Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:42 am

So I'm a bit confused on the points to miles transfer, it says a 20% discount off the number of points, so does that mean it is still a 1:1 ratio but you can just transfer sooner? How picky are the transfers? (Can my dad transfer MR points to my UA or the other way around?)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TerryK
Great news! True enhancement.^

I hope UA Insider can clarify if MR Gold match is a one-time deal or is it annual, as long you remain UA Gold? MR Gold needs to be re-qualified every year.

EDIT: Found answer. It is a one-time match.

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...tusMatchTC.jsp
Wouldn't it be reasonable to expect a renewed match opportunity next year? The expiration date coincides with expiration of status on United, which makes sense if one requires United status to get Marriott status.

Presumably the T&C will be updated next year so that anyone who requalifies for Gold or above on UA will continue to get the status at Marriott.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Like many others, this enhancement is a negative for me. I am already Marriott Plat and United 1K, so the only thing is see is more crowds in the Marriott lounges. Now if we could "double dip" that would be nice.

On the negative side, this change could push me over to Hilton. I stay enough nights to be an elite in only one program, If I can now be Gold in Marriott because of my UA status, then I may stay fewer nights there and instead stay mote at Hilton to also achieve status there.

Does this make sense to any of you?

Last edited by FC ORD; Jul 15, 2013 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by aacharya
That date corresponds to the end of the Elite year for United. I'm sure if the relationship continues, they'll extend that date when it arrives.
I'm not so sure. Why wouldn't they use language referring to the time-table for matching "each year of the program" instead of the discrete 01/14 date? They could have said something like, "Marriott Reward Gold status will be valid through the end* of the member's Mileage Plus Premier Gold (or higher) status validity period."

(*Actually, Marriott statuses run until 02/28, so I am oversimplifying a bit.)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by FC ORD
Like many others, this enhancement is a negative for me. I am already Marriott Plat and United 1K, so the only thing is see is more crowds in the Marriott lounges. Now if we could "double dip" that would be nice.

On the negative side, this change could push me over to Hilton. I stay enough nights to be an elite in only one program, If I can now be Gold in Marriott because of my UA status, then I may stay fewer nights there and instead stay mote at Hilton to also achieve status there.

Does this make sense to any of you?

What about the 10% travel package adder? That is HUGE for me! ^
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
Is anyone having trouble getting the Marriott website to load so one can register? I've been getting site unavailable for about an hour.
Originally Posted by ExitRowLegroom
I am having the same issues.
Fails on my work computer but fine on personal. I get the There is a problem with this website's security certificate message and then wheni ignore the warning i get the error. We have websence as our internet filter

Code:
Could not connect to server
Overview:

Could not connect to 184.106.12.82 .

Details:

VERIFY DENY: , Peer suddenly disconnected found
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It's probably been about a week since I've been to the Marriott website before today but upon going to it today after registering I noticed that they've redesigned it so they may be having some technical issues that are causing it not to load for some
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:56 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by jeebus
Excellent new benefit! Just registered...

With this UA-MR partnership and the previously announced DL-SPG reciprocity, I wonder if AA/US is working on something as well.
This can only mean an AA-HH tie-up is imminent.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Wouldn't it be reasonable to expect a renewed match opportunity next year? The expiration date coincides with expiration of status on United, which makes sense if one requires United status to get Marriott status.

Presumably the T&C will be updated next year so that anyone who requalifies for Gold or above on UA will continue to get the status at Marriott.
I sure hope so.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
That date corresponds to the end of the Elite year for United. I'm sure if the relationship continues, they'll extend that date when it arrives.

As for Lifetime - I highly doubt we'll see Marriott grant Lifetime to Lifetime UA Elites. But yes, those who are MM are at least Gold, and hence will get matched.

Originally Posted by mecabq
I'm not so sure. Why wouldn't they use language referring to the time-table for matching "each year of the program" instead of the discrete 01/14 date? They could have said something like, "Marriott Reward Gold status will be valid through the end* of the member's Mileage Plus Premier Gold (or higher) status validity period."

(*Actually, Marriott statuses run until 02/28, so I am oversimplifying a bit.)
What macabq said. Why put an explicit date that will need to be updated every year?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy

Reasonable expectations and MP don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
What macabq said. Why put an explicit date that will need to be updated every year?
Because they don't want to commit themselves. Go look at the PQD thread. This is not unusual behavior.

The program is, in substance, a reciprocity, not a status match. Having an end date like that wouldn't make sense.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Overlapping constituencies?

Thinking out loud, or at least in pixels, here...

I agree that anybody who's spent more than 50 nights in Marriott properties almost certainly has status with one airline or another, but my hunch is that elite flyers are not as likely to have elite status with any one hotel operator. Why? Because without any such thing as a hub city for a lodging brand, you don't have geography to shape your decision the way, for instance, my location between DCA and IAD and my frequent Bay Area travel make UA a logical choice. Right?

As others here have said, this probably won't expand the pool of UA Silvers, but it may very well get a lot more people MR Gold status. Like me, for instance--I usually book lodging by cost and location alone. The cost of consolidating enough of my stays with one hotel company to get meaningful status isn't worth the higher price I'd pay. But now that I have that status without paying that cost upfront, I'll give a little more attention to what Marriott spots might work, knowing I can get an above-average value there. So from my selfish perspective: ^
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The program is, in substance, a reciprocity, not a status match.
Hardly a reciprocity. UA elites get MR mid tier. MR top tier get UA bottom tier.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Reasonable expectations and MP don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.
Fair point - I just would be surprised if United and Marriott negotiated and then announced with fanfare a program that ends 6 months from now. They could do it much more simply - e.g., show your UA gold or above card at check in for specified benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.