Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hamey
The Marriott concierge lounges are pretty overcrowded and raucous already and this will just make it worse. I've been Marriott Platinum Premier and Gold on United for years, so this new event is of no personal benefit at all, while in fact diminishing the benefits to a customer who is spending upwards of 100 annual revenue nights at (almost invariably) Marriott, JW and Renaissance properties and easily expending over $5,000 per year in Star Alliance. Silver status on United counts for just about nothing anymore and here comes another slew of passengers into Group 2 boarding. All in all, not much to celebrate.
As a MR Plat, I've only ever seen a raucous lounge - and that was when there was a children's footwear (!!) exhibition going on. The breakfast was overwhelmed with tons of unaccompanied kids.

I have NEVER seen the lounge packed at night. Then again, I've also never stayed at the EWR Marriott.

I am fascinated by all the "worried about Marriott" posts. That's not the focus of this forum - but I guess folks have to find a way to spin this good news negatively.

Last edited by aacharya; Jul 15, 2013 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by aacharya
I am fascinated by all the "worried about Marriott" posts. That's not the focus of this forum - but I guess folks have to find a way to spin this good news negatively.
Have to agree here. Even for extreme pessimists, at the very minimum, the fundamental value of United miles has not decreased, end of story. Silvers have more competition for E+ seats (maybe) and a few more friends in the already choatic boarding procedures, however, for many it was a real benefit and we can all cancel our panic award bookings.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by FC ORD
Like many others, this enhancement is a negative for me. I am already Marriott Plat and United 1K, so the only thing is see is more crowds in the Marriott lounges. Now if we could "double dip" that would be nice.

On the negative side, this change could push me over to Hilton. I stay enough nights to be an elite in only one program, If I can now be Gold in Marriott because of my UA status, then I may stay fewer nights there and instead stay mote at Hilton to also achieve status there.

Does this make sense to any of you?
YES. I'm in the same boat . . . 1K and Plat.

This automatic Marriott Gold Status is good enough for me. I will probably be staying a little more at Hyatt and SPG, depending on location.

In the past, there was always the desire to at least make Gold, but now with my work travel habits, that's pretty much automatic, so I probably won't end up being as Marriott-loyal as I have been.

That being said, if I can make it to Plat relatively easily, then I'll try! I made it the last 2 years, barely.

Still, I won't complain about a benefit to UA FFs that most will like. It's definitely an improvement in the program, even if I personally don't get a lot of benefit from it right now. Afterall, if I stay say 30 nights in Marriotts next year, it will! ^
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Really like this- habitual Marriott visitor, but never quite enough to make gold. Thanks UA!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:45 am

Seriously great benefit. Had fallen behind on my marriott nights for Hilton night due locations. But have a spate of trips with better Marriott spots coming up!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Question -- any thoughts on if this will impact the Chase Club/PP credit card Hyatt Platinum match?
I'm thinking (hoping) not. The Hyatt match seems to be a Chase-centric perk where the Marriott match is UA-centric.

For me, Marriott was the best chain UA could have picked, as I always maintain Diamond w/ Hilton, get Hyatt Plat through the PP card (although rarely stay at Hyatts), and occasionally stay at Marriotts but never enough to make status. So this is a ^ for me.

Now waiting for the "oh we forgot to mention"...to maintain UA Elite Status you now have to meet a minimum spend requirement at Marriott also.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: United Gold
This is awesome! ^
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Great news!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Well, that makes it easy for me to stop being loyal to Marriott! Thanks to both companies!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I like this! Thanks UA!

Now, any way to accelerate the recognition in the Marriott system? Just registered but I have a Marriott stay tomorrow night. It would be great if the 7-10 days stated by the registration site actually meant 7-10 hours .
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
haha i'm checking into a marriott on thursday. not holding my breath.
Yeah, I'm checking in tomorrow night and am really not expecting this to have activated by then (but it's nice to dream!).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:05 pm

After being Platinum for about 7 years and then slowly declined to Silver, this is great!^
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
As some others have said, so what, I'm already a Marriott Gold. But since I'm a MM, will be interested in the ongoing renewal/whatever w/ having at least lifetime MP Gold status.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, A3 G, IHG P, HH G, MR G
Will be great if GS/1K gets MR P...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Great news (for once).

I tried to register through the UA link and it would not take my Marriott number. I'm using a Mac with the latest version of Firefox.

I called into MP and they were able to register me through Internet Exploder.

So we will see in a couple of weeks if the registration took.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.