Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The “leaked” first shot:

United’s announcement video:
https://twitter.com/united/status/11...525993984?s=20

PDF of the new livery:
https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/876...jpg?p=original

Out with the Gold, in with the Blue - United Airlines Unveils its Next Fleet Paint Design
Updated aircraft livery is the next step in United's ongoing efforts to modernize its visual brand

CHICAGO, April 24, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines is introducing customers and employees to a modernized aircraft livery, which will bring a refreshed look to its fleet. The design is a visual representation of United's ongoing brand evolution while staying true to the history it has developed over the past 93 years of proudly serving customers around the world.

"As we improve and elevate our customer experience, we are changing the way people think and feel about United, and this branding captures that new spirit," said Oscar Munoz, CEO of United Airlines. "Each improvement we've added to our service advances our evolution as an airline, furthering our effort to elevate and redefine customer service in the sky. This modernized design, especially our iconic globe, enhances the very best of United's image and values while pointing in the direction of where we intend to go next in serving our customers."

The next iteration of United's livery prominently features the color most connected to the airline's core – blue. Three shades – Rhapsody Blue, United Blue and Sky Blue – are used throughout the design in a way that pays respect to United's heritage while bringing a more modern energy. The airline is keeping its iconic globe logo on the aircraft tail, which represents the carrier's expansive route network of reaching 355 destinations in nearly 60 countries. The tail will be updated with a gradient in the three shades of blue, while the logo will now appear predominantly in Sky Blue. The engines and wingtips are also being painted United Blue, and the swoop that customers and employees have expressed fondness for on United's Dreamliner fleet will be added to all aircraft in Rhapsody Blue. United's name will appear larger on the aircraft body and the lower half of the body will be painted Runway Gray. United's mission of "Connecting people. Uniting the world." will also be painted near the door of each aircraft.

The new design features core colors from United's updated brand palette, which was introduced last year as a step toward updating the brand's visual identity. Blue continues to be the airline's primary color, with various tones creating more depth and reflecting the colors customers and employees see when they look out the plane window at the sky. The airline's new color palette also includes shades of purple, which is most recognizable as the color of the new United Premium Plus seats are being added to the fleet. When combined, the purple and blue tones create a soothing environment and a more relaxed travel experience. In updating its colors, United is reducing the use of gold, which was added to the brand palette almost 30 years ago. United's new color palette can also be seen in the accent colors of the new uniforms that are being created for more than 70,000 front-line employees.

On average, United aircraft receive new paint jobs every seven years. The first aircraft painted with the new design is a Boeing 737-800, which will be joined by a mix of narrowbody, widebody and regional aircraft with the updated livery throughout the year. For more information visit united.com/brandevolution.
Print Wikipost

Revised UA livery revealed 24 April 2019 (sneak peek on FT on 23rd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

You’re right about the timing on Delta but remember DL and NW exited bankruptcy the same time - to the day I think - and Anderson was already in place as CEO.

It it was in motion before being announced.
Although some understandable believe Delta's livery has a nod to Northwest, it has never been proven. A few clarifications:

If I remember correctly, Delta and Northwest filed bankruptcy on the same day due to a tax code that was expiring (CEOs at the time were Grinstein and Steenland).
Anderson joined Delta September 1, 2007, four months after the livery debuted on April 30, 2007 (in other words he had nothing to do with the livery).
As mentioned, the livery was unveiled April 30, 2007, a year before the merger announcement on April 15, 2008.
Delta was also in merger talks with United. What if they had merged, was there a nod in the livery to United?
Lippincott (the agency that designed the livery) and Delta would have in all likelihood touted the livery's nod to Northwest if true, especially after the merger. But they never did.

I'm not saying the livery does not have a nod to Northwest, but the facts say it does not.
UAL757222 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:51 am

It looks like the tail almost had Pacific Blue (teal) for the logo. I wonder if United meant to post this image on Twitter:

Certainly different than the Sky Blue they ended up using:
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UAL757222
It’s just an ugly livery. The globe is a terrible logo. It’s a perfect symbol for mediocrity, which matches the product and service to a T. Nothing here says we want to be a leader, we want to stand out, we want to be an inviting airline.

I am annoyed, however, that those who want the Tulip back are told to get over it, yet there continues to exist the name of a dead airline in the company name, dead companies’ logo celebrated on the tail, and a retro jet with full, complete titles of said dead airline. See the issue?

Maybe it isn’t the customers that should move on, but the company themselves.
And a Tulip...a FLOWER... says "we want to be a leader, we want to stand out, we want to be an inviting airline" ???

Count me as one who is glad the tulip is dead and gone.
And yes, everyone should just get over it because it ain't gonna happen ; )
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lenscap
I'm not saying the livery does not have a nod to Northwest, but the facts say it does not.
This is a confusing sentence. So you don't believe in facts?

Originally Posted by atword
I actually didn't notice the upper tail gradient coloring. Thanks for this! I like it even more.

#tulipisdead #letitgo
JOSECONLSCREW28 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
the tail looks great! it is probably one of the best tails in the sky.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:53 am

With all of the purple that's been showing up I was surprised there wasn't a touch of it incorporated on the airplane.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
I actually like the new UA livery a lot. The only decent suggestion I've read was extending the tail design down to the belly. Everyone else is shouting combinations of PURPLE/TULIP/ORANGE/WE HATE CO!/NON-GLOBE/SWOOP-LOOKS-LIKE-A-FROWN or, worse, not offering any suggestion at all. Typical armchair/internet commentary, really.
It is also reasonable to complain about the bullet holes through the wordmark.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by seanp7
The left BA 747 livery is beautiful...That was the norm, and I miss it.

I actually like the new UA livery a lot. The only decent suggestion I've read was extending the tail design down to the belly. Everyone else is shouting combinations of PURPLE/TULIP/ORANGE/WE HATE CO!/NON-GLOBE/SWOOP-LOOKS-LIKE-A-FROWN or, worse, not offering any suggestion at all. Typical armchair/internet commentary, really.
You don't have to miss it, G-BNLY proudly wears it.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nnn
Agree with those calling this a marked improvement. Also agree with the comment that a heritage tulip livery in the fleet would be very cool.
Agreed. And there are some 757/767s that have actually worn Saul Bass and looked their best back then.
DenverBrian, nnn, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chavala
And a Tulip...a FLOWER... says "we want to be a leader, we want to stand out, we want to be an inviting airline" ???
It’s a shorthand for the logo which actually synthesizes different elements.

Hawaiian employs an actual flower visual in its livery. Others too.

Guess I wasted my money on flowers for special welcoming occasions. Should have printed a clip art gif on dot matrix printer instead!
DenverBrian, nnn and UAL757222 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:30 pm

I think the new livery is more modern and they did a good job updating something that really to be candid isn't United Airlines. There's something forever stately, worldly, and elegantly understated that the Pentagram Rising Blue livery had that this new one just misses the mark on. I also think Pentagram's work has aged, and will continue to age, far better than this new livery.

Michael Beirut's team had a livery that was an evolution of rising blue to include Continental, ostensively to have the new carrier retain Pentagram. Smisek rejected it for cost reasons and ditched them out of hand. Michael's shown it off at a few art discussions in NYC over the years but its never been publicly revealed. That would be absolutely fascinating to see. You can read about that here, which also discusses the potential names (Flyer and Loop), of what would eventually become Ted.

https://newsblog.jessicahaasdesigns....nitedairlines/
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Originally Posted by tuolumne
I think the new livery is more modern and they did a good job updating something that really to be candid isn't United Airlines. There's something forever stately, worldly, and elegantly understated that the Pentagram Rising Blue livery had that this new one just misses the mark on. I also think Pentagram's work has aged, and will continue to age, far better than this new livery.

Michael Beirut's team had a livery that was an evolution of rising blue to include Continental, ostensively to have the new carrier retain Pentagram. Smisek rejected it for cost reasons and ditched them out of hand. Michael's shown it off at a few art discussions in NYC over the years but its never been publicly revealed. That would be absolutely fascinating to see. You can read about that here, which also discusses the potential names (Flyer and Loop), of what would eventually become Ted.

https://newsblog.jessicahaasdesigns....nitedairlines/

I have to agree I would be very interested to see what this looked like.

I am also shocked given how passion passion the subject generates no leaks of it have ever surfaced!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:23 pm

Check out the United re-brand video link in this article:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...y-plane-colors

At the 2:29 mark you can see a livery concept that was explored with an all-white fuselage and a blue tail that extends down onto the rear fuselage.
tuolumne and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by lenscap
Check out the United re-brand video link in this article:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...y-plane-colors

At the 2:29 mark you can see a livery concept that was explored with an all-white fuselage and a blue tail that extends down onto the rear fuselage.
Not bad, until you get to the horrendous 80s disco version of Rhapsody in Blue at the end. Good lord.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by chavala

Count me as one who is glad the tulip is dead and gone.
And yes, everyone should just get over it because it ain't gonna happen ; )
It’s a “U” for United Airlines, what this airline is supposed to be. And yes, it does represent an airline that was a leader, that did stand out, and was an inviting airline. Long live the Tulip.
flaii, DenverBrian, nnn and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.