Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1k
So, is the United 737Max less safe than AA because it is lacking these safety features? Or is it really true that for UA it's not necessary because their pilots have other systems in place that would detect a malfunction, and would know what to do?
After reading the NYT article just now, I am also surprised that AA (the most penny-pinching airline in the US), would install all the safety features and UA would not.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by augias84
So, is the United 737Max less safe than AA because it is lacking these safety features? Or is it really true that for UA it's not necessary because their pilots have other systems in place that would detect a malfunction, and would know what to do?
After reading the NYT article just now, I am also surprised that AA (the most penny-pinching airline in the US), would install all the safety features and UA would not.
Maybe they got discounts/ complimentary for the promise of a future large purchase? I am guessing it might be common in the airline market.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Back to the car analogy, do the pilots at UA have any say in which safety options are chosen?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Back to the car analogy, do the pilots at UA have any say in which safety options are chosen?
Their union has a pretty loud voice on safety issues.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by justatourist
Food for thought.
Everyone should read this post, as it (a) suggests that even on the "saved" lion Air flight the pilots got lucky, they did not diagnose the issue, and (b) the 737 pilot's response is very honest in admitting that these events don't just happen when everyone is quietly sitting listening to opera, and would be VERY hard to diagnose, let along fix, without a lot of elevation to work with. I will simply say what I have said several times upthread, in the 2010 LH A321 AoA trim issue, the pilots only managed to find/fix the issue because they had 30K to work with. Had they been at take-off, the results might well have been different. This just highlights how Boeing ought to - as part of a TS16949/DFMEA review - identify the issue, and have multiple redundancies to address it.

There is a lot of protective responses on this board that - they/us pilots, etc - would have easily diagnosed the problem. The hard truth is that a lot is going on, and diagnosing the problem on a 737 in particular, and then manually trying to fix the trim, appears to not be so easy.

Originally Posted by Bear96
But did it really present as runaway trim? Runaway trim presents itself as a constant, continuous increase or decrease in trim. Here it was intermittent. Sure at some point they may have figured out that cutting out the trim was the correct response, but I can see how it might not have been the first thing they thought about, and they didn't have the luxury of altitude to think about everything.

Of course now we have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight to see that the runaway trim procedure would have been the correct response, but I am not sure it is fair to say (at least for the Lion Air pilots) that they should have realized that right away.
A key point. Had this happened once, the "pilots should have figured it out" defense might work, but the hard truth is that two sets of pilots (one at a well respected airline, after getting Boeings "new" training, such as it was) did not figure out the issue in time. This is all on Boeing at the end of the day.

Originally Posted by Michael899
According to the same article, UA is the only US carrier that opted not to outfit its Maxes with at least one of the AOA alert features (AA has both). I wonder what "other data" UA pilots may be relying on that AA and SWA are not.
I'm going with a few extra cents into the value of each share of UAL, resulting in a few extra $$$ into the value of Jeff Smisik's stake in the airline...

Originally Posted by mduell
I'd guess airspeed and attitude, but that's just guessing.
Well then you would be guessing exactly what the Lion Air pilots were looking at, and freaked out about, as they tried to save the plane. So hopefully, UA was relying on more than that.....

Originally Posted by Bear96
Right. That is why I think it might be unfair to expect a pilot who thinks he may be experiencing unscheduled trim to immediately know to execute the runaway trim procedure.

Eventually he may decide to try that after nothing else is working (and here there was very little time to troubleshoot), but I would think there might be a bit of hesitation about the procedure not being the right one, or even making the situation worse, since it really isn't the procedure for what he appeared to be experiencing.
Hind sight-bias works in two ways. Here, knowing the problem, one would immediately cut off the system and do the hard physical work of moving the trim (described above by a 737 pilot), but that does not suggest that the failure mode was so easy to determine, particularly right after take off, and for a NEW system that Boeing did not train folks on.

again, this is 100% on Boeing.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
If the crew was focused on solving the problem that they were previously made aware of, did they fail with CRM (Crew Resource Management) by just being fixated on faulty readings? Additionally, not having enough airspace to work with, only complicated matters. They were fixated on not-crashing. Could they have reached out to their ops teams and asked for help? Or have the ops team reach out to the last crew? We will never know what could have gone through their mind before the crash.
But wouldn't a lot of these questions be answered by the cockpit voice recorder?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But wouldn't a lot of these questions be answered by the cockpit voice recorder?
Based on the initial data reported by the CVR, the pilots were frantically scrambling (given the low altitude). Seems like something they did not encounter in sim training and were trying to solve it on the fly.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is it correct that we have no data whatsoever from the October 28th incident beyond the brief report by the pilot in charge of that flight? The cockpit voice recorder would have been written over and the data recorder information not retained either, right? What about data from third party tracking and warning systems, such as that which was utilized for the missing MH flight? (Was there a reference to such data for the ET crash that formed part of the basis for Canadian and American authorities to finally ground the MAX?)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Newman55
That's something that is not unique to the 737Max, Boeing or to the aviation industry.

Many safety features in personal vehicles are options as well. I doubt many people demand every safety feature.
I haven't heard of a single four-door sedan ever killing 150 people in one fell swoop. @:-)

Airbus also has options for additional safety features. You think every airline in the world gets every safety feature available?
They should. If it enhances safety, especially in the critical phases of takeoff and/or landing, it ought to be mandatory on aircraft carrying hundreds of passengers.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Did someone tell United that the MCAS system only pays attention to one of two sensors and doesn't notice if their outputs don't match so that an indicator to the pilots is necessary?

Seems like the optional safety equipment is only really not optional because Boeing's system design sucks. A critical airline system reliant on ONE sensor?

Thought we learned our lesson after that Air France Airbus 330 broke up over the Atlantic because of Pitot tubes...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I haven't heard of a single four-door sedan ever killing 150 people in one fell swoop. @:-)
Never mind that cars kill people at a rate almost one thousand times higher than passenger aircraft, on a per passenger-mile basis.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Never mind that cars kill people at a rate almost one thousand times higher than passenger aircraft, on a per passenger-mile basis.
Ya, not apples and oranges, apples and asteroids

Let's stick to airplanes in this thread @:-)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Newman55
Many safety features in personal vehicles are options as well. I doubt many people demand every safety feature.
Yes, however when I purchase a car with a lack of said features, that's my choice. If I purchase a car without seatbelts, crash, get ejected, and die, I was well aware of the risk when I set off and opted to go ahead with it.

Conversely, we are talking about a form of mass transportation here wherein customers trust that the company and the agencies which regulate it have done what is reasonable to ensure their safety. And what is coming to light is that Boeing and a number of airlines have not done that and instead decided to save money by not fitting what are basically essential features. The question must be asked, why did Boeing even make this an option?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
No but there have been frequent auto accidents with 100% fatalities and there are still more people killed on the road than in airplanes every year. People have died because they weren't wearing their seatbelts but people have also died because of the way airbags triggered. Some of the people who died due to not wearing their seatbelts would still be alive anyway had they not been speeding/distracted/poorly trained/etc.

I am suspicious due to the confluence of circumstances but I'm going to disagree with those who emphatically state right now with the information presented on this board and through mainstream media sources that this is definitively 100% Boeing's fault. There's still a lot of information that we don't know yet.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by findark
Of course I mind that. I can walk and chew gum at the same time. @:-)

I certainly WON'T accept that 300 people dead in two crashes five months apart in the same brand new model of plane is somehow "acceptable losses."

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
No but there have been frequent auto accidents with 100% fatalities and there are still more people killed on the road than in airplanes every year.
I guarantee you that if 100 brand new 2020 Ford Unicorn cars suddenly ran into brick walls and killed their occupants on the same day, every single one of those cars would be impounded and not driven until Ford fixed the problem or took back the cars. That's the closest analogy we have between cars and planes, not the "hey, lots of people die in cars every day, so that makes plane crashes acceptable" ridiculous logic.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 21, 2019 at 7:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.