Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
These are US airline pilots. If this is even remotely true, and the training doesn't cover MCAS, then it should probably put to rest the claim that US pilots are trained better than international pilots and hence know how to operate the 73MAX.
Sounds bad, but only because the people reading it don't have the context of being 737 pilots.

The MAX is not significantly different than the NGs that it replaced. Cockpit displays are a lot better and convey more information in a better format. The weather radar is significantly better. The gear handle doesn't have an "OFF" position so you have to be careful that you don't try to put it in "OFF" after takeoff as you do in an NG. Then there are some behind the scenes changes that improve handling with full flaps (the NG would roll back and forth with flaps 40), help you land in the correct attitude (to prevent the nose gear from touching down first), and to maintain a consistent control feel with the NGs.

What has not changed is the runaway stabilizer procedure. That has existed since the first 737 rolled off the assembly line in the 1960s and in every airliner since the 1950s. The change is that there is an additional system which also has the capability to produce a runaway stabilizer situation if it activates when it shouldn't.

Back in 2012 I earned my B757/B767 type rating (for a different airline). All of my simulator training was in B767 simulators. In fact, all of my sim training was in a B767 simulator with GE (simulated) engines and a first generation FMS (flight management system). My checkride was in a B767 simulator with P&W (simulated) engines and Pegasus (3rd generation) FMS. When my checkride was fished I received type ratings for both the B767 and the B757. While the 757 and 767 cockpits are very similar, the airplanes have significant differences particularly in the hydraulic systems, steering system, flight controls, and equipment cooling. The handling characteristics during takeoff and landing are also quite different. Similarly, an A320 type rating qualifies a pilot on the A318, A319, A320, and A321. Short courses are available for A320 pilots to transition to the A330 or A340 with just a few days of training (an initial course lasts about 6 weeks). So, it really isn't unusual for a short differences course to gain qualifications on a new variant of the same type aircraft.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Thank you for sharing your amazing experience. But don't you think if you weren't told about a critical system that has the potential to bring down an aircraft, you would feel the need to be trained properly on it? I am in the cybersecurity space and it has been a proven fact that CBTs (Computer Based Training) is not as useful as to exposing an user to a real threat in a simulated environment and providing the appropriate education/guidance at the point of failure. Similarly, in this case, if MCAS could bring a plane down and completely hiding it from folks who fly it won't really help them - instead, it would hurt them, which, unfortunately, in this case, hurt 350+ souls. Having a self-guided training is good, but let the pilots get a feel of the actual system in action on a Sim.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If we look at this logically, requiring/expecting all possible safety improvements on every aircraft makes no sense. There needs to be some cost/benefit analysis of potential options, and different carriers could well evaluate this differently or have different needs and different flying patterns as well as realistically different levels and types of pilot training/experience/judgment. In the case of aircraft, weight is also an issue so that if something that marginally improves safety adds a lot of weight to the aircraft, adding the option might not be a wise decision. Let's not forget that airlines need to make money or at least not make consistent losses unless they're subsidized by some government or other entity.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
don't you think if you weren't told about a critical system that has the potential to bring down an aircraft, you would feel the need to be trained properly on it?
As a 737 pilot, I have learned quite a lot about the MCAS system since the Lion Air accident. That information has proven very helpful to me in engaging in conversations about the airplane and the two accidents but it doesn't help me fly the airplane. It hasn't changed how I would fly the airplane. It doesn't change how I would respond to a similar failure. That is what, IMO, people are missing.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If we look at this logically, requiring/expecting all possible safety improvements on every aircraft makes no sense. There needs to be some cost/benefit analysis of potential options, and different carriers could well evaluate this differently or have different needs and different flying patterns as well as realistically different levels and types of pilot training/experience/judgment.
I believe that you are referring to the AoA indicators and AoA Disagree indication.

Some airlines have a heads-up display (HUD) in their 737s. They use them for lower-than-standard takeoffs and landings, i.e. CAT II/III landings. Those are the airlines that have the AoA indicators/disagree options. I believe that the AoA indicators/disagree is REQUIRED in order to hand-fly CAT II/III landings with the HUD. (I'll update if I find out otherwise).

Other airlines use the autopilot's autoland function for CAT II/III landings. Those airlines do not have the AoA options because they don't conduct operations which require them.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by milepig
At this point, even if UAs birds are 100% safe and the pilots are perfectly trained, the optics that they chose to not pay something safety related are horrible and UA has some 'splainin to do.
If UA's management (the pilots have nothing to do with aircraft buying decisions) knew that that MCAS system was (a) on the plane, (b) was tied to only a single sensor, and did not have redundancy with the other sensor, then I think that they made a horrible decision and have a lot of explaining to do. My strong guess is that those buying the plane at United has no clue that Boeing would be so negligent as to have an automated system that was tied to only a single sensor, a sensor that had nearly caused other air-crashes, and as such no need for the extra warning/safety systems.

So yes, I agree the optics for UA are bad, but my guess is they knew as little about the MCAS system and how it worked as did the pilots, and can't fairly be faulted.

Originally Posted by MarkyMarc
$80K for AoA disagree indicator. Happened to catch this on CBS Morning News as I was walking out the door.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-...r-malfunction/
I just find this to be stunning. Given that the second AoA sensor is standard equipment, tying together the two sensors and using a processor to sourt out disagreements and display a warning, can't have cost more than $5K/plane, likely much less. Yet, Boeing was asking an airline like UA to pay an extra $12M. You can bet that Boeing gouging its customers for a "safety feature" that is only needed because of their own grossly negligent design is going to be exhibit 1 if any of the death cases ever go to trial. Really, really, really bad fact for Boeing.

Originally Posted by EWR764
AOA indicators are installed for procedural reasons, primarily where airlines conduct, as a matter of policy, manual approaches in instrument conditions (e.g., HUD-assisted CAT III approaches). In visual flying, or autoland approaches, it's of minimal utility, unless UA decides to start doing carrier landings. United's 737s don't have HUD either; does that make them unsafe, too?
You are missing the entire point. Yes, on the NG that was what the AoA indicators was for. But on the MAX Boeing tied a single AoA sensor to a system that would - unless the pilots figure out what the hell was going on - crash the plane as it overrode the pilots inputs, when as history shows they would, the AoA sensor had a bad reading. On the MAX this additional safety equipment was vital to address the flaw in Boeing's design of the MAX.

Again, I doubt that United (or any airline for that matter) knew how crappy of a design, and how dangerous of a design Boeing had for the MCAS system, a system designed to make up for flaws in the air-frames handling as Boeing over stretched the design, but a system - which was an "option" on the MAX, and a profit center for Boeing at $80K/plane - was vital on the MAX.

Last edited by spin88; Mar 22, 2019 at 5:40 pm
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by mduell
The FCC only uses the AOA sensor sensor on it's "side" (left or right) and FCC alternates per flight assuming you don't power down between them; MCAS slaves off the FCC side. To have MCAS reading both and comparing them would add additional complexity to at least MCAS and possibly the FCC.

Critical is a layman's term that does not sufficiently differentiate between several important levels; it is not a recognized design assurance level. MCAS is DAL C, Major: Failure is significant, but has a lesser impact than a Hazardous failure ... or significantly increases crew workload (safety related)
STS, which can also command electric trim changes, is also DAL C and on a single input sensor at any given time.
They could gold plate everything to DAL A, never finish development of the aircraft, and nobody could afford to buy it...

The design changes widely being armchair quarterbacked are tremendously more complex than the well known trim runaway procedure.
Is this not the whole point? This is a critical component, because 2 planes have literally crashed, killing hundreds of people.
How else do you define 'critical'?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:26 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
What is a good airplane from a customer or UA / Airline are different matters.

Yes UA cares about customer comfort and thinks like cabin space etc. etc. but never forget customers have voted with their $ mostly, cheapest and most convenient ticket to where they want to go dominates most passengers choice, not plane or carrer.

The 737-Max debacle will soon be forgotten

As an engineer it is clear the Max can fly safely in almost all conditions when things are reasonably okay given the number of planes and time it has already flown.
A terrible tragedy that at the corners of the envelope, call it a six sigma condition in combination with poorly trained crews and equipment failures and hidden software / automation intervention the crashes occured.

Flying has to be totally safe and understandable airlines will now noodle cancelling, its PR and business combined.

But look at the airlines, the short haul point to point business is exploding, the number of narrow body fuel efficient airplanes needed is crazy, just look at the backlog for the 320 NEO and 737-max are what > 3K and 5K respectively. Airlines that cancel will either stand back of the line at Airbus and likely pay more as Airbus knows what it's got, and wait even longer for deliver crimping the airlines revenue and growth and bottom line businesm

No in the end BA will have a huge egg on its face, get dragged thru the mud, stock will fall maybe even to the low 300s. The engineers there and software are working 7x24 and will produce a solution, the path is obvious
1) Triple redundance to the inputs to the software
2) Realtime indicators to the pilot
3) Sensible over-rides, maybe even more software to automatically suspend the software, LOL
4) Training and more training

I highly doubt any 737-max pilot doesn't now know what is happening when his plane climbs un-intentionally nor what to do, sadly how it became required knowledge is tragic and BA PR problem
BA will be on the hook for years and billions of in liability and class action, will have to compensate billions for the grounded airlines lost revenue, and by next year everything will be in the rear view mirror and hopefully a deep lesson for the AI/software engineers working on driverless cars!

NO UA will keep their order as most airlines and they will be extracting some serious $ out of BA, that is what I'd do for my business in their shoes!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:41 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Sounds bad, but only because the people reading it don't have the context of being 737 pilots.

The MAX is not significantly different than the NGs that it replaced. Cockpit displays are a lot better and convey more information in a better format. The weather radar is significantly better. The gear handle doesn't have an "OFF" position so you have to be careful that you don't try to put it in "OFF" after takeoff as you do in an NG. Then there are some behind the scenes changes that improve handling with full flaps (the NG would roll back and forth with flaps 40), help you land in the correct attitude (to prevent the nose gear from touching down first), and to maintain a consistent control feel with the NGs.

What has not changed is the runaway stabilizer procedure. That has existed since the first 737 rolled off the assembly line in the 1960s and in every airliner since the 1950s. The change is that there is an additional system which also has the capability to produce a runaway stabilizer situation if it activates when it shouldn't.

Back in 2012 I earned my B757/B767 type rating (for a different airline). All of my simulator training was in B767 simulators. In fact, all of my sim training was in a B767 simulator with GE (simulated) engines and a first generation FMS (flight management system). My checkride was in a B767 simulator with P&W (simulated) engines and Pegasus (3rd generation) FMS. When my checkride was fished I received type ratings for both the B767 and the B757. While the 757 and 767 cockpits are very similar, the airplanes have significant differences particularly in the hydraulic systems, steering system, flight controls, and equipment cooling. The handling characteristics during takeoff and landing are also quite different. Similarly, an A320 type rating qualifies a pilot on the A318, A319, A320, and A321. Short courses are available for A320 pilots to transition to the A330 or A340 with just a few days of training (an initial course lasts about 6 weeks). So, it really isn't unusual for a short differences course to gain qualifications on a new variant of the same type aircraft.
Simulation and real world crisis when you are at low altitude, end of flight envelope and real seconds away from what appears to be death is a far different thing then simulation flying at envelope corners in well staged extreme emergency states or standard flying conditions. Its the same reason many solders train for war and battle but in real battle the true performers and hero's are hard to predict as the mind and muscle in moments of stress are impossible to simulate. Thus why we all fee more comfortable with captains and pilots with thousands of hours in real seats and not simulators and training.

I've talked to a pilot friend who has flown all 737 for 7 years then 757, 767, 777 and now his new gig the 787 on UA his opinions BA and UA are frightening.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Garuda just canceled their entire order - while I'm no fan of Boeing right now after years of chanting "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going", I refuse to allow public hysteria to fuel these decisions. Much of our security theater is due to pandering to this kind of nonsense.

Garuda management, Lion air management, Ethiopian management, United management - these are all adults who wear big boy pants, and went through endless hours of cost benefit analysis with regard to all available systems, avionics and configuration options (thanks to the news, we only know of one - but there are others). I hope Boeing is able to force Garuda to either complete the order, or pay dearly for the cancelation - and to passengers who refuse to fly the MAX - at this point, with everything that is known, the aircraft is much safer given the laser focus on this design element.

Again, I am not being a Boeing cheerleader, I think their certification/ process was flawed, the FAA was complicit in permitting self certification which is total nonsense (what if Pfizer was allowed to self certify a new arthritis drug?), but the airlines were also complicit in not ensuring their crews were aware of the inherent risks with this system - ie, an online self-study guide without simulator time that calls out, among other potential issues, MCAS issue or runaway stab trim, come on, that is beyond ridiculous. That's like my having experience driving around a 50' RV and then "self-certifying I can drive a transport truck after watching a bunch of videos and CBT scenarios.

Either way, we must not allow an uninformed general public to sink an otherwise good aircraft due to hysteria.

Furthermore, if you think the 737MAX is potentially dangerous, just wait until you start digging around the various computer managed systems on an Airbus!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
And the MAX10 is the worst dog of them all, and its not even launched.
What characteristics would make the MAX10 "worst"?
And would that mean that the MAX9 is "worse" than the MAX8?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: 1K
I haven't seen this asked so far, but apologies if it has.

Why have MCAS operational during an initial climb? Both flights had issues within the first 2 minutes. How much risk of a stall is there during the climb while accelerating?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by BB2220
You know, the A32x family also had a lot of issues when it first came out. But most new airplanes do. The difference is we’re living in a hyper sensitive, quick judging world where information travels faster than ever before and outrage is considered noble, even if we are very uneducated about why we are outraged. Where one poorly written article by a journalist who has no real knowledge of the subject that there’re writing about gets repeated millions of times in the span of a few days and becomes the facts.
Or where two crashes of the same brand new model plane within five months, killing 300 people, simply exists as fact. @:-)
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by chipmaster
As an engineer it is clear the Max can fly safely in almost all conditions when things are reasonably okay given the number of planes and time it has already flown.
that statement is laughable. tell it to the 300+ who were killed because of poor engineering/design/approval
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
that statement is laughable. tell it to the 300+ who were killed because of poor engineering/design/approval
Sounds like a poor trained pilot, considering the amount of other pilots not having problems.,
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Or where two crashes of the same brand new model plane within five months, killing 300 people, simply exists as fact. @:-)
Also facts:

One carrier has had a history of maintenance and training issues which included a ban of flying into EU airspace.

The other had a pilot at the controls with less flight experience than a United Airlines Intern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.