Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
I read that as though it lines up with the expiration of the elite year. If the program continues beyond this year, then maybe you'd have to verify status again to receive the gold match for another year.
I would hope that's the case, but until that's confirmed (either by a UA statement, or by experience come Feb 2014), I wouldn't count on it...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Finally, a change I like...it only took forever! ^

Thanks Aaron for the good news, and also kudos for being right that this is a positive!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Ouch. So the Gold match is only good for the next 6 months.

Not quite as excited as I was when I first read about this...
Ouch indeed. "5. Complimentary status offerings are valid through January 31, 2014."

I just assumed that this was a new annual benefit. Please amend my previous posts from "great program" to "worthless." It happens to be worthless to me, since I am already Marriott Gold (although don't expect to be in future years). (And I am a sucker for taking a challenge in which I stayed six times at Marriott by 06/30 to earn Gold for 2014. )

Even for those who will benefit, this seems like a lot of fanfare for what is basically a short-term status match promotion plus a (modest?) change to the transfer rates.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
I read that as though it lines up with the expiration of the elite year. If the program continues beyond this year, then maybe you'd have to verify status again to receive the gold match for another year.

That was my reading as well.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]New Miles-to-Points Transfer: We’re introducing the ability for Premier members (at all levels) to convert MileagePlus award miles into Marriott Rewards points at a 1-to-1 ratio, up to 50,000 miles per year.
[*]Improved Points-to-Miles Transfer: We’re improving the rate at which all members can convert their Marriott Rewards points into MileagePlus miles by offering a 20% discount off the number of points required for miles. This will be the leading conversion rate for transfer of Marriott Rewards points into airline miles.
^ I do like the new transfer options, certainly makes points more 'valuable' in both programs. More so for marriott which has pretty bad conversion rates vs. SPG.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), AA P, Marriott PP (LT PP), SPG P (LT P), HH G, and Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
This is some welcome news to see walking off the plane Monday morning. I was fearing the worst and this is solid. The only thing I would've liked to see is the crossover earnings a la DL and SPG, but apart from that I'm happy not to need to go out of my way to re-earn Marriott Gold and to have a nice transfer
I agree. Since I am already above Marriott Gold and United Silver, there really is nothing in this promotion for me. I would have loved to see the crossover earnings capabilities like Delta/Starwood. This program falls short to theirs.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Ouch. So the Gold match is only good for the next 6 months.

Not quite as excited as I was when I first read about this...
That date corresponds to the end of the Elite year for United. I'm sure if the relationship continues, they'll extend that date when it arrives.

As for Lifetime - I highly doubt we'll see Marriott grant Lifetime to Lifetime UA Elites. But yes, those who are MM are at least Gold, and hence will get matched.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by bob_the_d

last year i randomly just got a hilton gold card as well saying that as a "valued UA flyer" they sponsored me without even asking. again, still surprised it didn't go hilton.
I forget if I signed up for it or not, but I also received HH Gold in the mail. I used the status for the first time a few weeks ago, taking a VDB at BOS, being set up at the BOS Hilton since my flight was the next day, and enjoying free Wi-Fi, breakfast, and a spot on the "Executive Floor."

Once I earn Gold later this year for the first time, I'll grab this benefit. I don't know if it'll shift my purchasing habits, but Marriott improves its position in my consideration set.

Does anyone else think that this signals an even greater devaluation in the UA Silver product for 2014, considering they're giving it away to hotel elites? [Insert comment about CC, already devalued, etc. -- but give my question some thought before trotting out the same three sentences I always see in reference to the UA Silver program.]
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by CDKing
Except for UA silvers will not be happy
Waiting for all the UA Silver elites to chime in with a big here as Marriott Gold’s and above receive complimentary UA Silver elite status. So there is no additional benefit for UA Silvers, only downside with additional competition from Marriott Gold and Platinum's for CPU's and E+ at T-24 hours. Am I understanding it correctly? Marriott is also locked up with Chase so that part of it makes sense.

SunLover
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mecabq

One obvious question, not mentioned in the T&C, is whether lifetime Gold (1MM) will receive Marriott gold in perpetuity. I would presume so, but of course we must be skeptical.
I would assume that your lifetime Gold status would allow continued Marriott Gold status as long as UA and Marriott have the arrangement.

But that doesn't mean you would continue to have Marriott Gold if UA and Marriott terminate their arrangement.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Mats
Phew!
I'm glad that United didn't do anything ridiculous.
Well you can't say the same for Marriott.

Originally Posted by Mats
My only experience in decades has been the Newark Airport Marriott, which I would prefer to avoid. But I'm sure they have nicer properties elsewhere.
Anywhere is more like it. I have 1000+ nights at Marriott properties, including the Newark Airport Marriott once and I can say that it was the worst MR I have ever stayed.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Maybe? I guess the bad part is more competition for E+ seats because a Silver shouldn't be expecting upgrades anyway. In my mind, the only benefits that would affect other silvers is access to E+ (more competition at T-24) and a few more people in the Premier Access line which affects all elites. The other benefits of silver like checked baggage and whatnot doesn't really impact my travel experience. In addition, I'd speculate that high level elites in hotel programs likely have reasonable status on some airline, so may be significant overlap.

We'll see what happens.
Bolding mine - that seems right. Someone who stays 50 nights at Marriott probably does a fair amount of airline travel. If they don't, then status doesn't really matter and the impact will be limited. If they do, and they regularly travel United, then they probably have silver status anyway. And if they regularly travel another airline, then the impact will also be limited.

In other words, it seems unlikely that there's someone who currently travels a lot on another airline, stays in the Marriott, and as a result of getting Silver on United will switch significant travel to United and thus meaningfully use the new silver status acquired.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
If I was a Marriott guy, I would be upset!
People say that but the truth is most people won't make a major change in their spending patterns. I am SPG Plat and have no intention of giving them up. I got Hyatt Diamond status as part of MegaDo 2 years ago, and I think I only spent one night at a Hyatt property after I got my status. It will be nice to have Gold status with Marriott, but reality is I doubt I spend more than 5 nights a year there.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If this is intended to be an ongoing benefit, then it is likely that status will be reassessed concurrent with the start of the elite year, such that a Premier Gold member who does not requalify in 2013 for the 2014 program year is not afforded Marriott Gold benefits in the 2014 program year.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SunLover
Waiting for all the UA Silver elites to chime in with a big here as Marriott Gold’s and above receive complimentary UA Silver elite status.
Originally Posted by drewguy
Bolding mine - that seems right. Someone who stays 50 nights at Marriott probably does a fair amount of airline travel. If they don't, then status doesn't really matter and the impact will be limited. If they do, and they regularly travel United, then they probably have silver status anyway. And if they regularly travel another airline, then the impact will also be limited.
MR Plats (75+ nights) and Plat Premier (top 3% of Plats) are the only ones who may request UA Silver. MR Golds are the ones really getting the shaft here as their numbers will swell with all the new UA elites requesting MR Gold elite status. More competition for MR Gold upgrades, more crowded lounges, and future redemption devaluations as a result of inflating the market with more elite bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.