Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Food was outstanding for this 5 1/2 hour intercontinental flight. Service was good and FA friendly.
I think this is one of those situations where the picture doesn't do the meal justice. Visually, at least for me, the beef pictures look really unappealing.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think this is one of those situations where the picture doesn't do the meal justice. Visually, at least for me, the beef pictures look really unappealing.
Picture can only do so much. My partner and I made the same comment as you did on the visual of the beef appetizer and the entree beef dish.
The appetizer beef was better than the entree beef dish.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 30, 2019 at 4:04 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by grapegrower
Goodness, imagine going without food for 14 hours!
The horror...civilisation is surely ending!
If things are so bad I guess it’s either that, eat before you board or take your own.
I strongly disagree. As someone who often flies for over 20 hours (once 42 hours) including tight connections, onboard food matters a lot! There's only so much food you can carry on board with you and access in tight spaces during a flight. I fly UA a lot, but I'm no fanboy. Their food is terrible. Not only is it unappetizing, it's also terribly unhealthy: full of carbs. Those of us who have dietary restrictions for health or cultural/religious reasons, can and do order special meals. But these special meals are often worse, and sometimes never arrive. So I've stopped ordering them. Instead, I get the regular meal and leave out all the carb-filled foods (which is, unfortunately, most of what's served) and complement it with food I bring on board. And, no, I'm not avoiding carbs due to some new-age fanciful diet, but because I have to (I've ended up at the end of long flights being sick; once the ground-staff had to call medical personnel to attend to me).

If it weren't for the fact that UA has E+, I'd always fly their partners on international flights. Even LH, which has deteriorated over the years, serves far better food. Almost every major international carrier -- including oft-maligned ones -- serves better food than North American airlines.

In int'l business class, however, that's a different story. I like UA's service: hard as well as the soft product. The food is very good too. You get plenty of choices in terms of taste, dietary restrictions, etc. I prefer their service over LH, LX, CA, for instance. I've never flown business on SQ or EK, but would like to experience that one day.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by grapegrower
Goodness, imagine going without food for 14 hours!
The horror...civilisation is surely ending!
If things are so bad I guess it’s either that, eat before you board or take your own.
it is a horror and possibly emergency if you are a hypoglycemic or diabetic. and if irrops occur then you are at the mercy of the carrier.
thebakaronis likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 30, 2019 at 10:12 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s); personal attack
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by prestonh
it is a horror and possibly emergency if you are a hypoglycemic or diabetic. and if irrops occur then you are at the mercy of the carrier.
Then take some personal responsiblity and plan ahead with your own necessities/food. The diabetic in my immediate family does. They're smarter than to allow themsleves to be in a life therateneing sititution as a result of someone else's shortcomings.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 30, 2019 at 10:40 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Who cares about coach? Honestly that's where UA should be saving money so tickets are cheaper for the all of us in all cabins - I rather have them spend money on improving the Y cabin seats. Also just plainly not serving food on short haul actually saves them a lot of fuel money, which magnifies the cost savings effect.

That said - I do wish UA improved the quality of their J cabin meals, along with food offerings in the UA clubs. That would be nicer to have and less of a cost jump for them.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by fearless2357
Who cares about coach? Honestly that's where UA should be saving money so tickets are cheaper for the all of us in all cabins - I rather have them spend money on improving the Y cabin seats. Also just plainly not serving food on short haul actually saves them a lot of fuel money, which magnifies the cost savings effect.
That said - I do wish UA improved the quality of their J cabin meals, along with food offerings in the UA clubs. That would be nicer to have and less of a cost jump for them.
Yes, I am sure if UA cuts costs in one area - it will surely lead to an improvement in another.
They will definitely not just keep the money from cutting costs as profit.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by gmt4
Then take some personal responsiblity and plan ahead with your own necessities/food. The diabetic in my immediate family does. They're smarter than to allow themsleves to be in a life therateneing sititution as a result of someone else's shortcomings.
i wasn't speaking for myself. food and water are basic human needs and I specifically mentioned irrops

Last edited by prestonh; Jan 30, 2019 at 10:58 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by gmt4
Speaking as a diabetic, one would also adjust their basal and bolus doses of insulin to account for the reduced consumption of food. I also always travel with multiple bags of candy and gatorade chews. I assume many other diabetics do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.