Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to get Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight on 016 stock?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Well UA is nearly $15K so anything is cheaper!
You'd be surprised...

Originally Posted by Repooc17
SQ and UA don't play well with each other despite being in the same alliance.
SQ doesn't play well with anyone. They love to make up their own rules.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Because SQ and UA do not codeshare on the BOS and EWR route. SQ and UA don't play well with each other despite being in the same alliance.

SQ codeshares with AS and B6 more than with UA on US routes. Here is a middle finger from SQ to UA.
Why is it a middle finger? AS and B6 have lower yields than UA so probably have more seats to fill/charge SQ less for the code.its just economics.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:42 pm

OK thanks. Appreciate the info.

So assuming the price is ok, will UA be able to book and ticket this on 016?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

I'll make it clear for you -- unless you are willing to pay full fare Y or J you aren't going to be able to ticket this on UA -- they just don't play well together as others have pointed out -- and it's SQ that is the issue... If you want to fly SQ then you need to pay SQ....
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Probably not. SQ implements plating restrictions, which limit discount fares to SQ stock. This means that you cannot buy a discount flight operated by SQ on a 016 ticket.

One option is to buy BOS-EWR//EWR-BOS on one ticket and EWR-SIN//SIN-EWR on another ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
One option is to buy BOS-EWR//EWR-BOS on one ticket and EWR-SIN//SIN-EWR on another ticket.
Yes have considered that. Will do it if necessary, but much better to have it via 016 if I can.

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

"this" being BOS-EWR-SIN on UA and SQ, and plate on 016? Not going to happen because UA and SQ are not codesharing.

Why the need to plate on 016? Status?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
"this" being BOS-EWR-SIN on UA and SQ, and plate on 016? Not going to happen because UA and SQ are not codesharing.

Id guess flexibility could be a factor. Don’t know about SQ change options these days, but flexibility is probably better on UA (can cancel, get full value back without fee and have more flexibility to rebook if you are a frequent UA flyer) than SQ. Even if no fee, credit on SQ is probably less useful to those not frequently traveling to SE Asia or one of the other stops SQ has on its NA routes.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:07 am

In part status. Booking as SQ gives me a whopping 2500 PQP. Booking as UA would give me >$8000
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In part status. Booking as SQ gives me a whopping 2500 PQP. Booking as UA would give me >$8000
As already noted, there is no way to get SQ operated EWR-SIN on UA stock, except possibly by a T/A on a full J/F fare.

I credit my SQ long-haul to AS.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Rather than being too critical on SQ, we should try to differetiate the relationship between UA and SQ is strictly limited being in the same alliance.

UA's relationship with NH is a JV, so as LH, so those flights tend to show up on UA website because they share revenue.
Also UA.com is not a travel booking website like Kayak or Expedia, so not all star alliance flights show up on UA.com

Does UA and SQ relationshop need improvement? Absolutely!
Being a frequent SQ flyer and in its PPS program for the past ten years, I don't blame SQ for not playing well with UA, but I still think they will both benefit from each other with enhanced collaboration.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 9:05 am

I know Singapore Airliners and United have a codeshare but I can't find any singapore airlines flights on United.com to book with either cash or using my ETC. Can you help? Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2023, 10:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sam007
I know Singapore Airliners and United have a codeshare but I can't find any singapore airlines flights on United.com to book with either cash or using my ETC. Can you help? Thanks
SQ has plating restrictions that prevents UA from offering many paid SQ flights / fares. There are some short haul UA / SQ codeshares that can be booked. There is a bit more SQ award flights that can be book but even there SQ limits certain premium longhuals.

SQ / SIA signs MOU with United Airlines (Adding 19 new codeshares)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2023 at 10:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.