Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bear96
Kelleher? LOL yeah cuz the meals on Southwest's three-hour flights are, like, AMAZE-balls!
Surely you are aware I am referring to the overall Southwest product and service culture, along with Alaska, rated highest for a US domestic airline - a product of putting people and product first and analysts and investors last, where they belong.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Truth!
UA continues to cut FF benefits, jam more torture seats on its 10-across long-hauls, cater the cheapest food possible, etc. all in the pursuit of one thing---Profits.

With all of the majors doing the same in the US, and demand at all-time highs, there is no downside to decreasing the quality of the product-at least not until a recession hits.
The problem is that overtime there is shrinking market share. Less and less percent of the overseas travel is on US flag carriers. And once the link is broken, its hard to go back. E.g. my kids WANT to fly CX, ANA, OZ, JAL, LH, all of which they see as vastly superior to UA in Y. Basically anyone but UA. My parents, who take 3-4 overseas trips a year in J, well they will not even look at UA, it is a foreign carrier of DL for them.

Basically the US carriers (and UA in particular) are trying to squeeze more from a smaller and smaller group of flyers who are loyal to them. When the economy tanks in the next 6 to 24 months, it will leave them very exposed.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I flew Ethiopian in September 2017 on its weird, fifth-freedom flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore. It was marvelous in business-class.

Can't agree more. Flew them last week NRT-ICN in Y. The meal was really nice both quality (nice lamb dish) and quantity. Flight attendant were great. It has been a long I haven't take a flight and tough, that was nice Based on it, I really regretted not buying a C ticket.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by bluegatorade

Why do people have the implicit assumption that Ethiopian is or should be worse than UA?
Indeed, I would have made the opposite assumption. Ethiopian restaurants are popular throughout the world for a reason.
Miggles and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Because the number of UA customers who care at all about the food on an airplane is pretty low.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Surely you are aware I am referring to the overall Southwest product and service culture, along with Alaska, rated highest for a US domestic airline - a product of putting people and product first and analysts and investors last, where they belong.
I suppose, although by your reference to Kelleher I surely didn't make the "along with Alaska" connection.

But my point still stands. Surely you can see how in a thread about Airline A offering a bad Y meal (and with no other complaints about Airline A), which you are apparently arguing should be taken as proof of the poor "overall culture" of Airline A and how Airline A doesn't put "people and product first," it is kinda ludicrous to point to Airline B, which offers no meals whatsoever, as an example of how Airline B does a better job taking care of its customers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Food "quality" is completely subjective. You can bet that if United hired the best chefs and had only gourmet meals, there would still be plenty on this forum who would complain about the mediocre food.
And there would be people who complained "the food was bad and the portions were too small!" (ancient New York joke for those of you overseas...)
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by leiserom
I have basically given up on airline food. When doing a long flight out of IAH we usually just eat in Pappadeaux in the terminal. On going to Rio for xmas I declined the meal. When we were coming back having eaten in the Star Alliance lounge we declined the airline meal.
This is a useful suggestion. When I know I'm going to get a poor meal offering (usually LCC or short haul) I will use priority pass to get into a lounge and stuff my face first
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:57 pm

You do realize we're talking about coach here and not Business or First class, right? What are you expecting Michelin inspired food paired with a lovely glass of Dom? What are you expecting when you spend $300 USD to fly from LHR to LAX and back in coach? Overall, having flown a number of times internationally with them, I found their coach food to be okay (nothing to write home about but acceptable quality). Comparing with other airlines I've flown over the years (SQ, NH, AC, BASA, 5T, etc.) I would say coach meals generally are meh. Generally, they serve something starchy (like bread), salad and some hot entree like lasagne. They serve the purpose of keeping you full and that's it!

Rumour has it that if you order a special meal on UA (i.e. vegan) not only will your food come out first but the quality will also be better since it's made in smaller batches. I'll let the more senior FTers comment on this approach and other strategies to Jiffy up their coach service!

Now if you're talking about Business or First class, then yes we could have a debate here and argue about how UA compares to the likes of AF, LH, NH to name but a few.

-James
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:58 pm

This just can't be, United is Flyer Friendly.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Fairly pathetic thread - ET is 100% owned by the Ethiopian government let alone the differences in markets, regions, and company goals.

I've never found UA Y meals to be bad. Nothing to write home about, but certainly acceptable. Certainly never had some amazing Y dining experiences on any US-based carrier. Maybe marginally EK because of the extra side dish and metal silverware, but it's still the same basic chicken/pasta.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by geometry

Almost all of my UA flights are long haul TPAC flights. My most two recent flights are SFO-NRT-SFO.

Well... imagine my surprise when I flew Ethiopian Airlines for the first time on a similar 5000-mile flight.

The coach meals that I had had better presentation, better quantity and better taste... (compared directly to the UA meals that I'm used to on flights of similar length)

Sorry... end of rant...
sorry- are you implying that bc and airline is African it should be of less quality? I’m failing to see the correlation.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2019 at 9:56 pm Reason: removed personal attack; FT rule 12
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
Yes, it's cyclical. However what is weird is that in this very rare period where quality is at an all-time low AND demand at an all-time high, no one sees a new opportunity to create a better air travel experience while also being price-sensitive, challenging the legacies. Post-deregulation, a cyclical height of the economy always saw the creation of at least 1 successful new airline with this exact mission. In recent times, 2000 saw Jetblue and 2007 saw Virgin America. Both created ripple effects in the industry and set standards that the legacies were (or are) compared to. The worst is yet to come if we go into the next recession without a new airline.
You would think there would be an opportunity for a quality-based airline and yet, Virgin America is gone and Jet Blue is flying the routes they can make money on. This is hardly a good time to start a business in the US, particularly one as capital intensive as an airline. Americans have shown they aren't willing to pay more for quality no matter how much they'll gripe about the current situation.
Miggles, BeanTownBoy and m.y like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2019 at 9:57 pm Reason: OMNI comments removed
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How would they (the UA execs) know? How many UA execs commonly (ever?) fly Ethiopian - in coach, no less?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Because UA Execs don't fly coach.
DCP2016 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.