code shares on united.com, but that doesn't help you
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
The issues isn't UA -- it's SQ that will allow very few, if any, 016 tickets on SQ metal. You can sometimes get a regional SQ flight ticketed along with a UA flight -- but for long haul it is virtually impossible -- and if you do find a TA that can do it expect to pay even more than full fare for the pleasure!
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1. Those flights cannot be booked on UA ticket stock (except possibly at a full C fare for around $20,000)
2. And in any event, Travel Bank funds can only be used for UA or UA Express operated flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by koi
... Does UA not sell SQ flights? Seems weird given they're on the same alliance
SQ does not allow UA to sell (place on 016 ticket stock) many of its flights. UA has access to codeshare of SQ or full fare flights and a few others. This is called plating restrictions. SQ is not the only but one of the more aggressive in doing this.

And TB funds can only be used on UA operated itins. Would have to convert to FFC to do that.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koi
Seems weird given they're on the same alliance
Alliances are merely about marketing cooperation. UA and SQ compete for TPAC customers. UA has no interest in selling you a ticket on SQ on a route where they compete.
TerryK, SPN Lifer and hirohito888 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by koi
Does UA not sell SQ flights? Seems weird given they're on the same alliance
Not sure why you would find that weird. I mean, you can't even buy Scoot tickets from SQ, and they're owned by SQ.
TerryK likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
****I have no expierence in this with SQ****

So I am asking this so OP knows to check and ask themselves....

Does a SQ challenge (like UA's) require the tickets for a challenge be purchased direct from SQ (rather then OA or TA)?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
... Does a SQ challenge (like UA's) require the tickets for a challenge be purchased direct from SQ (rather then OA or TA)?
UA does not require this but will only count UA operated flights credited to UA MP

Originally Posted by jsloan
Alliances are merely about marketing cooperation. UA and SQ compete for TPAC customers. UA has no interest in selling you a ticket on SQ on a route where they compete.
Especially when SQ restricts UA to a few flights or just full fares

Some hope for the future, for non-competitive intra-asian flights at least
SQ / SIA signs MOU with United Airlines (Adding 19 new codeshares)
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 5, 2022 at 12:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 30, 2022, 4:44 pm

Booking SQ via United

Hey Folks:

I'm checking out options to get from BOS to SIN. UA.com is forcing me on UA metal via SFO at a round trip price close to $15K.

I know SQ flies direct EWR-SIN so have found a good options with BOS-EWR on UA. Question is, if I call the 1K line will UA book and ticket an itinerary BOS-EWR-SIN-EWR-BOS where BOS-EWR is on UA and EWR-SIN is on SQ? Or do the "overwater" segments need to be on UA as well?

I tried booking the same via singaporeairlines.com and it's weird because they won't show me options on UA. They will force EWR-BOS to be on B6.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA can book you on SQ, but you may not like the fare. SQ requires their cheaper fares generally book on their own ticket stock.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:07 pm

Well UA is nearly $15K so anything is cheaper!
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Hey Folks:

I'm checking out options to get from BOS to SIN. UA.com is forcing me on UA metal via SFO at a round trip price close to $15K.

I know SQ flies direct EWR-SIN so have found a good options with BOS-EWR on UA. Question is, if I call the 1K line will UA book and ticket an itinerary BOS-EWR-SIN-EWR-BOS where BOS-EWR is on UA and EWR-SIN is on SQ? Or do the "overwater" segments need to be on UA as well?

I tried booking the same via singaporeairlines.com and it's weird because they won't show me options on UA. They will force EWR-BOS to be on B6.
Because SQ and UA do not codeshare on the BOS and EWR route. SQ and UA don't play well with each other despite being in the same alliance.

SQ codeshares with AS and B6 more than with UA on US routes. Here is a middle finger from SQ to UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.