Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

Almost all of my UA flights are long haul TPAC flights. My most two recent flights are SFO-NRT-SFO.

Well... imagine my surprise when I flew Ethiopian Airlines for the first time on a similar 5000-mile flight.

The coach meals that I had had better presentation, better quantity and better taste... (compared directly to the UA meals that I'm used to on flights of similar length)

Sorry... end of rant...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Did SFO-SYD recently on a mileage run, I have to agree that UA long haul Y meals have fallen into the category of disgusting and uneditable - even tho my expectation was already low.

Luckily, on the way back I flew Air NZ which was much much better.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by geometry
Why?
This is why:

Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by narvik
Why?
This is why:

Truth!
UA continues to cut FF benefits, jam more torture seats on its 10-across long-hauls, cater the cheapest food possible, etc. all in the pursuit of one thing---Profits.

With all of the majors doing the same in the US, and demand at all-time highs, there is no downside to decreasing the quality of the product-at least not until a recession hits.
narvik and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA is a for-profit business. It has an obligation to its shareholders. To the extent that cutting the quality of its meals is cutting its net revenue, owner (shareholder) equity, and this ROI, that would be a bad thing. But, apparently it is not.

The customer for TPAC are the large corporate accounts. So long as those companies are OK with lousy food, that is what the food will be.

Thus, if you prefer the food on ET and find it to be better value, you should fly it on your next TPAC.
Miggles and YYCowboy like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
UA has a vision and formula for success but they make a lot of unforced fumbles. That stock price would be even higher if they'd realize that cuts aren't the only answer- cut where needed but transform the brand and develop a truly premium product people want to pay for instead of just tolerate to get them from point A-B..
BeanTownBoy and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott

Almost all of my UA flights are long haul TPAC flights. My most two recent flights are SFO-NRT-SFO.
How many TPAC routes does UA directly compete with Ethiopian, or any long haul route for that matter? The answer to my question will help you find the answer to your question.
chebert999 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Why signaling out Ethiopian Airlines? UA meals are below most of *A airlines.

BTW, I am looking forward to fly Ethiopian next week to/from JNB.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:12 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
You can't blame UA alone for the service and amenities being crappy. Like so many things, the outcomes you observe are dictated by the rules, not the players.

UA exists in a consumer, labor, and economic environment that does not reward excessive / outstanding service for domestic airline travel. When flying is as rote as taking a bus to work, and people are unwilling to pay more for a ticket, *and* there are 3 other similar airlines offering similar fares to get to your destination, no one is going to be offering luxuries after the race to the bottom. None of the US majors are in a ego race to launch new routes to tantalize customers either (like some other national carriers).

Take your example of Ethiopian. A flight from ADD-CPT. There is one (1) flight per day, by anyone -- they are the only carrier. In fact many of their flights are 1x/day. Their labor costs are different from in the US. If EWR-LAX had that kind of competitive environment, UA might offer nice meals in coach as well.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by narvik
Why?
This is why:

Agreed.

There is no penalty to go to the bottom right now. Economy is good, seats are selling briskly, and frankly UA and others look at Spirit and sees it pays absolutely no cost for treating people more like cargo than people.

When the economy turns, will it be different? I wish but I have my doubts. When the economy turns, corporate depts will try to squeeze every single dime they can out of their travel budgets. United will also hurt. Do you really think that they then will go upscale?

Maybe a long-term visionary would do it. That person would understand that long-run there is more money/stability to be SQ than Spirit. But I doubt very much there will be a leader in UA with the guts to get it done. More likely they will ask unions to cut on pay, ensuring surly FAs for years to come, and try to find a way to cut down costs where they can. Hey, who said they needed to serve food at all on TPAC anyway? Have people bring their own stock!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Are you kidding? I got food poisoning last time I ate the food in Economy flying out of ADD on ET...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I have basically given up on airline food. When doing a long flight out of IAH we usually just eat in Pappadeaux in the terminal. On going to Rio for xmas I declined the meal. When we were coming back having eaten in the Star Alliance lounge we declined the airline meal.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This won't change. PE will mean differentiating the product even more.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum

Well... imagine my surprise when I flew Ethiopian Airlines for the first time on a similar 5000-mile flight.

The coach meals that I had had better presentation, better quantity and better taste... (compared directly to the UA meals that I'm used to on flights of similar length)

Sorry... end of rant...
Why do people have the implicit assumption that Ethiopian is or should be worse than UA?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:52 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by bluegatorade

Why do people have the implicit assumption that Ethiopian is or should be worse than UA?
Exactly what I was thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.