Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by sannmann
Are you kidding? I got food poisoning last time I ate the food in Economy flying out of ADD on ET...
I got food poisoning from the polaris SFO lounge last time I ate there. So maybe they are soul mates?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I stopped flying South African Airways when Mendela left office. I fly BA/LH into RSA.

My son is a seasoned traveler, and he likes Ethiopian Airlines. The service is sup excellent.

As for other African carriers, I have been on Royal Air Maroc, Tunis Air, and Kenya. Not great experience

LH/BA/CX/JL/SQ/KE/OZ are what we should compare UA against. Against them on international flights, UA doesn't measure up.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
So, 3 easy solutions to this:

1) Don't eat food on board
2) Bring your own food
3) Both 1 and 2 together.

Simple.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Because North American passengers don't vote with their wallets. They don't en-masse take their business away from a North American carrier when they get poor service or poor food. They don't spend $50 more to fly a carrier with a higher standard of service.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Shame? Whats shame?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
With all of the majors doing the same in the US, and demand at all-time highs, there is no downside to decreasing the quality of the product-at least not until a recession hits.
Yes, it's cyclical. However what is weird is that in this very rare period where quality is at an all-time low AND demand at an all-time high, no one sees a new opportunity to create a better air travel experience while also being price-sensitive, challenging the legacies. Post-deregulation, a cyclical height of the economy always saw the creation of at least 1 successful new airline with this exact mission. In recent times, 2000 saw Jetblue and 2007 saw Virgin America. Both created ripple effects in the industry and set standards that the legacies were (or are) compared to. The worst is yet to come if we go into the next recession without a new airline.

Additionally, in the hypothesis that the next recession is still a few years away and demand keeps increasing, I wonder if we will reach a point where demand will severely exceed capacity, and the industry - faced by a lack of new airlines - will keep increasing fares back to pre-deregulation levels, making air travel cost-prohibitive for many, while maintaining a steady decrease in quality. If the next recession doesn't hit soon, something has to break, as both the aging domestic commercial fleet and several airports are reaching saturation levels.

Going back to the original subject, how many Middle Eastern airlines* consolidated over the last decade, and how many American airlines did so? In America, the decrease in quality came with the airline consolidations and lack of new players. In the Middle East, airlines still have to, you know, compete.

* I know Ethiopia is in Africa, it borders the Middle East though
twomonger likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by TA
You can't blame UA alone for the service and amenities being crappy. Like so many things, the outcomes you observe are dictated by the rules, not the players.

UA exists in a consumer, labor, and economic environment that does not reward excessive / outstanding service for domestic airline travel. When flying is as rote as taking a bus to work, and people are unwilling to pay more for a ticket, *and* there are 3 other similar airlines offering similar fares to get to your destination, no one is going to be offering luxuries after the race to the bottom. None of the US majors are in a ego race to launch new routes to tantalize customers either (like some other national carriers).
True! I might add that airline consolidation and other anti-competitive actions such as monopolizing gates and slots at major airports have not helped the consumer! Airlines that offer a superior service in all classes (eg: JetBlue) are not allowed to grow because of these limitations, and so the effect of any competition is negligible.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
I flew a bunch of BKK-YYZ fare errors on ET, in business class, and for the price it was great however the seats in most cases sucked but the meals were great and the service poor. ADD airport was about as bad as it gets.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I've had better overall service in SQ Y on a 3hr flight then I've had in Polaris on a 10+ hr flight - I don't think UA execs care - these people are not cut from the same cloth as Kelleher[.]
Kelleher? LOL yeah cuz the meals on Southwest's three-hour flights are, like, AMAZE-balls!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I’m the only one, but I actually don’t find the food in UA economy too bad. As a general rule the dinners tend to be quite good, the breakfasts quite bad, and the lunches somewhere in between.

I do most of my flying on UA, so I only have a few days points to compare. UA beats AC hands down on food, and is probably a little behind NH. Looking forward to trying LH this weekend on several flights.

Also agree with the posts above re: the assumption that ET should be worse. Emerging market airlines have led the way in service, passenger comfort and quality for many many years. I’ve heard mostly good things about ET. My only hesitation in flying them would be reduced PQM’s compared to other airlines and my assumption would probably be that they are better, not worse than UA.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Food "quality" is completely subjective. You can bet that if United hired the best chefs and had only gourmet meals, there would still be plenty on this forum who would complain about the mediocre food.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by bluegatorade
Why do people have the implicit assumption that Ethiopian is or should be worse than UA?
Actually I am guilty of automatically assuming the other way
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:38 pm

So I don't have a ton of experience flying ET but have done 4 flights with them in the past 30 days. 2 in Y and 2 in J. Both J flights had excellent service and food. However the Y flights had very disappointing food and consistency. The pasta in one chicken dish was a sticky, mushy mess and my other chicken dish still had pieces that were not completely warmed up. For the first meal 2 of us in our row of 3 didn't get the bread roll we were supposed to get. For the second meal I didn't get the packet of crackers that was supposed to go with the cheese. No salt or knife in the second set of packaged utensils either.

So small sample size but I was not impressed
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If UA could get ET fares and wages, they might reconsider their choices.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
There is a recent precedent for the reversing of poor quality meals in coach and it bizarrely comes in the form of British Airways. (I never thought I'd defend my own flag carrier). After scrapping the second meal on US / Canadian flights and substituting breakfast with a cereal bar / cream cheese pretzel (was really foul) on East Coast flights, BA faced a backlash. The main meal also dived with a poor salad, meat slop with gravy and frozen veg or a veggie pasta meant a lot of disgruntled customers. Even the bag of pretzels was dropped from the pre lunch / dinner drink!! Their share of the market went down, and satisfaction went to an all time low. One of the most relevant markers for a company about future business and market share is a market research question on recommending a company to colleagues, friends and family. This has also dropped and is a clear indicator that you're losing business. Admittedly, Virgin has given BA a run for their money and set the bar high in coach. The online forums and reviews slated BA for food and frankly it was becoming embarrassing for BA to read.
However in the last 6 months or so, BA have reintroduced the second meal on daytime flights - albeit half a sandwich and a chocolate biscuit. Also the main meal has gone four course with cheese and biscuits added, better quality entrees, a better desert etc etc And mid flight, a (small) ice cream is offered.
Small steps costing a few quid per pax, but enough to stop the slide and start some positive reviews
It's not a great improvement but it was at least recognition of an issue and that people will vote with their feet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.