Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by Steve M
Compare that with Ethiopian, which is owned by the government. I don't know what their operating principles are. Profit may not be #1, and growth in profit almost certainly is not. In fact, it may not even be required to turn a profit at all. As a government institution, perhaps its mandate is to operate efficiently in order to grow the overall economy, and not generate a direct profit. I have no idea. But it's certainly very different than UA's raison d'être.
Thankfully, they make their financial info public nowadays. Have continued to report profits.
https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/co...rmance-reports
https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/co...se/detail/1000

" During the 2017/18 fiscal year:
  • Ethiopian introduced additional +14 new aircraft, more than one aircraft per month;
  • The airline opened 8 new international destinations, namely Geneva (Switzerland), Chicago (USA), Bahrain, Kaduna (Nigeria), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Kisangani and Mbuji-Mayi (Democratic Republic of Congo) and Nosy-Be (Madagascar);
  • The number of passengers carried grew by +21% topping the 10 million mark for the first time in the airline’s history and reaching 10.6 million passengers;
  • Freight carried grew by +18% from previous fiscal year to attain 400,339 tons;
  • Operating revenue grew by +43% from previous fiscal year to culminate at 89.1 billion Ethiopian birr (ETB);
  • Net profit stood at 6.8 billion ETB."
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
When Apple is buying half of your Polaris seats, why be concerned with any other customers?

I've had better overall service in SQ Y on a 3hr flight then I've had in Polaris on a 10+ hr flight - I don't think UA execs care - these people are not cut from the same cloth as Kelleher - they only care about metrics that drive the stock price and remaining in the good graces of their analysts. Leaders like Kelleher didn't care about Wall Street, they knew the right way to run a business was to create and sell a differentiated product people wanted, treat employees like gold and empower them with the responsibility to treat customers like gold. The business will do well, money is made, the stock price increases, metrics be damned..
I recently flew four TA legs - two on DL, one on UA and one on KLM. The differences were startling. KLM had much better entertainment in coach than either DL and UA, and their food, while not something that would make me fly KLM again, was better than UAs. DL was the biggest surprise - instead of the chicken or pasta options found on UA, we were offered our choice of 3 entrees, and the FAs were generous with the drink cart. So, while UA can dismiss KLM, why is it that DL can offer a better Y experience TATL? Last time I checked, DL was making a profit.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

Believe the point of the OP was commenting on the state of UA's economy food, using ET as a comparison. As this is the UA forum, let's focus on UA as the topic of discussion.

Those wishing to have an in-depth discussion of ET are invited to check out Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines where ET is discussed.

So, let re-focus on UA.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerato
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:44 am

Just out of curiosity, why would they be ashamed that their food is worse than ET? Are you saying that ET should have worse food because they are in Africa? Struggling a bit with your logic on this one.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by jah718
Just out of curiosity, why would they be ashamed that their food is worse than ET? Are you saying that ET should have worse food because they are in Africa? Struggling a bit with your logic on this one.
Agree with you here. If anything, OP should pick on someone their own size rather than singling out the smaller African carriers who have the benefit of having a limited number of routes, outstations, focus cities, etc. If we look at UA, they've got hubs at ORD, EWR, IAD, IAH, SFO and DEN all of them cater food for both domestic and long haul international flights. In addition, many of the routes they take require them to double stock the food (for the outbound and return), they don't have the luxury of picking up plates of food from the destinations they land at, at all times. Need I remind everyone of the furor that occurred not too long ago when the DEN kitchen went down and F meals consisted of BoB burgers?! They also have way more passengers to serve in way more markets with varying dietary needs. Aside from Africa, UA serves every continent on the planet!

Taking all of this into account, it's unfare to compare UA to the likes of ET or even SA. It would be one thing if you compared UA INTL Y meals to, say LH, SQ or QF. I suspect if you do you'll soon realize that they too may not come up to your strict standards.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:34 am

Can anyone name a large international airline in the top 15 that offer a better Y international meal service than UA? Would be interested to hear either way!

-James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:36 am Reason: OT content removed
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I join with others that implying Ethiopian in the thread title should have worst food is very wrong.

Regardless, I've flown a lot of airlines, domestic and international flag carriers in economy, and I can't claim any had "good" food in economy - some had "better" food than others, but any experienced FT flier should know if possible, bring your own food in economy,
writerguyfl and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I join with others that implying Ethiopian in the thread title should have worst food is very wrong.

Regardless, I've flown a lot of airlines, domestic and international flag carriers in economy, and I can't claim any had "good" food in economy - some had "better" food than others, but any experienced FT flier should know if possible, bring your own food in economy,
..Or pre-eat at the lounge before boarding! I've had some international flights on UA where the CO breakfast at the UC was far superior to the gummy sausages and eggs they served!

That being said, an argument could be made that the BoB food tends to be better than the Y food you get on many international routes. I recall recently flying AC from SFO to YYZ and they had a Freshii wrap onboard that was pretty good (and healthy)! Also realize, if you're ever fortunate enough to fly an airline that lists the calorific content of their food (i.e. NH and SQ) you'll soon realize that one of those meals could set you back 1,000 calories or more! Now I know why people order the special meals! With those types of meals and sedentary lifestyle, who needs the gym

-James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by halls120
and their food, while not something that would make me fly KLM again, was better than UAs.
There’s your answer. Reheated mass produced food doesn’t sell tickets.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:28 am

Also having flown Norwegian I really can't understand what all the fuss is about. At this point (ex-Europe) I can fly Norwegian or UA to SFO for $300 USD return. In the former seat selection, check bags, meals, priority boarding, lounge access, etc. is all extra. With UA it's all free!

What will be interesting is to see what the food will be like in Premium Coach when that launches in March!

-James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:40 am

For 5 years, I flew UA in F monthly transpacific. I brought my own food....
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by geometry

Almost all of my UA flights are long haul TPAC flights. My most two recent flights are SFO-NRT-SFO.

Well... imagine my surprise when I flew Ethiopian Airlines for the first time on a similar 5000-mile flight.

The coach meals that I had had better presentation, better quantity and better taste... (compared directly to the UA meals that I'm used to on flights of similar length)

Sorry... end of rant...
Umm!! I beg to differ. I have been flying Ethiopian Airlines regularly for over 10 years now - an average of 5-6 long haul round trips every year (either the WAS-ADD route or WAS-DAR route via ADD). ET has been feeding me the same white chicken "goop" for the last 8 years or so. I call it goop because it is barely recognizable as anything edible. United's food options are pretty bad, but at least it looks like food. However, the Hindu meal and vegetarian options on ET are better than UA. The standard meal on ET is just horrendous!

Having said that, ET business class has much better food that UA Polaris. They serve you fresh injera in ET business class, unlike the tasteless bread you get on Polaris.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:48 am

This is not just UA, all US based airlines. You can't compare them with other world airlines. In the US, it's a race to the bottom. They keep cutting services, making gigantic profits, and throwing toddler tantrums that the other airlines are subsidized by governments.I have learned my lesson. I fly UA only for domestic these days.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: UA, QF, VA
Originally Posted by geometry

Almost all of my UA flights are long haul TPAC flights. My most two recent flights are SFO-NRT-SFO.

Well... imagine my surprise when I flew Ethiopian Airlines for the first time on a similar 5000-mile flight.

The coach meals that I had had better presentation, better quantity and better taste... (compared directly to the UA meals that I'm used to on flights of similar length)

Sorry... end of rant...
Originally Posted by bluegatorade

Why do people have the implicit assumption that Ethiopian is or should be worse than UA?
Exactly! Ethiopian is a quality airline. United is not.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by revigik
They did that - it's called the Polaris Lounge, Polaris seat investment, Premium Economy. You certainly have options to pay more for a better experience. However, if you want to buy a cheap fare to get you from A-B, that's what you get!
Exactly. Especially Premium Economy.

UA is selling LAX-HKG in Y for $600 roundtrip. Why would it surprise anyone that you aren't going to get much in the way of service at that fare? Indeed, you get a lot more in some respects than you used to, such as IFE with tons of movies, TV, and games, and adjustable headrests.

Premium Economy is sold at the same price point, in inflation adjusted dollars, as international Y was in the past. And you get a comfortable seat and better meals at that price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.