Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: UA GS
Purchase EWR-SIN on SQ from UA?

Hi Folks,
I did some searching but couldn't find the answer to my question. I would like to purchase the SQ direct flight from EWR-SIN preferably from UA for miles reasons. I cannot seem to get the website to display this flight for me. I presume it's because they want me to fly on UA metal then connect somewhere. Is there anyway to get UA to issue me a ticket on the SQ flight? Maybe if I call?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Don't think it is possible to get this route on 016 (UA) tickets operated by SQ metal.

Assume you want to get qualifying dollars for UA status? You can continue to earn miles (both qualifying and redeemable) even on partner tickets.

​​​​​
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
UA apparently won't issue tickets on their ticket stock that do not include UA flights any longer. They used to do this but lots of reports of them no longer doing it, even for their JV partners like LH group. If you put at least one of the TransPacs as the UA SIN-SFO flight then you stand a better chance.

-RM
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
UA apparently won't issue tickets on their ticket stock that do not include UA flights any longer. They used to do this but lots of reports of them no longer doing it, even for their JV partners like LH group. If you put at least one of the TransPacs as the UA SIN-SFO flight then you stand a better chance.

-RM
OP wants to fly in SQ metal, but ticket on UA. A route like EWR to SFO to SIN or vv would force you to get separate tickets - guess which segment cannot be plated on 016 tickets?

Generally speaking, SQ and UA do not get along well, on variety of levels.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Repooc17
OP wants to fly in SQ metal, but ticket on UA. A route like EWR to SFO to SIN or vv would force you to get separate tickets - guess which segment cannot be plated on 016 tickets?

Generally speaking, SQ and UA do not get along well, on variety of levels.
Thanks. I know what OP wants. That's why I said they would need to plate at least some UA flights on the ticket before UA even issues it. Possibly UA (EWR-SFO) - SQ (SFO-SIN) would work. But I imagine UA wants SFO-SIN also on UA metal at least one direction before they ticket it. It's also possible UA wants to be the "major" carrier on the ticket so EWR-SFO-SIN and SFO-EWR on UA while SIN-SFO is on SQ could work. But either way this is going to be hard or next to impossible to get UA to ticket it without flying UA metal for the major sectors.

-RM
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Theoretically, assuming UA and SQ have an interline ticketing agreeement, and they should, UA can do it. You definitely won’t find it online, but maybe a phone agent.

Another problem you might run into is getting the fare you want. Don’t know exactly the cabin SQ flies there, but I presume it’s the ULH aircraft with premium economy as the lowest class, and you’re likely going to run into a plating restriction on anything other than full fare. Fine if you want to pay a full PY fare, but SQ likely restricts anything else to be issued on SQ stock. That issue goes across many carriers, particularly in Asia, but has nothing to do with UA. On a route like that, I’d expect the potential difference from lowest available to full fare to be a minimum of hundreds of dollars, but more likely a 4 digit difference. Highly doubt it’s worth that for mileage purposes.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Playing around with matrix I could find Y fares that would combine with the SQ tpacs but none that would allow plating on OAL's. I believe this is an exercise in futility for the OP based on SQ's plating restrictions.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I know what OP wants. That's why I said they would need to plate at least some UA flights on the ticket before UA even issues it. Possibly UA (EWR-SFO) - SQ (SFO-SIN) would work. But I imagine UA wants SFO-SIN also on UA metal at least one direction before they ticket it. It's also possible UA wants to be the "major" carrier on the ticket so EWR-SFO-SIN and SFO-EWR on UA while SIN-SFO is on SQ could work. But either way this is going to be hard or next to impossible to get UA to ticket it without flying UA metal for the major sectors.

-RM
You cannot plate TPAC segment operated by SQ on UA. Not possible even with UA TCON as origin segment.

You can, however, put AS and SQ together on one ticket on this route.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
It depends upon the origin city whether or not you can get a decent fare. SQ seems to prefer routing people through other connections and saving the seats on the nonstop for O/D passengers.

SQ will also allow you to route on B6 in some cases.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA apparently won't issue tickets on their ticket stock that do not include UA flights any longer. \
That's absolutely false.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qwicker
..........Is there anyway to get UA to issue me a ticket on the SQ flight? Maybe if I call?
If you call enough times, you can find an UA agent willing to ticket SQ only flights on 016 ticket stock. As pointed out by other FTers, SQ requires all discount fares to be plated on SQ/MI stock. You cannot even plate J/D fares on 016. Looks like the lowest you can plate on 016 are some F/C fares. The upside is that you will receive $10K+ in PQDs for one trip.
droopydog, nnn, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You cannot plate TPAC segment operated by SQ on UA. Not possible even with UA TCON as origin segment.

yes, but the same plating restrictions apply at least for the fares I looked up out of EWR:

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON SQ OR MI AND MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1 TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED BY ELECTRONIC TICKETING.

Even though it allows connections from Area 1 to it's tpac from B6, UA, AS, CM, AM, AV.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold

-RM
How about this one? It even includes an SQ flight.
droopydog likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
How about this one? It even includes an SQ flight...........
This is a LH/OS fare with a connecting flight operated by SQ. Of course, it is not subject to plating restriction of SQ fares.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TerryK
This is a LH/OS fare with a connecting flight operated by SQ. Of course, it is not subject to plating restriction of SQ fares.
I think fatlasercat's point was the itinerary contains no UA segments but is being offered on united.com.

It's pretty easy to find such examples, though this is a particularly interesting one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.