Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 49er
I was looking at July 4. Here is the exact text, which first appears on the screen where you enter traveler information:

Basic Economy restrictions apply, including:
No seat selection icon
No seat selection

Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No Premier® member seating benefits
No carry on bag icon
No full-sized carry-on bag* Unless you’re a Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star Alliance™ Gold member. You’re allowed a small personal item.

Bags brought to the gate will be checked and subject to the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge
*Unless you’re a Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star Alliance™ Gold member. You’re allowed a small personal item.
Learn more about Basic Economy
Interesting. I'm not able to reproduce this; when I search on July 4th, I don't get an L fare, at least on the non-stop (I'm assuming that you were searching round-trip, BTW; although most UA domestic fares are priced as one-ways, this one is not). I tried an L-fare connecting itinerary and did not see the "Basic Economy" verbiage.

The text seems a little strange -- "no carry on bag icon"? -- so my guess is that you've been treated to a "sneak preview" of the coming Basic Economy experience; either UA is deliberately testing something, and you're in their target group, or their software has accidentally let this out.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
The text seems a little strange -- "no carry on bag icon"? -- so my guess is that you've been treated to a "sneak preview" of the coming Basic Economy experience; either UA is deliberately testing something, and you're in their target group, or their software has accidentally let this out.
Frequently if you're copying and pasting a section from a website and that section includes an image you'll get the alt text for the image (e.g. if the image fails to load/takes a while to load or if you're using screen reader software you know what you're missing) -- my guess is there's some icon to represent that you can't carry on a bag and that's embedded in the text rather than literally "no carry on bag icon" being displayed in free running text.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Someone doing dev in prod env again?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Someone doing dev in prod env again?
Pretty safe bet, although it would be a day earlier than usual...Saturday.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Exit Row
Will UA really match the $79 I paid on NK three times last year, and once $38 on F9, for DEN-LAX-DEN?
Dunno about that route, but UA was selling walk-up EWR-FLL flights this afternoon for $51, cheaper than NK's flights.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JBord
Pretty safe bet, although it would be a day earlier than usual...Saturday.
Already Saturday in parts of the world where they might have devs
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Interesting. I'm not able to reproduce this; when I search on July 4th, I don't get an L fare, at least on the non-stop (I'm assuming that you were searching round-trip, BTW; although most UA domestic fares are priced as one-ways, this one is not). I tried an L-fare connecting itinerary and did not see the "Basic Economy" verbiage.
Was able to get the same fare - LAA2CZEN requires two or more tickets. Could not reproduce Basic Economy warning, almost certainly a bug. There are no -BN type fares filed for the route.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Sometimes the price is comparable, sometimes it's not even competitive. Kind of like UA. WN often has $49 & $59 sales to match B6 & VX. I would tend to agree that WN's base product > BE though one could argue otherwise the seats are crap and there are no assigned seats for anyone. The point is, WN's product will now be far superior to UA's BE product, so when the price is identical passengers will flush UA.
I think that one can luck into very competitive UA fares that (until now at least) are not BE. In December I bought roundtrip tix IAH to BOS for $49 each way (G bucket) for personal travel. ^
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:40 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I have been buYing one way G Fares tpa-ewr or ewr-tpa for 82 for the last couple of days.. We must be getting real close to the launch of UA basic economy.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I have been buYing one way G Fares tpa-ewr or ewr-tpa for 82 for the last couple of days.. We must be getting real close to the launch of UA basic economy.
8.2 cpm is hardly a super low fare.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:09 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
It is when exvept for 2 flights at 82, the rest were between 180 and 357. Remember, this is one way. I make this run about a dozen times a year and I am generally happy when I can get a one way ticket for $150. This city pair has gotten expensive as UA is the only major airline with nonstop service.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Can we add to the WIKI:

What fare classes are Basic? N?
What we have to do on UA.com searches not to get Basic fares (Is it as simple as a fourth column option being added?)
What we need to tell our corp travel policy admin to set up things like Concur to not dead-head on these fares?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can't corporate travel get this from its UA sales contact? Or more to the point, won't UA Sales push this information to corporate travel and the coding for Concur as well as other software?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Can we add to the WIKI:

What fare classes are Basic? N?
What we have to do on UA.com searches not to get Basic fares (Is it as simple as a fourth column option being added?)...
Any member with 90 post can added to the wiki but seems premature on these as we actually do not know with certainty those answers. Just lots of likely speculation.

Originally Posted by Often1
Can't corporate travel get this from its UA sales contact? Or more to the point, won't UA Sales push this information to corporate travel and the coding for Concur as well as other software?
On the recent Qtr'ly conference call
So we’re going to be rolling out Basic Economy later this quarter and starting travel in the second quarter. To me, the most important thing that we’re going to need to do on that is communicate to our customers. And I assure you, on united.com, we’re going to have a very clear communications about what the rules and restrictions are. And I think it’s going to be really hard to go through and buy on united.com and not know exactly what the rules and restrictions are.

We want all of our other entities that sell United tickets to do the same thing. And we want customers to know for sure what they’re buying and the GDSes can play an important role in that, hasn’t historically been the top of their investment list, but we need them to do that. And if we can create a relationship, where they’re effectively communicating that and we have a cost structure that is fair and balanced, I think we can continue to evolve on the path that we’re on, but and actually that with those caveats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2017 at 7:55 pm Reason: self-merge
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kingston
Looks like MSP will be the first market and they plan on making it nationwide (possibly international).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...olis/96721002/

They expect to enforce the carry-on restriction at the gate and not through FA.
How GA going to enforce that at some of these new automated boarding gates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.