Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
The scariest thing about this new partnership was the fact that upon entering my MP number to register it already knew my Marriott number even though I've never done any cross promotions between the two. Oh well big data at its best.
I suspect in negotiations, both companies swapped databases of their elites and did a match, identifying how many newbies it would actually result in, as well as the increased demands this would generate on each partner. Likely there was a high degree of elite overlap. Once the agreement was signed, these elite databases were merged and yours was pretty much merged and awaiting your buy-in (as would be required under commerce and anti-trust regs).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:41 am

^ I appreciate having this new perk as I'll probably stay more nights at Marriott properties. Thanks, United. ^
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:42 am
tyc

Programs: UA GS MM
A great plus, definitely will steer me to staying with Marriott more.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:42 am

Phew!
I'm glad that United didn't do anything ridiculous.

This means having elite status in SPG, Marriott, and Hyatt, which isn't so bad. The status doesn't always mean much, but if it leads to free internet, great!

My only experience in decades has been the Newark Airport Marriott, which I would prefer to avoid. But I'm sure they have nicer properties elsewhere.

United's crews often stay in Marriott properties (it would be against the rules and unfair to the crews to post any more details.) But this suggests that the two companies have a relationship that runs deeper than just MileagePlus.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
A couple of years ago, when checking into a Hilton, I was welcomed as a Diamond member. It was odd, as I rarely stay in Hiltons. I figured it was a MP promotion in some way.

The diamond status has stuck.

With this new promotion, I'm doubting the Hilton status has any UA connection at all.

Could it be my Amex plat card?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Announcing RewardsPlus

Is anyone having trouble getting the Marriott website to load so one can register? I've been getting site unavailable for about an hour.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
Is anyone having trouble getting the Marriott website to load so one can register? I've been getting site unavailable for about an hour.
I am having the same issues.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
I just registered with no issues. Liking this change! ^

SunLover
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:09 am

I am happy that the expected disaster did not materialize. Nice to have Marriott as an extra choice in Asia, mostly in China but also seems like they have a nice resort in Okinawa.
Now let's hold our breath and wait for the next devaluation of benefits which certainly will come.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
Great news! True enhancement.^

I hope UA Insider can clarify if MR Gold match is a one-time deal or is it annual, as long you remain UA Gold? MR Gold needs to be re-qualified every year.

EDIT: Found answer. It is a one-time match.

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...tusMatchTC.jsp

Ouch. So the Gold match is only good for the next 6 months.

Not quite as excited as I was when I first read about this...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: UNITED 1K / 3 MM, LH Senator, DL Diamond, SPG Platinum Lifetime, Hyatt Diamond, Platinum Royal Ambas
Marriott ?

Yes 3000 PLUS hotels ... but most of them without a lounge, AND forget about upgrades with GOLD status. I will register, BUT this new GOLD status is with the all additional UA elites worthless.

Marriott for sure will chance GOLD privileges as of next year. Lets watch and see
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I don't normally stay at Marriott however on those odd occasions this is a plus.

Color me surprised.. in a good way.

And for those of us contemplating using our foreign addresses:

Is RewardsPlus open to members who reside outside the United States?

Yes.

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
Great news! True enhancement.^

I hope UA Insider can clarify if MR Gold match is a one-time deal or is it annual, as long you remain UA Gold? MR Gold needs to be re-qualified every year.

EDIT: Found answer. It is a one-time match.

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...tusMatchTC.jsp
This is good news..but still confused about wording ..does this mean if one matches MR Platinum to UA silver now, this is only one time match and in effect till only Jan 2014 i.e. just for next 6 months? If yes…I don't see much value in it unless I am missing anything
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Ouch. So the Gold match is only good for the next 6 months.

Not quite as excited as I was when I first read about this...
I read that as though it lines up with the expiration of the elite year. If the program continues beyond this year, then maybe you'd have to verify status again to receive the gold match for another year.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Way to go UA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.