Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think fatlasercat's point was the itinerary contains no UA segments but is being offered on united.com.
If you search between regions where UA doesn't operate any flights, they will offer you flights on other airlines, on those airlines' native codes. If you search regions where UA does operate flights, you won't get any results that don't include at least one UA code.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you search between regions where UA doesn't operate any flights, they will offer you flights on other airlines, on those airlines' native codes. If you search regions where UA does operate flights, you won't get any results that don't include at least one UA code.
Sure, but a poster above claimed that UA won't ticket itineraries that don't contain UA operated segments. That's simply not true.

You can also force itineraries which include TATLs using google flights. And there have been plenty of reports of the ability to call to book, for example, LH operated and coded itineraries in PE.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
I think fatlasercat's point was the itinerary contains no UA segments but is being offered on united.com.
Yes, that was my point exactly. But that raises the point of what exactly is UA policy regarding issuing a ticket with no/few UA flights. Is it case by case or they have explicit rules. It would seem that defining the rules would be tricky given many borderline cases. E.g. if you call UA how will the agent decide to do it or not?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Yes, that was my point exactly. But that raises the point of what exactly is UA policy regarding issuing a ticket with no/few UA flights. Is it case by case or they have explicit rules. It would seem that defining the rules would be tricky given many borderline cases. E.g. if you call UA how will the agent decide to do it or not?
I would not expect a UA phone agent ever to ticket a (non-award) flight with no UA segments, except possibly in those cases where they come up as such as United.com. There have been few reports of success and many reports of refusal.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Sure, but a poster above claimed that UA won't ticket itineraries that don't contain UA operated segments. That's simply not true.

You can also force itineraries which include TATLs using google flights. And there have been plenty of reports of the ability to call to book, for example, LH operated and coded itineraries in PE.
And those likely fall under UA's JV with LH, so of course UA would ticket those since they share in the revenue.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:35 pm

I did a little searching and I cannot find anything recent, however, I am looking to book LAX - SIN direct, however, on 016 stock so that PQDs apply.

I called in and was told it could not be done. The only way possible would be flying at least one segment on United metal. Not sure if anyone else has had a different result? ua.com obviously doesn't show this as an option.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No, it's basically not possible. UA doesn't want to sell you those flights (they want you to fly UA or NH) and SQ wouldn't allow UA to ticket it in any discount fare class. So even if you could get a travel agent to do it, you would have to book a full Y or C fare.
joder likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:59 pm

No, it's basically not possible. UA doesn't want to sell you those flights (they want you to fly UA or NH) and SQ wouldn't allow UA to ticket it in any discount fare class. So even if you could get a travel agent to do it, you would have to book a full Y or C fare.
Good to know, I figured that was the case. Thanks for the quick response. I wouldn't mind connecting and flying the UA hard product from SFO as the foot wells are nice and big on the UA 787 bulkhead compared to the SQ A350, however, I don't really want to arrive in Singapore at night and the prices are quite a bit higher than SQ. Time to keep on looking for other routing (looking to end up in Siem Reap).
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by joder
I wouldn't mind connecting and flying the UA hard product from SFO as the foot wells are nice and big on the UA 787 bulkhead compared to the SQ A350, however, I don't really want to arrive in Singapore at night and the prices are quite a bit higher than SQ. Time to keep on looking for other routing (looking to end up in Siem Reap).
UA has two dailies from SFO. UA1 is a morning arrival in Singapore. UA and SQ fares should be very similar, with UA possibly a bit cheaper.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
I did a little searching and I cannot find anything recent, however, I am looking to book LAX - SIN direct, however, on 016 stock so that PQDs apply.

I called in and was told it could not be done. The only way possible would be flying at least one segment on United metal. Not sure if anyone else has had a different result? ua.com obviously doesn't show this as an option.
FYI -

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/201...y-los-angeles/

Will you still be booking with UA now?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
You can book SQ flights on UA stock, but as other posters have mentioned, plating restrictions mean that you end up paying quite a bit more than the lowest available fare. I ended up doing this once when I needed the PQD, flexibility, and upgradability of an SQ Y fare on an SIN-BOM flight.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is definitely possible to ticket SQ full fare flights on UA 016 stock. It is just that you won't like the fare unless it is paid by OPM.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76

FYI -

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/201...y-los-angeles/

Will you still be booking with UA now?
Thanks, likely not as the price for Y and J are considerably cheaper than UA and it is direct. I'm just a bit worried about the dreaded foot wells on the A350 as I am 6' 2".
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, likely not as the price for Y and J are considerably cheaper than UA and it is direct. I'm just a bit worried about the dreaded foot wells on the A350 as I am 6' 2".
The SQ A350 is the least comfortable lie-flat business class seat I've ever flown. I really, really disliked it, and I'm only 6'0". It's great for sitting, but it's awful for sleeping.

The problem with flying UA on that route specifically is that LAX-SFO flights get delayed so frequently.

BTW: there's a difference between direct and non-stop. All non-stop flights are direct, but not all direct flights are non-stop. For example, SQ 11 is LAX-SIN direct service... with a stop in NRT.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA *G, Marriot Platinum
Booking on Singapore

I'm sure this is a newbie question, but I'm starting to plan a trip to Singapore and was interested in options for flying on SQ metal from LAX or SFO (origin airport is DEN). I'm not planning on booking the flights themselves using miles, but would be open to upgrade options where feasible. Also, would like to look at premium economy options, and UA hasn't yet retro-fitted the 787s on this route with PE seating.

When I search DEN - SIN on United, I only see options on United, and a few on ANA. No SQ. When I search on SQ (which I don't really want to do because I won't earn PQDs) the only options from DEN - SFO/LAX are on Delta or JetBlue. I'm assuming this might just be a case of UA/SQ not playing nicely. I could just book on UA the entire way, but think that the experience on a 17 hour flight would be better in SQ no matter the fare class. Any expert tips or tricks on booking on UA/SQ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.